20" cinema display for gaming

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by m.r.m., Aug 17, 2004.

1. m.r.m. macrumors regular

hi guys,

i've searched and found many threads discussing the new monitors, but one hardly ever finds someone owning one posting a comment on the gaming capabilities. basically what i want to do is connect the display to my pc (athlon64 3000+, 9600xt etc.) (to be able to play counterstrike) and connect it to my 12" powerbook as well. now, most feel that the 16ms response time is enough to avoid ghosting, but i'm still not really convinced. has someone connected the new displays to a pc and run fast paced games? what are your experiences? thanks all.

if only counterstrike were available for macs with the same performance. i could leave the windows world behind me.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I really don't think it'll matter if you use a PC or Mac to game. The display will perform the same.

The Apple LCD will be as good as any LCD with a 16ms response time, I'd think. Since it'll work equally well for both PC and Mac, if you have any experience gaming with a 16ms LCD, then you already have an idea of the gaming capabilities of this LCD.

CRTs are still better for gaming, but the response of this LCD is going to be as good as it gets for a somewhat large LCD.

3. mms macrumors 6502a

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't think LCDs get much faster than that, especially at that size.

4. m.r.m. thread starter macrumors regular

i have no experience with 20" lcd displays. i tried out smaller lcd's about a year back and found them unsatisfactory. i was just wondering, if maybe someone has actually played counterstrike or quake on the display and how the display performed. i have a 4 year old 19" iiyama crt monitor (which is still fantastic), but i'd like to upgrade to lcd.

5. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I was considering doing the same thing as you, but two things kept me from making the purchase...

One, not all games support the resolution of the 20" cinema display...

And 2, I'd cry if I paid over $1000 for an LCD and it had a few stuck or dead pixels...

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek