20" Cinema Display: Thoughts After the Buy

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jaw04005, Mar 1, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The FedEx guy delivered my 20" Cinema Display today. He was almost as excited as I was, he kept commenting on how awesome it looked.. I was beginning to wonder if he was wanting to watch me open it... lol! Currently my 12" Powerbook is off being serviced, so I hooked the display up to my PC (using the ADC to DVI brick). First thing I did, was check the pixels--I have 1 stuck red pixel in the left center of the screen. It bothered me at first, but after I started doing other things.. I don't even notice it. I think I'm really going to be pleased--its just the right size and the resolution/quality seems to be amazing. If you live close to an Apple retailer (although I don't) I would recommend physically purchasing the display so that you can make sure there are no dead/stuck pixels. Despite that minor issue, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm debating the 20 and the 23. What are your thoughts on the price/size difference for you? what made you not splurge for the extra room?

3. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I’ve always been a fan of desktop computers, however this year I decided to purchase a Powerbook 12” because I wanted the ability to edit video on the go. Soon after I realized that the 12” just did not provide enough screen real estate for doing that kind of work. So that’s how I justified the purchase of a display.

About 6 months ago, I started shopping around and checking out a few other brands—Formac, Sony, etc. I drove 3 hours to the Apple Store in Memphis and looked at the different choices there. I was sort of stunned by both the 20” and 23”. Although the 23” Cinema is obviously larger by specs, I couldn’t justify the price increase from the 20” Cinema. Well… rumors spread about Apple updating the displays to match the G5, etc.. so I’ve waited and waited. Finally, last week I decided to go for it.

I've been told that the 20" uses a newer technology compared to that of the 23" and 17". I do NOT know if that is true or not. Nevertheless, go check out the displays in person.

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you can't really edit on the go with a seperate 20" display can you? it would have been cheaper to get the powerbook 17" plus you would have gotten a 300mhz+ speed boost.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have the 12"PB right now with the 20" display to work with video. It works fantastic and I think the 23" is not worth the price. 20" is enough for now and what I'm gonna do next is to upgrade the ram of the PB. I'm gonna be very pissed when apple realise a new 12" PB with faster processor and for sure iluminated keyboard and firewire 2. That would be my perfect choice.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

congrats on your display. I have the 12" rev. B PB as well, and I am lusting after the 20" display to go with it.

You can probably make the stuck pixel disappear. What you want to do is gently but firmly hold the back of the display behind where the pixel is stuck with one hand. With the other hand, use a clean, soft cloth and rub the stuck pixel. Use a circular motion and don't press directly in to the display - rather, just apply pressure as you massage the area.

I know, this sounds absurd, but it works. I've done it successfully on both an ibook and an imac G4. The pixel may stick again; if it does, just repeat the process. Chances are, it will eventually go away and never come back.

Good luck, and enjoy it.

7. Jennifer macrumors member

I am fascinated by this method! This is obviously not something that Apple recommends so how did you figure this out?

I ask because I too had a dead pixel area on my screen but asked (well, begged is more like it) to fix it and they did. Everyone kept telling me they wouldn't do it and I was pretty freaked out until I powered up the fixed computer.

Now that I reflect back on the whole experience, I am frustrated by the acceptance of stuck pixels. Apple kept telling me: "one is within specs". The Apple Authorized Dealers: "three is within specs" and "12 is within specs". Well, where are these specs? I took a look around--at my warranty, at the online specs . . . and nowhere are dead or stuck pixels mentioned at all!!! Are theses specs proprietary to Apple or something because if they're not freely accessible to the consumer, why should we accept even one?

Perhaps this is all cliche or so years out of date, but this is my first experience with it and it seems to me riduiculous!! :mad:

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

nope, stuck dead pixels come from all manufacturers - on TVs too. That method has been floating around for a few years now. it works a lot of the time too!

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I have an MDD PowerMac, and I used a 17" Studio Dosplay with it, but I felt like I didn't have enough space a lot of the time. So I treated myself to a 20" Cinema Display with graduation gift money, and I absolutely love it. It's the perfect size.

And I think it's a lot better than the 23" display in at least one sense: the whites are a lot whiter, the colors brighter in general. If you can look at a 20" and a 23" side-by-side at a store you'll see that the difference in display quality is quite dramatic. I read a lenthy thread about this about a little under a year ago (probably at MacNN, IIRC), and a lot of other people agreed. Some who had the money to buy 23" models decided to settle for the 20" (or buy two of them :) ) because of the difference.

Mine has no dead pixels. I've owned it for about 9 months now. Once I cleaned it and a little fluid got below the bezel before I could stop it. Shortly thereafter, I noticed a dead pixel in the lower left corner (very nearly the lowest, furthest left pixel in the corner)--it showed white no matter what it should have shown. The odd thing is that it went away after I upgraded to Panther. So I think it might have been a software problem of some kind, but I'll never know for sure.

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I have both a 23'' and a 20''. The 20'' has noticably better quality, but if you didn't have them side by side you would never think twice about it. The 23'' quality is still very good, and it is really much much bigger than the 20''. Either one is a good decision, but if price was an issue I'd go with the 20''

11. unixkid macrumors member

pixel response?

hows the pixel response time on the 20" and 17". Im thinking of geting a 20" or 17" so are they fastest enough for video or games?

12. Soire macrumors regular

What about Display Updates?

What about it? Think it will be another year or so till they release new displays? I'd love a 20" but isn't $1,300 a little steep at this point in time? And if they aren't going to update, how about price drops- rumors, reports, speculation?? :confused:

13. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I thought stylistic updates were due a year ago. Last summer, at the very least, when the last sign of clear plastic casing disappeared with the retiring of the G4 PowerMac. But Apple marches on with the same old lineup that matches nothing else.

Is an update due? Yes. But that doesn't mean we'll see one any time soon.

However, judging by past performance, I wouldn't expect to see the current lineup be sold at a reduced rate. After they update the lineup (whenever that will be :rolleyes: ) they might sell some refurbs at a discount that are actually brand new displays. But how will you ever know--and why would you want to take a chance on that when dead pixels are already common in new displays?

14. Stojamow macrumors regular

I have the alBook 15" and I am also editing video. 17" display is too big so I made my choise between 12" and 15". Considering the fact I do use the laptop on the road very often and as it will act as a major editing system much of the time I desided to go for 15".

I have been planning to buy 20" Cinema Display during this year. I will put my PB on stand See here and the Cinema display on the side which will give me proper work station with optional mobility with external keyboard etc. I think.

When it comes to price I think the price of 23" is unjustified. As you are asked to pay something like £700 extra ($1000+ ? ...yes, I am staying in England at the moment) and just putting something like 15% more money you get 2 x 20" displays I would not go to 23" any circumstances as long as I have to pay for it ;)

15. phonic pol macrumors regular

Display updates

I'm going to wait until the Rev B powermac's are out; there's a good chance that new displays will accompany them. Speculation is pointing towards the end of this month so on balance I'd say an extra month of waiting may be worth it.

16. bassbuzzard macrumors newbie

Well....

The 23" is really much bigger than the 20". If you have the cash, there's really no question what monitor you should buy, the 23". Eventually it all comes down to screen size, those telling you they decided to go with the 20" are just trying to justify that they did not have the $ to buy the 23". I'm working as a graphical artist in a big newspaper, and we only use the 23". We have no complaints what so ever according these displays, just go for the 23".

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I have a 20" Display.

It is soooooo beautiful, I absolutely adore it.

I do have a stuck pixel, almost in the dead center of the screen. I'm going to try the trick listed above when my G5 comes in and I have something to hook my purty display to.

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. The 20" was the perfect size for me, because space is it at utmost premium in my room. I could have bought the 23", but the beast wouldn't have fit on my desk.

It's not like the 20" has a small screen itself.

19. thecombatwombat macrumors member

Hey, I'd heard this was possible before but never bothered to give it a try until now, I snagged Dead Pixel Identifier from macupdate and went ahead and tried this on a very irritating red pixel near the center of my lovely 15 inch albook. The pixel has popped up a few times in the 20 minutes or so since I've made it go away but I'm hopeful it'll eventually go away for good.

Thanks!

20. rollobancher macrumors member

Why dead pixels?

Why would Apple let a LCD go out with dead pixels? I thought they were more pridefull of their products than that ? :confused:

21. Bear macrumors G3

Pixels do die. Some die early. For replacement under warranty, each LCD manufacturer has different requirements for bad (stuck/dead/etc) pixel counts and clumps beofr ethey'll replace the screen.

22. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I saw the 23s being used at a seminar in Boston and fell in love with them, I'm trying to put together financing for a New G4 with a 20" (msrp with ram upgrade and stereo speakers $3,150). I'm using an upgraded G3 (G4-500) with the 17" studio monitor right now but I want more!! (I can't afford Tim Allen or a new computer right now) But damn they are nice.

My biggest concern was the color acuracy with the LCD but at the seminar Gretag Mcbeth had one convincing show, (hands on not just contrived) and all my fears went out the window. Beatiful sharp striking color and detail.
    Kudos to Apple on those.

23. senseibiz macrumors regular

I just purchased the 23". all I can say is WOW this thing is awsonme.