20" Core 2 Duo iMac - high pitch sound!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vd0t, Sep 25, 2006.

1. vd0t macrumors regular

Just wondering if this is normal. There is a constant high pitch sound coming from my iMac. Granted it's fairly quiet..but very annoying!!

2. governor macrumors member

governor

Do you mean like a scraping high pich noise coming from the fan, making it sound like a Kitchen Clock??

I had this problem on my imac C2D, and it's terribly annoying.. I called apple and got a new computer in exchange..

3. Sobering macrumors regular

Maybe use your built in microphone in GarageBand and try to capture the sound. Unless it's too quiet.

I'm not sure what would be making that noise.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it's fairly quiet then it might just be the CPU, in which case this is probably nothing to worry about. :)

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

That's the sound of the CPU thinking eh?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, or it's whining about the lack of Merom updates.

7. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

I've noticed a buzzing noise which is noticeable at times even with background noise, dunno what it is but it's starting to annoy me

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

9. astewart macrumors member

I don't have this problem with my 20" C2D iMac, its whisper silent.

Have any of you tried resetting the SMU yet? :
    1. Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
    2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
    3. Wait 10 seconds.
    4. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
    5. Let go of the power button.
    6. Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.

Give that a try.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

But it already has Merom inside...

11. vd0t thread starter macrumors regular

I just gave that a try and the fans went crazy! They were spinning at full force.. or so it seemed.

I then tried Apple's instructions on how to reset the SMC (same thing?).
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303446
    That brought the fans back to normal (still with high pitch hissing).

As I've said before, the sound is not super loud. I can only hear it with my windows closed and no other sound in my room - but that is usually the case!

Do you think Apple will do something about this? Perhaps a replacement?

12. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

If the noise isn't normal (which is hard for me to say) then yes, I expect Apple would fix it.

13. astewart macrumors member

If you have tried resetting the SMC and SMU already and there is No Change, then I would definitly give apple a call.
    Again, I hear almost no noise from my iMac, so I don't think that is normal.

14. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Record the sound somehow, and then give us a link or send it to me and i will put it on my website, to be honest mine buzzing noise isn't that loud and it isn't really a buzzing sound, but nobody else has noticed, i'm just a perfectionist, which i don't like because I'll pick up tiny little faults that nobody else notices and wouldn't care about

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I just received my new 24" iMac, and it is dead silent. I don't think the noises you are hearing are normal.

The low hum of my titanium PowerBook's fans are much louder than the iMac, which runs absurdly quiet.

16. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Plug in a USB memory stick (if you have one). Does the sound go away?

17. vd0t thread starter macrumors regular

Tried it - not sure how this would work! But still the same sound.

18. vd0t thread starter macrumors regular

I think the noise is coming from the power supply. Do you think Apple will be willing to just replace the power supply?

Edit: on second thought, it may be the hard drive! Is the hard drive located at the top left corner?

19. MacProGuy macrumors regular

I have to agree... while my machine does give off a considerable amount of heat ... it is absolutely absurdly quiet.

20. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

My 17" C2D iMac has a faint hum I can hear with my ear 1" from the LCD. Fortunately I rarely find it useful to have my ear that close since I can't see the display with my head that way :).

21. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm with the rest of the guys my 20" Core 2 Duo is pretty much silent unless I put my ear near the exaust vent then I can hear the fans and hard drive, but nothing that sounds like a high pitched whine.

I'd take the machine back to Apple for repair/replacement.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would agree only you have to be careful with who you are talking with at Apple. Some reps will say its normal,others may not. I just got a 1.66 Mini that made what I call a buzz/hum fan/pwr supply sound. Sitting in front of it you knew it was on. Needless to say they wanted me to drive over to the next city so they could dig into it but to keep a long story short it went back:( but now I think ill just wait for the next revision since Im still upset about the "GMA950". A new product shouldnt annoy you.

23. vd0t thread starter macrumors regular

I called Apple and they ordered a replacement for me :) I'll update the thread when my new iMac arrives.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Very good for you & Apple. I have had 6 Macs and Apple has allways stood behind its stuff for me. Now if I can only get them to build a Intel Cube!