???20" Dell 2007WFP or 20" ACD???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ronni3, Dec 27, 2006.

1. ronni3 macrumors regular

I would love to have the extra screen real estate with the Dell, but I don't want to end up with a monitor full of issues, on the other hand, the 20" ACD would be gorgeous due to its more accurate color.

The only thing I don't like about the ACD is the warranty. The ACD comes standard with a 1 year warranty, any additional warranty costs a little more. The Dell comes standard with a 4 year warranty, so obviously I am covered should anything happen.

I think I just answered my own question. Either way, I would appreciate feedback, opinions on either monitor/panel, etc.

2. mac000 macrumors 6502a

go for the dell, you also get the component cables on the back and the extra resolution + size. or wait till macworld see what types of upgrades the displays get. but, apple's displays will always be more expensive

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

There has been much discussion of this, do a search. But, in this case, sounds like the Dell would be a better choice. It won't be bad, some argue the dell's are better then ACD's in many ways. The extra screen space and warranty is a plus.

4. LeviG macrumors 65816

Screen colour accuracy can be adjusted with the right tools and iirc both the dell and the apple both use similar panels, cant remember the exactly what they are though but I know its not tn panels which have issues with colour according to a lot of reviews.

Me I would go for 20" apple purely on the looks and deskspace front but if I was offered the 24" dell I would take it and spend a bit of time tweaking colours to match my printers :)

5. ronni3 thread starter macrumors regular

20" Dell 2007WFP or 20" ACD???

What would be the major difference between the 20" Dell & ACD, besides the price? Is one preferred over another? Any reasons why?

I intend to buy a Mac Pro and am trying to stay under $3000. If I go with the 24" Dell, I will have to cut back on certain parts in the Mac Pro. I want the Dual 2.66GHz CPUs, 2GB Ram, X1900 XT. If I plan on remaining under $3000, I would have to cut back the CPU to the 2GHz version and the memory to 1GB.

Help me out here!

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The 2007FPW Dell 20" differs from the well respected but discontinued 2005FPW 20", it's not as accurate. I have both, I like the older one better.

7. ronni3 thread starter macrumors regular

So I take it the 20" ACD would be the better bet? I realize we will be hearing news in January about ACD upgrades, but in the event that doesn't happen, would the ACD be the best choice, or is there something else I could consider?

8. ronni3 thread starter macrumors regular

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I hear that. Dell replaced my Busted USB ports but otherwise perfect 2005FPW with a malfunctioning 2007WFP.... piece of crap :mad:

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I love my 2007WFP, except that it doesn't rise up as high as I like (of course, the ACD doesn't raise or lower at all). Anyone who told you the ACD is more color accurate than the 2007WFP wasn't being totally honest; most revisions of the 2007 use the exact same panel as the ACD. Mine does. Colors and brightness look identical to the screen in my 20" iMac.

I think the 2005fpw was a great monitor for most, but I didn't care for it because of backlight bleed and because it's not as accurate as the newer models.

11. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

I had a 2007wpf and i had it hooked up next to my 24" imac and the screen brightness and clarity was day and night, i didnt like the dell i got rid of it. The 24" is enough screen real estate for me.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Yeah, I thought that too, then I realized that Dell ships the 2007WFP with the brightness set to 50%. Smacked myself in the face, turned up the brightness, lived happily ever after.

13. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

maybe its just me i re-did all the setting maxed the brightness and it didnt even barely stand up to the mighty 24" iMac

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

For the price of the 20" Apple you can buy the 24" Dell.

No contest really on regards to value for money.