20" Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aaagat111, May 21, 2006.

1. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

I am thinking of buying a 20" Apple LDC Monitor, to go along with my Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz. I feel like having more screen space to work on (both screens) would be a big plus, and a bigger screen in general would be nice.

Is there anyone who has bought the 20" to go along with either the powerbook or ibook? What difference did it make, especially if you had both screens running at the same time, which I plan to be doing.

Also in what ways did you find the monitor very beneficial, and was it worth the price for the 20". Any regrets?

Thanks,

AAA

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

This isn't an answer to your question, just a suggestion. If you can afford it go for the 23". The extra width makes a massive difference - I'm in love with mine.

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I have a powerbook 1.5 GHz and MacBook and i'm trying to think how I survived without my 23" display.

Just a tip, at a brick and mortar apple store, you can get a refurb 23" for the same price as a 20" (that's what I did:D )

I jsut like it because of all the extra space to put windows and such.

4. aaagat111 thread starter macrumors regular

aaagat111

I was considering that, yet I found an awesome price on the 20, $500, and am tight on money, so an extra $800 for 3 more inches is not worth it for me.

5. aaagat111 thread starter macrumors regular

aaagat111

6. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

It's silly, but have you considered the Dell 20"? Yes, it's not as sexy, but you do save $100-200.

7. aaagat111 thread starter macrumors regular

aaagat111

Yea, I just like the look of the Apple monitors way too much to get anything else. The apple displays match my powerbook, and I can't find any other display that looks as nice.

Now I am just wondering what is the lowest price I can find it for, from a trusted site

8. arcsbite Guest

seems shifty

"Most suppliers or on-line shops require you to buy thousands of items at a time, as only then can they provide you with the prices that we can. We've eliminate that by setting up a MOP (minimum order price), so all our customers can buy whatever they want, plus a little more. MOP is set to $599.00"

plus, under "contact us" it's just a web form, no company info at all.

Edit: Our only payment method is Western Union.
    *red light*

9. Atlasland macrumors 6502

BIG F***ING RED LIGHT!

$324!!! My A**.

Too good to be true. Stay away my friend, stay away.

10. thecheda macrumors 6502

advice.

hey,

i own a macbook pro and a 20 inch apple cinema display. they go well together, but i am regretting picking up the 20 inch rather than the 23 inch. dont save the couple hundred. just do it and get it over and done with. it will last you for the next 5 years. the real estate is so beneficial, that is if you really need the real estate :p.

11. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Ha Ha, I filled in their web form for a couple of them (minimum order) to see if it was a secure connection, the first form asks for your address and contact details (not secure) then they do not offer a checkout, instead they ask you to wait 24 hours while they "analyze" your order. In other words they need to work out if you are really as stupid as they hope.

EDIT: I wrote to the company that host's their website dreamhost.com to get their opinion on this obvious scam.

12. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Well as somebody who owns a 20" screen (the Dell 2007FPW) let me tell you that 20" is a fantastic size, but I agree with what others have said that the 23" is really the sweet spot for screen resolutions and doubling as a decent size TV monitor if you so choose to use it that way.

In terms of buying an Apple one, the build quality is just really fantastic. My only qualm with Apple's screens in comparison to Dells are that there's simply not as many inputs, which may or may not be important to you. To me, paying more for something that looked prettier with less options didn't seem like a good deal (that and I got my monitor for free* with the PC). If you're not greatly opposed to buying something from Dell and looking to save some cash you can pick up the 2007FPW for less than $400. If you're willing to pull the trigger on the 24" size, it's gonna run you $950 from Dell and $1,299 from Apple.

And if you are buying Apple, it would seem likely they'd add iSights to the cinema displays in the near future as it appears they're doing it on all their other hardware (MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac).

Good luck :cool:

*-bundle deal

13. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone