20 free Napster downloads w/purchase of a Gateway PC; why not Macs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sweetfeld28, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    I was wondering if anyone else happened to have seen the new Gateway commercial? It states that with the purchase of any new computer (i think?) they will include 20 free music downloads from napster.com. Do you think that Apple should give away free music downloads with the purchase of any new computer; if so, how many? Would this a good or bad idea?
  2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    Hmmm...that's basically a $20 value...nice, but I am not sure how many heads it would turn.
  3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    No big deal

Apple's giving away 2 Free downloads per week. Assuming they do this for a year that equates to 104 free tracks annually, for the mathmatically challenged. With no computer purchase required

Someone please explain to me how this is special?
  4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Two??? I thought there was only one free song per week; unless I'm missing something.
  5. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2003
    Chucktown, SC
    Apple doesn't have to give away 20 bucks to sell a computer.

And anyone who buys a computer because it came with twenty bucks in music downloads has a serious priority problem. Then again, anyone who chooses to purchase a Gateway has a serious priority problem.

Also, Apple gives away iLife, which is far more impressive.

This is basically a promotion for Napster, not Gateway. Apple does the same thing all the time. The current offer involves a rebate from HP.
  6. dopefiend macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    And why is that? They make a great laptop.
  7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    in your opinion they do yes. to him no. thats the crazy thing about opinion.. its often unique :p
  8. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    No, they are giving unlimited free downloads for one song every week. You may download that song however many times you want. The thing about the free downloads from Apple is that they choose the song for you, and it's usually crap :(
  9. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    clicked the "quote" button instead of edit and didn't realize it :(
  10. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    I think it would be a nice little promotion.

Uh, maybe because with the Gateway promo YOU get to pick the tracks you download? I've only liked one of the free Apple downloads so far.
  11. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Jun 3, 2004
    east of the West and west of the East
    In addition to the one free song per week (single of the week) available on the home page, there is also a "discovery download" found on a genre page every week, requiring a bit of digging to find it. So far, these "discovery downloads" have been:

Classical: Haimovitz: Truth from Above/Matt Haimovitz
    Jazz: All at Sea/Jamie Cullum
    Folk: Desert Sunrise/Brett Dennen
    Inspirational: Faithful/Fons
    Latin: Maria Moita/Rosalia de Souza