Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.
Originally posted by JamSoft
It's upsetting when you spend $500 of your hard earned money on a product that isn't advertised correctly. No where does apple mention that the 20GB HD is only 18.5. It's especially frustrating when you have a CD collection as large as I do. I sat down one day (before I received my ipod) and carefully went through all of my CD's, picking and choosing which ones I wanted, and at the end calculated if they would fit. I assumed that I would have 20 gigs, so now I have to go back through my CD's and narrow my selection down some more. (not the end of the world, but it really ticks me off)

I want (1) for apple admit to the HD's true size/capacity and (2) to apologize/refund me partially for falsely advertising their product.

-Nate

Dude you are totally over reacting, get a life!!! Your ipod IS a 20gb HD, but ACTUAL FORMATTED CAPACITY is LESS. It is the same with ALL HD's. You don't really know the basics about computers, do you?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Nate... Apple is the best computer company out there, if you expect THEM to apologize for doing the same thing as EVERY OTHER COMPANY IN THE WORLD you are a total loser.

Str8edgepunker

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
Oh god, not again.

Jamsoft is an ass!
Originally posted by JamSoft
It's upsetting when you spend $500 of your hard earned money on a product that isn't advertised correctly. No where does apple mention that the 20GB HD is only 18.5. It's especially frustrating when you have a CD collection as large as I do. I sat down one day (before I received my ipod) and carefully went through all of my CD's, picking and choosing which ones I wanted, and at the end calculated if they would fit. I assumed that I would have 20 gigs, so now I have to go back through my CD's and narrow my selection down some more. (not the end of the world, but it really ticks me off)

I want (1) for apple admit to the HD's true size/capacity and (2) to apologize/refund me partially for falsely advertising their product.

-Nate

Where the hell have you been? In the real world, hard drives have to be FORMATTED. Have you heard of the term FORMATTING A DRIVE? Apparently not as what you're talking about is the real amount of bytes it can hold BEFORE FORMATTING and taking into account the differences between the HD manufacturer's and real world's definition of a gigabyte as mentioned previously in the thread. In your perverse little world, drives don't need to be formatted to use but in the REAL WORLD, one needs to FORMAT A DRIVE to use it. To your statements below, I say to #1, Apple stated that the formatted capacity will be less than actual size and to #2 see #1. Oh yeah and go by a (explative) PC if you feel this way about Apple.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by peterjhill

Well, when you buy a audio tape, or even a music CD-r, you can fit 60 minutes on a 60 minute tape. Or even video tapes. I think it would be nice if apple could have gone with that standard.

i will say that 4000 songs is a proper number. I don't doubt that you could fit 4000 good quality mp3s on the thing.

That's only because analog tapes don't have any bookeeping to do and CDs are always the same format so they can calculate that.

With hard drives, the manufacturer never knows to which system it will be attached and which format it will be hosting, so they can't calculate anything useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.