20 gig color ipod versus 30 gig color ipod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mood, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

are there any real advantages of the 20 gig color ipod over the 30 gig color ipod? Battery life? hdd speed, new software???

i ask this because i'm doing cram and jam, and need to get either one or the other.

also, i plan to have this ipod for like 4 years. is the warranty worth it (like if i "accidentally" broke the ipod for a new 5th generation one :) ), as i have limitd money after buying a 12 inch powerbook.

MANY RESPNSES NOW

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I could be wrong, but I think the 20gb and 30gb color iPods are pretty much technically identical other than the HD size. The 30gb is a little big thicker and heavier, though.

As for AppleCare, it's not a warranty, it's a "service plan". I know, stupid distinction, but a distinction nonetheless. At any rate, it does not cover accidental damage of any sort... Only product malfunctions.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

The 30GB iPod is IDENTICAL to the 20GB iPod. Thickness, weight, software, battery life, etc. are all THE SAME!!! The only difference is Apple is no longer making the 30GB iPod and the 30GB iPod has 50% more capacity than the 20GB iPod.

4. Sam I Am macrumors regular

Nope, the 30GB is a little bit thicker than the 20GB. But other than that, they're the same (besides the capacity of course).

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Not to be too technical, but the 30GB and 20GB color screen iPods are both .63 inches thick, not that's it's very noticeable anyway.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They are identical except for the extra GBs on the 30. I'd suggesting getting a third party warranty from a company called (ironically enough) Mack. It's about $40 for 3 extra years at B&H PhotoVideo.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I think the confusion here comes from the fact that the new 20GB "color" iPod is slightly thinker than the "old" 20GB b/w iPod, but it is identical in size to the 30GB iPod. So the "old" 20GB and 30GB models were not quite the same, but the "new" 20GB and 30GB models are identical other than HDD space.

8. Sam I Am macrumors regular

Yep, that's what I did, I compared the "old" one. I didn't know the new one is thicker than the old one. Sorry for any confusion.

9. animefx macrumors regular

color in the US. we don't add unecessary u's.

just kidding.

10. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

That's some number crunching you did there.

11. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

I have a question, My 20 gb Fourth Generation iPod (non-color screen) broke, if I return it, will apple give me the new color screen iPod?
    I bought this iPod Christmas last year, what will happen?

12. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

You will be given the same iPod that you currently have. I asked if anything happened to my third -gen iPod if it would be replaced with a fourth -gen and the answer was no.

13. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Apparently we don't add unnecessary n's either.