20" iMac G5 flickering screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sprouticus, Apr 19, 2006.

1. sprouticus macrumors member

Hey all, I have a 20" iMac G5 with iSight (3rd generation).

Occasionally, when I plug in and remove peripherals from the back (mostly firewire, but now USB as well), the screen flickers a bit when I jostle with the plug. It's less of a flicker and more of a random dimming and brightening whenever there is activity involving the ports.

Could this be something to worry about?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sounds like a power issue. Is the iSight on? Those things can sap power. I have the iMac before yours (without iSight) and don't have this dimming problem. I'd be interested to hear what others experience is like though.

For science's sake, what other peripherals are plugged in at this time and is the CPU and/or hard drive under intensive load? :)

3. sprouticus thread starter macrumors member

Here's what's plugged in -

JBL Speakers
    Keyboard
    Mouse (in keyboard)
    Printer
    FireWire HDD
    iPod
    Ethernet

Not all that much... It's all hooked into not exactly the greatest surge protector, but this happens both here and at home, and at home I have only ethernet, keyboard, and iPod plugged in.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Do you have an Apple store close by?

I'd take it in ASAP.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Yeah you better head to the Apple Store, once that screen dies, you have no other screen to work with.

Also, other bad stuff can happen inside the computer...

6. sprouticus thread starter macrumors member

I have an Apple store close to both locations (school and home). Unfortunately, I am completely inundated with work for my film classes and I can't afford to be without this for a few days if it needs to be repaired. I'm going to have to stick it out for 2 more weeks.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a screen issue. It sounds more like a power issue. The only thing I can help with in that respect is to tell you to try resetting your SMU.

Now, I think the chances of this being a software-based SMU problem are quite slim but it's worth a try. If it does nothing, then I'd take it into Apple because a faulty power supply has the potential to wreck every other component of the machine (worst case scenario). :(

Good luck. :)