20" iMac or dual 2 PowerMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alien, Sep 6, 2005.

1. alien macrumors member

I'm looking at buying a new computer in the next few weeks (hopefully before October) and was hoping to get some insight as to what I should get.

I guess I'll tell you what I'm currently using as I'd like to get somewhat of a comparison of my current set-up and the two computers that I'm looking at. Right now I'm using a PowerMac G4 667 with 1 gig of ram. I know that either computer is going to be a big increase but if anyone can give me an indication of what to expect it would be greatly appreciated.

The two set-ups and quotes that I got are as follows:
    20" iMac 2ghz
    1.5 gig of ram (third party)
    $2,177 (cad)

dual 2ghz PowerMac
    1.5 gig ram (third party)
    $2,606 (cad)

I'd like to get back into rendering, and I do like to do a fair amount of graphics work as well. I'm hoping to run AutoCAD in virtual PC too as the current company I work for does do quite a bit of CAD work. I'm on a budget so the 20" iMac is nice because I'm able to get a monitor with it as well, but the dual processors will help out with rendering, photoshop, and some final cut pro as well. If I were comparing the iMac to the 2.7 PowerMac if wouldn't be much of a choice... but being that it's the top of the line iMac vs. the low end PowerMac I'm a little more confused about what I should do. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I'm going to wait until after the Expo in the even that Apple does bring out new Macs... but if they don't I'd still like to know what I should do.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

FYI, DO NOT get the RAM from Apple. get it third-party

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look at how you used the current machine ....

If the only thing you did was max out the memory, look at the iMac G5.

If you were swapping HDs or running multiple HDs internally, changing the optical drive, swapping video cards ... look a bit harder at the PowerMac G5.

We don't really know how you've made use of the PM, so people will generally give you their choice.

But base the decision on what you need, not now, but throughout the life of the machine.

If you plan on doing any H.264 -- get the PM -- because that is really limited by the iMac G5 slower FSB bandwidth at higher resolutions. Then again, the software should improve quite a bit to make that less troublesome later on.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would go with the Power Mac G5. Why?
    1) better performance (2nd processor, dual fsb, etc...)
    2) more expandability (video card, pci, ram, etc...)

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I have a dual 2.5 and home and an iMac 1.8 at home, so there is a bigger gap in processor performance than what you are comparing. Keeping this in mind, dual processors are niiiiccceee..... If you are running any processor intensive task having that second one around makes a big difference.

6. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

G5

Hi, you say you are going to be doing some renedering with Cad and photoshop
    and such. I am a Director and regularly do rough edits of commercials and shorts on my G5 Imac, its 1.8, 20" with 1 g of RAM, I do tons of video editing and the iMac is fantastic with a variety of Editing Software, it seems my needs are a bit nore demanding than yours so I would recommend the iMac "top o the line" as opposed to the Dual G5. bottom! The screen is large enough and it is quite portable if you so choose, photogrpher friend of mine takes his on location to show clients on site pics, special carry case he had made!
    Go iMac you will be very happy, especially with all that RAM!
    Cheers
    R

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Most definitely the Dual G5 PowerMac.

If you can get Apple Certified refurbs in Canada
    then try to catch a Rev B. 2.0 dually with the Pro motherboard.

Otherwise I'd get the 2.3 GHz model if you can swing it.

It may also be worth the 3 weeks wait to see what's coming at the ParisExpo later this month.

9. LGRW3919 macrumors regular

for what you'd be into, i'd say the powermac. I do have the iMac 20" and I absolutely love it. It runs well under tiger but i haven't done any video work on it yet. I'm also worried about the heat in the iMac and i don't think i'll have it for as long as i plan to. my recomendation is the PM.

10. alien thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone... You've all been a lot of help. I'm leaning more toward the PowerMac at the moment... my biggest problem is with the value for the dollar question. I'm using an old 17" crt at the moment so the iMac is looking really good, but the powermac seems as though it would have more legs to it. I'll probably hold on to the computer for at least 3 years, so that's a big issue. I guess it'll come down to what happens in the next few weeks. Thanks again, and if anyone else has more input I'd be more than happy to hear it :D

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

A Pro user needs the right tools for their trade.

I understand you're on a budget, but productivity is also important.

Rendering takes power and speed.

I'm thinking you really ought to go for the G5 2.3 dually.
    That machine should hold you quite well for the next 4-5 years.

If you can locate a Rev B 2.0 dually, that's your most affordable solution for
    $1649. USD, This would save you enough to buy a new Dell 20" display $400USD, or better with a Dell 2405 FPW for about $800USD.

If you're going to be doing CAD work, you really should be looking into VECTORWORKS 11
    http://www.nemetschek.net/
    http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/vectorworks11/index.php