20-inch Cinema Display + Gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by fir3fox, May 14, 2005.

1. fir3fox macrumors newbie

I’m in the market for a new monitor and came across Apple’s 20-inch Apple Cinema Display at our local retailer. The image looks flawless and was wondering how it performed while gaming.

Does anyone have any experience gaming on these displays? (Specifically WoW.)

I’ve heard a lot of comment on the refresh rates not being up to the task, but was wanting some comments on some of your experiences gaming on these displays. Thanks in advance!

~M. Gant

2. efoto macrumors 68030

The images look amazing, although on the 23 and 30 inch models you get black bars (similar to that of a movie on non-wide tv) because the image cannot fill the widescreen. The 20" runs a 1680x1050 resolution, which I don't believe is a support res. by most modern games (usually 1600x1200) however this is only from memory so I cannot speak for certain. The specs are on par with that of the *dell* monitor in my sig and I use that for gaming from my pc with good results. I have not noticed any ghosting or image blurrs at all during gameplay. Internet play is a little jerky, a function of the connetion more than the screen I'm confident.

I think you should be fine, and its soooo pretty :D

3. white1827 macrumors newbie

It's great for gaming. World of Warcraft is a site to behold on a 20inch display!

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

There's a thread on the second page or so about Starcraft and 20"

Edit: here

I believe most games get the black lines on Cinema displays. (all current cinema displays are widescreen.) I've also heard that a few games get stretched. :eek: :mad:

5. efoto macrumors 68030

That thread can be found here. This was the thread I was referring to about the black bars....at least I think it was. I didn't read the entire thing over again but it should answer your questions I believe.

6. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Don't believe anyone when they tell you about games not supporting the wide aspect rez. The majority of newer games do have support. Both WoW and UT2k4 support the 1680x1050 rez that i use. :)

7. efoto macrumors 68030

Sorry, double link but it won't hurt. I had a huge gap between when I wrote it and hit submit, someone pulled me away for a few minutes.

Stretching the games sucks, how terrible an idea. I would much MUCH prefer black lines to stretched images anyday.

8. efoto macrumors 68030

To my prior knowledge they didn't, but I am more than glad to hear that my knowledge needs updating. Awesome that they newer games are supporting as the wide aspects of the cinema displays.

I had thought that perhaps the Mac versions of the games might, but I know *most* of the pc game (granted it has been a couple of months since I really cared/looked) didn't support anything other than 'std' resolutions (16x12). Nice news, perhaps I can sell my 2001FP and get a 20" Cinema then....gooooood :D

9. Quark macrumors regular

Strongly recommend Formac

Check out the Formac displays. www.formac.com

I have had the 2010 for quite a while and it is flawless and the pixel response time is much better than the Cinema Displays. You can compare the specs. But also I think it is important to note the resolution is 1600x1200 (for the 2010).

The lighting is clean and consistent from edge to edge. The brightness is better, the color is better, the resolution is better, the pixel response time is better and the contast is incredible. There is nothing else on the market that can match this monitor, period.

Good luck with your selection and happy gaming!!

Take care,
    Quark

10. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Formac does look interesting. The 1900 would actually get black lines on the top and bottom tho, due to it's 1.25 formfactor, opposed to the regular 1.33, or widescreen 1.60.

11. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Apple displays are only so-so for gaming. Problem is, "tearing" occurs any time the game's framerate exceeds the refresh rate of the screen. Locking v-sync only works so-so, and can even lower the framerate below that which is sufficient to reduce the tearing. For WoW, you should be fine, but games like Halo and ET tear quite a bit. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, so I recommend that you try one out before buying.

I have a 17" Apple display, and plan to buy the 23", but not for gaming.

good luck

12. efoto macrumors 68030

What is the rough market price of said monitor? It may be superior in performance, however unless the specs are THAT MUCH better, a dell 2001/2005 FP (as you want) will more than likely come close to matching the performance and will also more than likely not lighten your back pocket as much.
    I have not noticed any tearing or other game-faults on my 2001FP (now nearly 1 year old) while playing WoW, HL2, D3, RavenShield (best game EVAR :rolleyes: ), etc etc. For the price that the dell monitors are at now, with a 20" and 20" widescreen available, I think they are hard to beat, almost disposible at that price...of course for a lasting product with better specs, I too would be interested.

13. Quark macrumors regular

Formac Pricing

It is $599 for the 1900 and $799 for the 2010. Very reasonable for what you get. But, yeah, if the DELL is really that much cheaper and it seems to perform as needed, then go for it! :)

Take care,
    Quark

14. Quark macrumors regular

??

Why couldn't it be run in the 1280x1024 resolution?? Not sure I understand. Does the graphics card not handle that or does the game not handle that? They both should. It is a standard resolution, nothing new there.

Just asking,
    Quark

15. efoto macrumors 68030

Perhaps he was referring to watching movies, not sure though because:
    [quoted from another thread], so not sure about the 1.33 he was referring to.

[edit] I see his 1.33 remark now (1024/768=1.33 whereas 1280/1024=1.25). It should still be fine however since it is a standard res. and is supported by many programs.[/edit]

Games should be just fine at 1280x1024, it is a standard resolution that I believe *all* games support, and unless you have an ancient graphics card, pumping 1280x1024 should be relatively easy task for it....