20 inch iMac Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by capm74, Oct 15, 2006.

  1. capm74 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    #1
    I would like to purchase 20 inch iMac Core 2 Duo in the near future. I will try to use bootcamp to install windows. Any advise from those who use bootcamp already ? Can I play PC games once I installed Windows ? How stable is bootcamp ? If later I update the OS X with Leopard, what happens to my Windows ?
     
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #2
    Boot Camp is a pretty stable application, but it is still in the beta phase, so bugs are going to be a possibility. But once you have Windows installed on an iMac, you can game away to your hearts content. :)
     
  3. capm74 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    #3
    So.....should I buy the iMac now with beta bootcamp or wait until Q1 2007 for the new leopard ?
     
  4. boxlight macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    #4
    I bought a 20" intel iMac last March and I love it. I run bootcamp and installed windows so I can play games and it works great.

    Also, I bought a copy of Parallels Desktop to run Windows apps without rebooting and it works great too -- much better than I thought it would, actually.

    My advise would be to buy the 20" iMac ASAP. You won't regret it. Especially since you'd be getting it for less money and more RAM and a better CPU than I did. Lucky bugger. ;-)

    Leopard will come out next spring, but it's entirely likely you'll choose to stick with Tiger and not even upgrade. Tiger is awesome, and so far I have not seen any Leopard features that are compelling enough to make me spend the money to upgrade. Still, if you (or me!) decide to upgrade when it comes out, it's not too expensive at all -- only $150 or so.

    Enjoy your Mac -- you'll love it, trust me.

    boxlight
     
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
  6. cschreppel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #6
    Yeah, go for it now. The price is really great. Also, since they were just updated not too long ago, we probably won't see another update until Leopard - maybe a processor bump for the holidays.

    Also, when Leopard comes out, there shouldn't be an issue upgrading as Windows will be installed on a separate partition.
     

Share This Page