20 inch iMac G5 Shipped!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BigEvan23, Sep 11, 2004.

1. BigEvan23 macrumors member

BigEvan23

I called up apple today just to see whats up and they said that my order is out for shipping. I should recieve it on Monday or Tuesday. It hasn't been updated online yet but they assure me its good to go!

NIIICE.
    Evan

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your purchase BigEvan23. Hope that you will receive your iMac on Monday or Tuesday. Also congratulations to Apple, should help the stock and impression of Apple with on time deliveries returning.

I hope that you will post pictures of your delivery and setup?

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

This is very good news. Good to hear that Apple may not be as bogged down with this G5 stuff as initial reports hinted, 3-4 week wait and whatnot.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Fantastic news for those of you who jumped on the iMac train early! Perhaps the iMac could have been released in early August, but Apple waited for Paris and just stockpiled those suckers to make a big delivery splash and win back some favor lost on the 2.5 shipment debacle?

POST PICS!!!!!!!!

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

6. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I would be very surprised if this is true. New orders are getting estimated delivery dates of just over 4 weeks from now. Apple must be using very conservative shipping estimates then, in an attempt not to have to push any of them back. Better to get the product shipped before the estimated delivery date than after. Makes the customer much happier. For example, if the iMac shipped Sept. 15 when you had an estimated date of Oct. 1, you would be thrilled, but if those dates were switched you would be pretty upset.

Anyways, I'll believe it when you post screen shots of your order tracking, and pictures of your new iMac. Until then, I'll remain skeptical, so as to not get my hopes up about my iMac shipping early too. Nothing personal BigEvan23, this is purely for my own sanity.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

and benchmarks!

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Anyone that ordered an iMac G5 on August 31 want to call Apple and ask them about shipping status?

9. AndiePandie macrumors regular

Did you get a confirmation email saying that it shipped? I ordered the iMac and applecare. When my applecare shipped I got an email from Apple telling me it shipped and the email also had a tracking number. I would assume the same would happen when my iMac shipped.

If it did indeed ship then a hearty Congrats(!) is in order. :D

10. Voiteur macrumors member

I talked to 'em

I ordered a 20" on Aug 31, and spoke to apple today, was told that Sep 29 ship date was "accurate". I did custom with the 250 hd... maybe their shipping the stock ones.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I did and call BS on this report of a ship date. I even spoke to a supervisor who assured me after a 10 minute conversation that none have or are scheduled to ship yet.

12. BigEvan23 thread starter macrumors member

BigEvan23

UMM NO ITS NOT BS

Maybe this is just my luck but I was one of the first on the block with a 23inch display as well. It is most certainly not BS. I spoke with the rep today. They were just as suprised as I was. I made them repeat the fact that it was shipping and they said its ready to ship today but wont go out till monday because they dont ship on the weekends. They also said that I could expect by Tuesday or Wednesday which is right in line with how long it takes. My most recent comp purchase a 15 inch powerbook shipped on a wednesday and arrived on a Friday from Shanghai (sp?) Anyways, was skeptical too but when the apple rep says its ready to go u better believe I get excited. BTW the system is bone stock. I have had too many experiences with pixel anomalies to purchase otherwise. If you have a problem most apple stores will give you a totally new machine on the spot (this one might cause problems as the inventory is virtually empty). This is not the case however with a BTO machine. So I figured the piece of mind was worth taking a hit on the Bluetooth Adaptor, Mouse and Keyboard.

PS if you wanna see pics of my 23 I was one of the first to post in that thread. Someone was kind enough to host for me and I hope will do the same once the iMac arrives.

13. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I'll believe it when I see a pic of the 20" G5 iMac w/ the screen showing this thread posted here on Monday... or Tuesday.

Photobucket, ImageShack.

14. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Damn you luckey, well hopefully that is a sign that the rest are coming.....
    Well Congrats anyway i believe you i don't think it is BS story (I Read your 23incher luck thread)
    Maybe Steve Likes you or someone up there has great plans for you...
    You know with this Luck you have you should have ordered dual 2.5 Ghz :D
    Even try for the lotto....who knows

Peace
    DjVoTeZ

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'll believe you, but if you don't post pictures, then I'll just stop believing you. No big deal.

You don't need a host. Just take a picture, resize the image so that its only around 50kB or so, and use the Attach Files option at the bottom of the Reply page.

16. BigEvan23 thread starter macrumors member

BigEvan23

Thanks...

Thanks for that posting images tip. Hopefully on monday it will be sent out and be indicated as such on the order status page so I can show everyone whats up. Ill be slightly miffed if it doesn't happen because the rep clearly said it would and I have picked up/ordered my crucial ram, airport card, d link btooth, and btooth mouse and keyboard. Wouldn't it be a shame if I had to let these items collect dust in a box until or before 9/30/04!?!?!?

17. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

They are pretty skimpy on the bto options, I wonder if that was due to make sure that they can meet the early ship dates.

18. Datazoid macrumors regular

Why on earth didn't you order it with the internal module & Apple Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard for $89 (I think) at the time of purchase??? It's an excellent deal, even if it would have pushed your shipping date back a bit, and you wouldn't have to worry about an ugly bluetooth dongle hanging out the back of the iMac.

19. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

20. BigEvan23 thread starter macrumors member

BigEvan23

Visited Apple Store

At my local apple store...roosevelt field, they weren't surpised to hear that I told them my iMac was shipping this Monday. In fact, they were told that they should be recieving units as early as Monday and that they would be at the very least sent out on the 12th and have them in stock after normal transit time. It doesn't seem like this is very top secret information either, so why is it so hard to believe for so many out there?

21. BigEvan23 thread starter macrumors member

BigEvan23

I already have the bluetooth keyboard and a mx900 mouse. I picked up the simple 1 button for my parents and i could care less whats haning out of the back of the imac its really quite small and the back of the machine in my setup will rarely be visible. Trust me once you have had as many pixel problems as I have had, bto is no longer an option and you have to go with the sure thing. I like knowing i can swap a machine on the spot at my local store if need be. Hopefully it wont even be an issue!

22. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

BigEvan23, has an Apple Store really let you swap computers when you have 1 dead/stuck pixel? I thought Apple had a very strict policy on how may pixels had to be bad for them to replace the screen.

23. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

A little off topic...Macboudille are saying that the iMac G5 will run better with two ram sticks of the same size. Surely this machine isn't capable of dual channel???

24. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I thought that it was a function of the way the RAM chips memory controller worked that you'd be better to have equal chips, and not a whole lot to do with the computer itself. I could be wrong though.

25. BigEvan23 thread starter macrumors member

BigEvan23

Yes

Actually, YES! They did it for my girlfriends powerbook and would have done it for my 15 inch 1.5 pbook if I didnt have the 128mb video card and 5400rpm drive. I even asked them today if i have any problems with my iMac whether or not they could help and they said if we have it in stock well swap it for you no problems.