20" LCD's.....Formac or Apple ??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SpaceMusic_Guy, Mar 19, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Who out there knows alot about or has the Formac 20" Digital LCD ?? I've seen the Apple LCD"s in person (20" & 23") but not the Formac. From what I've read about the Formac, it seems to spec a little better than the Apple LCD's (contrast ratio and color accuracy)..........or are they about the same to the eye ??

I'm looking at getting a new G4 in the near future and a Digital LCD monitor to go with it. I do alot of Graphics and Printing so whichever LCD monitor I get needs to be color accurate enough to replace my 21" Hitachi CRT.

So.........which would be the better monitor (especially for color accuracy) ??

Since I just noticed that Formac recently dropped the price of their 20" LCD to $1,399 (very cool !!), that seems to be a better buy than Apple's 20" (which has less screen space from top to bottom because of the Cinema design).

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. macrumors 6502a

Re: 20" LCD's.....Formac or Apple ??

i have the formac 2010 and i love it, at the time apple didn't release the 20 inch LCD so i had to settle for formac's 4:3 ratio. It is a beautiful display though, formac says its the first truly color accurate LCD and you can prove it by buying those pantone color testers which i know nothing about about, but to the naked eye, its a sweet monitor. btw i have the DVI model which is nice since I can use it with a future powerbook.

Tyler

3. macrumors member

IMHO, formac is a sketchy company

I bought two of the 17 inch displays, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

However, I wouldn't buy from Formac again because since I bought the displays, I have had trouble with their customer support on other Formac products (studio, studio dv/tv). Basically, they try to make to so hard to speak to a human being that you give up.

I dread the day that something goes wrong with one of the displays. I don't think that the warranty is worth the paper it is written on.

4. macrumors 6502a

That was eactly what I experienced, too. Their support is horrible. I would never buy another Formac product again. Go with the Cinema Display, it looks much cooler as well.

5. macrumors 68020

mymemory

I would take the Apple LCD just because Apple is doing a very good job with their monitors.

Now, you are talking about colo accuracy, well that is a cons that you have to work out to gather with the price difference.

In my experiene I work with a sony ctr monitor which is not that accurate, I'm 70% of the market out there. Actually, I do not know anybaody with an even 70% color calibrated monitor. I haven't seen one in my life to be honest.

So, what is real is the price and suport. The price is not that different but the support woul be a diference when you need it.

It is your choice, I would take the Apple just because in a few things I can not go around that long.

6. macrumors 65816

benixau

also - you mentioned that apple cut off space at the top? no way. from my understanding - someone confirm apple complies - all LCD ddisplays are measured by their viewable area, unlike CRTs. The means that apple has just stretched it out to give you a 16:10 ratio or 4:2.5 compared to 4:3 for the formac displays.

go with the apple 20". it is as good a 20" LCD as your going to get. and if you have an ADC port its just 'click' (plug in to graphics card) - hummmm (startup sound) - tada, all configured.

7. macrumors 65816

yzedf

If you want color accuracy you need the CRT. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

That being said, I would go with whichever offers the most screen real estate (total pixels). If tied, get the Apple.

8. macrumors 65816

alset

As mentioned above, Apple's support makes their displays worth the extra cash. Hands down.

But if cash is a concern, Formac makes a fine product.

Dan