20" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philbeeney, Nov 4, 2006.

1. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

If Apple released a 20" MacBook Pro, would you buy one.?

How difficult can it be for Apple to add a 20" ACD to the current MacBook Pro form factor and come up with one amazing piece of kit.?

I for one would certainly load it up with all the options and max out my credit card. :D

Does anybody think that Apple may have investigated the possibility based on other manufacturers selling 19" & 20" laptops, and perhaps may release one in the future.?

2. vectormasked macrumors member

vectormasked

:eek: I would never ever buy a thing that big.

making a laptop or notebook that big would be like making a desktop computer as small as 12" so that it becomes sort of portable.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This question comes up fairly often (last time I know of was five days ago), and the majority opinion seems to be that people don't want to carry around a monstrosity of that size. I agree with the majority.

4. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Nope, I wouldn't buy it. That being said I really want a 17" MBP so it's not that I have a thing for small laptops. Apple doesn't really need a 20 incher, the 17 inch has the resolution of a 20" display already, if anything I can see Apple making it a 17.4" inch screen and raising the resolution.

6. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I would certainly buy it. I treat my 17" MBP as a portable desktop anyways (carry around external mouse, keyboard, and midi keyboard, and a stand at all times)

I equate portability with the thin design of apples this makes them easier to fit into bags.

I would love a 20 incher MBP!

7. WJTW macrumors newbie

I would love to have one.

If it weighs less than 3kg.

Which won't be quite possible since the 15.4 inch MBP is already 2.65kg. Of course, one can say that by the time Apple makes a 20inch MBP, materials could get light enough.

The only 20inch I see commonly advertised over at where I stay one of Dell's laptops. I have not even seen it by I have no doubt that it is a monstrosity.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The 17" is 3.1 kg, so no, it's not possible at this point.

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I don't have a picture off=hand but it hugeeee. The screen is separated from the keyboard part by two separate, large, hinges. When you close it up, it takes the form a suitcase. Really. :) And they advertise that as a good thing.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

11. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

^ That cannot possibly be considered "portable" by any means. Besides, who wants to be reduced to a feeble, anemic wreck by carrying around that titan? :p

To me, 17" is kinda pushing it but 20" is a definite no. Way too big, and thus not to be considered "portable". Portable should be defined as something UNDER 10 lbs (4.5 kg).

12. WJTW macrumors newbie

At 8.3kg, I cannot imagine calling that a laptop, and it isn't about the heat. :) No, it won't be called a portable too...

I like the Dell's idea of the 'laptop' being foldable into a suitcase. For those who have strong arms, the weight won't be a problem, and would cause jaws to drop once you open up the suitcase to produce a fully functional computer. But if you do not have strong arms, it could be more than jaws dropping off. :D

I doubt even my desktop computer weighs that much, but then the casing of my desktop (plus components) weighs less than any of the other ones I have. No, it isn't a Mac...

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I would love for Apple to make a 9 inch laptop. That would be so cool :)

14. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ugg no, 20" is too large for a laptop, personally I think the 17"s are a little ridicules. So I'll stick with the 15"s thanks

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I've seen one 20.1" laptop in person at the store among other notebooks. It was HUUUUGEEE! And very ugly BTW. It cost about the same as a 17" MBP, but as 2.5" thick and 7.8 kg :eek: It had 2 HDs though (120GBx2) and a GF7600 GPU.

BTW it's screen resolution was 1680x1050, just like on the 17" MBP ;)