20" new display a good goal to work for, or is it a waste?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whw5, Sep 1, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Hey guys. I've just got my new 12" PB after about half a year of lawn mowing, but I need another big thing to work for and be motivated about. I have decided the new 20" display would be a worthy goal, but is the extra screenspace all its cracked up to be? I use imovie quite a bit as well as garage band so how much more of a luxury is it? Enough to justify the price? I think 12" is a bit cramped so I need a little bit of encouragement before I tackle this goal. I think I am set on it, but any advice is helpful. BTW, I have to save half of everything I make, so I am mostly picking this as a way to keep me working for a long time to get more money in my bank account. {I'm gonna buy a roth ira with my saved money}

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I think it's a good idea to get a 20" display, I've been to the Apple store to check them out and they seem more than adequate.

Ironically, my plan for a computer is about the same as yours: work all summer, buy PowerBook & external CTR and I'm all set. BTW, how did you manage to save ~1600 in 6 months of mowing lawns? :confused: I've been mowing laws for 3.5 months and have only about $300.

EDIT: just realized you don't have to buy an Apple LCD (unless you just want the looks) you could always buy a CTR if you have the space, or get another brand LCD, like Samsung or Sony. They usually have pretty good prices here. Just look under monitors and displays.

3. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

well actually I had a lot of money at the right time. I made about 600 a month working all day on saturdays. But my dad gave me some of his stock options for the company he works for. I bought just as the stock jumped. leaving me up 5000 dollars. I could save half and also pay for my ski-trip with my camp. Plus of course I bought my powerbook, which had been my origional goal anyway. Talk about a bit of luck.

4. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but I figure if I am going to be working for a while, why not just get the best and wait a little longer. The eye candy is worth the wait. :)

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i would save the extra cash for the 23" so you have HD capability. Then your next big buy could be an EyeTV 500 :D.

either way an external LCD is almost a necessity with the 12" for serious work. i bought my 12" basically as a portable movie player, music storage device, email, web, etc. on the go machine, knowing that i would have to use my 17" lcd for serious design work.

I'm currently saving for a 23" and Eye TV 500, I plan on mounting the 23" on my wall and storing the PBook out of sight.
    the 20" is definitely a great option, the extra screen real estate is a godsend. however, if i were spending that much, i'd spend the little bit extra to make sure my monitor was HD capable,

regardless, buy an external monitor, you will love it :D.

6. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about the 23 incher but I dont really think I need the extra space enought to justify the huge price jump that plus HD capibilites. My parents have tivo so i'm waiting for TiVotogo, which will allow me to stream stuff on our tivo to my computer over our network. However i'm used to regular TV quality and we don't have any High Def channels so i don't think I really need the 23".

7. MUrhino macrumors regular

MUrhino

"little bit" ?!? Last I checked $700 isn't a "little bit" for an extra 3" of diagonal screen space and HD. Just buy an actual HD LCD TV if you're going to watch TV and Movies on it.

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

well if you can't afford it then don't buy it. $700 isn't that much money. c'mon, how much did the hardware to actually drive the monitor cost you?

a 12" is a bit underpowered for a 23" monitor however, so the 20" is a more realistic choice.

9. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone heard any news on TiVotogo? Its supposed to come out for PC this fall and mac a little later. I may be wrong but does anyone have any info?

10. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

To me $700 is another couple months of work. I guess it all depends on how much you make. However, I have heard about black dots on the 23" screens when driven by a 12" PB and I mean come on. Its 20 inches. Thats huge compared to 12". 700 just isn't worth it to me for a little extra. 200-300 more I would pay for but one does get sick of mowing lawns.