Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
despite what people may think about Dell, this is a pretty good deal.

arn

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
It truly is a good deal. The only problem is that I can't swallow the Dell name. Look what Apple has done to me. :)

By the way, does Dell make wide-screen monitors, and for that matter, any PC maker?

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
SGI was first one that I know of. And man, that bastard cost a...ahem...bunch back in the day.

Those Syncmasters are considerably more expensive than the Cinema display now...but also 1" bigger...and they do TV and video on top. But 4k is a lot to spend on a 24" television these days...

xmlguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
Phoenix AZ
Originally posted by Freg3000
It truly is a good deal. The only problem is that I can't swallow the Dell name. Look what Apple has done to me. :)

By the way, does Dell make wide-screen monitors, and for that matter, any PC maker?
Actually Dell's flat panels are just rebadged Samsung models...

For example, Dell's 19" FP is basically the same as this Samsung model:
http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=191T-Silver

Just for comparison, CDW is selling that Samsung for $727
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=372304

... so $599 isn't bad at all

I just wish I hadn't paid $1600 for a 20" Viewsonic back in November... a couple of months before Apple's 20" came out $400 cheaper :(

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I was *given* a Dell Flat Panel FP1750 about a year ago for my Power Mac - it makes for a conversation piece whenever someone is over; ``How can you have a Dell screen on a Mac? Did you have to do something special to it?'' Sigh :)

Anyway; I've never had any problem with it. Obviously, though, its got a VGA connector.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Hrm it looks like they changed it. Now it's 25% off, but not on the 19", and not on the thin models that are pictured with the mac. The ones on the site are much uglier, although the price on the 18" and 20" are pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.