20" or 23" Monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Richocity, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Richocity macrumors newbie

I've just about had it with all the speculation on when Apple will rev the PM so I'm just going to go ahead and purchase a PM MP 2ghz machine now. I mean, it still kicks a**, right? The only thing is I can't decide on which monitor to buy, the 20" or the 23".

The current promotion makes getting the 23" very tempting. However, I've heard that the 23" is relatively older technology compared with the 20". I was wondering if anyone can tell me by how much? Is there a large difference between the two monitors?

Thanks!

Rich

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I haven't heard anything about the 23" being older technology but the 23" is the only one that is also HD as far as I know.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, if you have the money then purchase the 23". That is the Cinema display that I plan to purchase. It looks awesome and has the HD technology. As I have said previously, plan to be patient. :)

4. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The 23" inch is, indeed, older technology, and not as bright. I think response times are a bit slower as well. However, it is a great monitor. Fantastic. If the current promotion had been going on when I got mine, I'd've gotten the 23". Much better resolution. FWIW, I have the 20" and love it; I just wish it had a higher resolution. And, in the Apple Stores where you can see them side-by-side, the quality is very, very similar. I give an edge to the 20" i.t.o. sharpness and brightness, but it's marginal.

6. Kid Red macrumors 65816

OK, let's quell this 'not as bright' crap. Check with any 20" owner and they will tell you they have to turn down the brightness because it's 'too' bright.

As a graphic artist/web designer who also researched and compared in the store before I bought I can say the 23" is without a doubt the better deal. The 20" did look a tad crisper because of the brightness I will admit. But after looking at the size, the price and the HD factor, it was a no brainer.

Also, after I calibrated it with SuperCal, my brightness (on the not as bright 23") is actually set a notch or 2 from full. So, even tho it's not as bright as the 20", I have it calibrated correctly and the 23" is too bright at the full brightness setting when calibrated correctly.

Bottom line, forget any brightness argument about these two, the 23" is the best deal around.

7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

It just so happens I have a 20" Cinema sitting right in front of me w/ the brightness set to max... Hmmm... doesn't look so bright to me. It's just "normal". Maybe I've been staring at it for so long the brightness became dull.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This definitely happens, speaking as a wannabe psychologist. :) My eyes adapt to my iBook screen, and the only time I notice it isn't all that bright is when I go to my desktop's LCD.... Then I have to wear shades. :cool:

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Same here.

Note also that LCDs dim over time, so the "not as bright" argument is not crap [i.e., the 20" will likely have a longer useful lifetime), nor did anyone say the 23" is too dim - just not as bright. It is less bright, and that's a fact.

10. codycartoon macrumors regular

Is it just me or is the 23 too big?

I used it for a photography class and it is just giant, I use a Apple 15inch LCD studio at home, so I may be a little biased.

-cody

11. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I've noticed that in the Apple store, the 20" has much faster pixel response time, brighter/more vivid colors, and whiter whites (the white looked slightly yellowish on the 23" when compared directly with the 20").
    If you plan to do any type of gaming, the 20" is a far better choice, and thats the only LCD that I would personally consider purchasing.

Oh yeah, that "HD technology" stuff for the 23" is nothing more than marketing crap.

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm not sure if too big applies to LCDs :) If they knocked the huge bezel off, it would be soooooo nice.

13. Richocity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like I'm going with the 23". It, along with my G5, should be here in a few days. As a first time Mac owner, I hope I like it!

Rich

14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very confident that you will enjoy your new purchase. Congratulations Rich! ;) I look forward to you impression of your new G5 and Cinema Display.