Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsulens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
i am planning on buying a new monitor pretty soon. i am trying to figure out if i should go for the 20'' or the 23'' apple display. i cant figure out which one i should i get. i have enough money for either so that is not a big deal. i just dont know if the price is worth the 3 more inches. also, does the HD make a big differerce in viewing movies and applications?

Chaywa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
Athens, OH
What do you use your computer for? That should make a big difference. As far as watching DVDs, so far, having an HD monitor will get you nothing as DVDs are not HD. That will change a few years down the road though. But for now, the bigger your monitor, the more pages you can have laid out etc. For the non pro user(shake, Final Cut Pro, Pro tools), it's probably not worth it for the extra 3 inches. Hope that helps

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
I plan on buying a new apple display soon too. I am going to get a 20 inch. I do graphic design on the side and have been doing it on a 17 inch with very little problems. i cant see apples price justifying the size for the 23 inch. This is just my opinion you can do pro design easy on a 20 inch. I think it is a better deal.

furrina

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
I do some video editing with FCP and I have a pb 15, I just bought a 20" to be my second monitor. I am wondering the same thing. For professional use sometime I need to look at footage on a TV monitor, but for an LCD,I wasn't sure if the 23" would be that much better for an extra $600. Anyone edit video who can advise on whether the 23 is that much better?

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I have an (old) 20" Cinema, and I am very happy with it over the 23". It's plenty big for the regular prosumer, it's a very nice screen. Even for watching DVD's. If you don't need the extra three inches, go for the 20" and pick up something with the extra money.

For the last poster, I've done some movie editing (in fact, I'm doing some right now), using FCE. The 20" works fine for me, nice real estate. Although, you may want to look at the difference in an Apple Store if you can.
–Chase

jsulens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
i think i will probably end up getting the 20'' i think, but if i go to the store i know i am going to fall in love with the 23''. i think that over all the 20'' seems to be the best deal out of the two. thanks guys.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Why stop at 23" when you can just buy a pair of 30". I mean, if you had to ask, money's probably not even an issue. Besides, people around here always recommend buying the best you can afford, even if it means selling your wife and kids. j/k

I got the "old" 20" Cinema, good enough for my graphic design tasks.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
IMHO, the 23" is not worth the price increase. But it depends on what you do, and how crowded your screen gets... for some ppl 20" is just not enough space. There's no "right answer." It's about what you need, and how much the money means to you.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
QCassidy352 said:
IMHO, the 23" is not worth the price increase.
I disagree. Even if you look at the "old" 20 and 23 side by side, there is a dramatic difference in size and screen real-estate. The 23 is worth it in my opinion, especially if you said money is not so much of an issue. NOt to mention you'll future-proof your purchase with the HD tech. The 20" to me just looks like a streched 17", which is too short.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Bhennies said:
I disagree. Even if you look at the "old" 20 and 23 side by side, there is a dramatic difference in size and screen real-estate. The 23 is worth it in my opinion, especially if you said money is not so much of an issue. NOt to mention you'll future-proof your purchase with the HD tech. The 20" to me just looks like a streched 17", which is too short.

well, to each his own. Which is the better choice depends on your needs and budget.

But what do you mean by "future proof your purchase with the HD tech?" Future proof against what? :confused:

And I don't see what you mean about the 20" being "just a stretched 17"." How do you figure that? They are have different resolutions and aspect ratios...

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
QCassidy352 said:
And I don't see what you mean about the 20" being "just a stretched 17"."
If you see the 17" and 20" next to each other, they are pretty similar in height, the 20" is just wider. Too short in my opinion. The 23 has a more vertical posture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.