20" or 24" imac......

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cybergypsy, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I am using a macbook now and have to go back to a iMac due to a arm injury, I have used a 20" and now that the 24 is out , I am thinking about it, but still not sure or wait till Jan.....Money is not a issue at all,,,,,what is so much better about the 24"...thanks guys....

2. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

They are mostly the same, but there are several differences in specs between the two, with the 24" being better when there is a difference. And I just saw a 24" in the Apple store today, and my God...it is GLORIOUS! I have a 20" and I have serious screen envy.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo and I love it for me there was no reason to get a 24", but the differences are obviously the screen size (the 24" is also 40% brighter than the 20"), better video if you upgrade to the 7600 GT (the 7300 is about the same as the video in the 20"), and a FW800 port. Other than that the machines have the exact same specs.

So it comes down to do you need or want the larger screen size? Do you need the better video card? Do you need FW800? If you said yes to any of those 3 questions the 24" is worth buying.

4. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I really just need it for everyday on line stuff, however i did notice at a mac store that the 24" seemed sooooo much brighter then the 20" but i also have bad eyesight so thinking the 24" is worth it..... but should i wait till Jan???/

5. wchong macrumors 6502

it won't hurt you to wait 3 months.

better to wait than to be sorry if new upgrades and price cuts come along with the keynote

i am waiting for jan :D i am optimistic that new gfx cards are coming out for the imac 20" and then i'll buy it along with leopard

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you are going to wait until January why don't you wait a little longer until the Santa Rosa Meroms are released?

To the guy above - you're expecting Leopard in January?

7. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

The 24" iMacs are about as new as you can get. And your line of reasoning holds true in January too. Anyway, Leopard isn't supposed to ship till spring...that's a long time to wait if you need a new machine now.

8. wchong macrumors 6502

i thought it was goign to be released "early spring" and going by university calendar (i'm a graduate by the way) spring is from january until late april.

i do expect better upgrades when leopard is released. it's good marketing. so i would say, hold on to your cash until leopard is released.

it shouldn't take too long as developer releases are out.

9. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I just really hate the thought of siting at a desk again....seems the laptop has spoiled me, but i keep telling myself all i need is a 20" imac....but my eyes are drawn to the 24"... I could get a mac mini and hook it up to my 42 lcd....but did that and found it un comfie to read and work like that..

10. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

I doubt Apple goes according to university calendar semesters.

11. wchong macrumors 6502

:D

42 is almost twice as big as the 24..... however, i'm pretty sure you could get used to a 24" screen. however, if upgrades are possible on the 20" it would definitely be a better system to buy as you get more bang for ur buck.

say, 20" with x1900 (wishful thinking :D) and 24" with x1900 with a price difference of 300 bucks for 4 more inches... methinks 24" won't be worth it

do they go by the asian calendar? :D

12. Josephkyles macrumors regular

I got a 24 inch and I love it! It makes the 20 inch look tiny!

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I've yet to see the 24" iMac in person, but I just today got a 24" Dell monitor and it's absolutely AMAZING. The screen estate is ridiculous - it's much larger than I thought it would be. I've seen 20-inchers in person, and I have to agree with Josephkyles - they now seem tiny!

14. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I find it fascinating that universities don't know the seasons of the year.

In the Northern Hemisphere,

Summer=June-August
    Autumn/Fall=September-November
    Winter=December-February
    Spring=March-May

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If money's not an issue why wouldn't you go for the 24"? Bigger, brighter, faster graphics. What's not to like (except the $500 premium)?

16. wchong macrumors 6502

i can answer that... but i won't mention it... we're in america and it'd be politically incorrect to say it even though the first amendment protects me :D

17. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

It seems I'm the only one with a 17" baby. :(
    I really want a 42" ACD.

18. nodabs macrumors regular

Besides everything else mentioned... the 24" iMac is more asthetically pleasing because the the "chin" at the bottom of the computer is less pronounced. I just got mine and i love it, it's huge and beautiful!

19. wchong macrumors 6502

i really believe many don't want to buy a 17" b/c of the graphics card not being upgradable even to 256mb.

20. Lynxpoint macrumors regular

Lynxpoint

42?!?

yikes. I really like the 30" ACD but I have a hard time imagining working on something bigger (30" aready requires turning my head to look from one side of the screen to the other)

21. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

If you have money and willing to spend it, go for the 24''. After all, how much time do you spend on your computer every day? If you spend several hours a day, every day, then maybe it's worth it to spend an extra $500 to make those thousands of hours (over the computer's lifespan) more enjoyable.

That being said, if you're only moving up for the screen size, $500 is steep. But in the end, it's your call in determining how much you use your computer and if you're willing to put out extra money to make all that time pass by better.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'll have one tomorrow! :D Got a good price on a first gen intel 17"er. :)

23. wchong macrumors 6502

how much? is it the 2.16ghz 2 gb ram 128mb x1600 C2D?

24. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Guys is there a way to make the imac, have a glossy screen, I love my macbooks screen.....

25. kiriames macrumors newbie

Iv'e bought my 20" in august (Yes im replying very late for this) but i love it! Yeah, in the shop it might look small against the 24" but i would rather keep my eyes safe. And besides, I don't need a faster or more reliable computer than the one i have now. <3 it :D