Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I am facing a dilema. I don't want to spend more than $1500. The Imac's look like great machines but I still want the next revolution powerbook. Oh well, it will be to expensive for me anyway.

So the Rev. A Imac's 20" is only $1370, and the Rev B Imac is only $1399 with a student discount.

If I bought the 20" I would have to add some RAM for $50 and buy the wireless card for $79. That is around $1499. Not bad.

The new Rev B 17" has all that and more.

Hardrive space is not crucial to me, because with a superdrive you can effeciently store data for cheap. Wireless is a must for me. Do I need the extra VRAM? That is really what I wonder. How much will it help?

I will be using iMovie, hopefully Final Cut Express, Pro Tools, Macromedia Studio Mx and Photoshop if I can afford it (will just use fireworks until then). Movie making is just a hobby for now, but I am eager to learn Final Cut Express because I am used to Premiere. Any suggestions for my first Mac?

tykles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
Rev B 17"

Definitely.
Assuming you aren't absolutely smitten with a 20" over the 17" display. The revB has much nicer guts that will last you longer and perform better.
Think about it: the revA iMac has pretty much the bare minimum to run all of the graphics effects with Tiger. As software developers catch up, you will rapidly get left in the dust.
I'm pretty sure you can use the mini-VGA out to mirror to a second display if some day you absolutely need a bigger screen- and the 24" Dell's are already pretty cheap.
Have fun with it whatever you get.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
go for the new revisions, they are so much better all around in graphics, hd space, comes with APE and BT i say its the better buy rather than having a bigger screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.