20" vs 23" for DTP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Mar 16, 2007.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Im a graphic designer working with CS2 suite and QuarkXpress and im about to get a 20" wide TFT monitor but i was told that its mutch better to get a 23" wide TFT monitor to work my DTP apps there. At this point theres no money limiting my 23" purchase so money isnt an issue. Can someone tell me if this is true and why!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The 23" is bigger. It is as simple as that. Is it necessary? The desktop publishing revolution was started using Macs with 9" monitors. So the 23" monitor is certainly not necessary. A 20" monitor is ample, but a 23" monitor is bigger. Size matters--as my girlfriend will attest.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok thanx for contributing, but on one hand side u say 23" monitor is certainly not necessary on the other hand u say that size matters. Id like to know in what way is the one better than the other or so!

4. phidauex macrumors member

Bigger monitor + more resolution = more space to work. Publishing apps have tons of those little toolbar windows, and you need somewhere to put them. More screen real estate would help a lot. No one can tell you if it is "necessary" or not, since its not black and white like that. The more space you have to work, the more you will like it. 23" is not excessive.

Just make sure that it actually has a higher resolution than a comparable 20". I know some companies sell 20 and 22" monitors with the same resolution, which doesn't help at all, since you have the same number of pixels (they are just bigger). A 22" widescreen LCD should be at least WSXGA+ (1680x1050) to be worthwhile, and a 24" at WUXGA+ (1900x1200) would be wonderful.

Just get the nicest monitor you can reasonably afford. If you really are doing lots of desktop publishing, you'll be staring at the monitor more than any other part of the computer, and it makes sense to get a nice one.

peace,
    sam

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Im in between a 20" wide LG TFT display and ACD23" or Dell23", but i haveno idea why the guy that confused me told me i dont need for DTP a 23" wide but i should get instead the 20" LG monitor!
    he said also that they rase same/similar resolutions so itsnot worth the money to get a 23"!

6. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

23 for sure

Get a 23 for sure.

I do this work everyday and can tell you that with a 23 you will have room for a full 11x17 spread, or webpage, with you TOOL PALLETS off to the side.

With a 20, your tools will get covered up -- this is a big time waste with Quark and Creative Suite.

If your Mac is newer you could use a 20 with a SECOND basic monitor (an old CRT) as a second monitor for your tools --- that is what I do.

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

With DTP size does matter, and offcourse what you like best. Some people find the 23" too big, therefore they would go with the 20". If you want one monitor, I would say go with the 23". It's a bit wider then a 20", so you can put all your toolbars next to the pages you are working at. Another thing that you could do is get two 20" monitors. One for the pages you are working at, the other for all your toolbars, other apps, etc.

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Buy the Dell 24".

Better value for money plus lots of inputs and a much better swivel stand.

9. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

The Dell 2407WFP is also on sale right now for $629 USD... I went ahead & ordered one even though I was hell-bent on getting the BenQ FP241W. I figure if the Dell sucks, I can always return it w/in the first 30 days (I believe) & get the BenQ instead. $629 w/ free shipping is too good of a deal to pass up...

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

If you ever do any portrait DTP work the swivel stand is amazing.

Pain to move with lots of cables plugged in though.

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

12. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Apple Beats Dell for Color

The Apple Display beats the Dell hands down for Graphic Design Color.

Don't have time to recreate this thread here but in this "Peripherals" forum search out the thread "Why buy an ACD?" for the details.

Dante

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have an aluminum-framed 23" ACD at work and a plastic-framed 23" ACD at home. This should make my preferences clear. However, they are my preferences. Each monitor is part of a system that included a 17" Apple CRT display. I was quite productive with the 17" displays. As much as I love my 23" monitors, it would be silly to claim I need them. Still, the only way you will take them from me is to pry them from my cold dead arms.

14. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

theres a plastic frame ACD 23"?
    when did this one come out?
    what job are u doing on them?

15. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The plastic 23" wasn't that a 22"?!?!

Furthermore the dell 24" doesn't have a S-IPS display, which you really need for DTP, because it uses a cheaper kind of display the price is also cheaper...

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The 23" replaced the 22". The plastic-framed models were replaced by the aluminum-framed models. For a complete history of Apple-produced Mac hardware, download the free MacTracker.

17. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Good Recommendation

Very good recommendation.

Be sure to get the top end Spyder as it is important to be able to build "portable" ICC profiles so you can share them with design clients.

Also, try to contact Dell to get the S-IPS panel as the colors in this panel are better suited to graphic design whereas PVA panels tend to be better for video, gaming, etc.

Here is my post regarding monitor calibration from a similar thread:

I would suggest this: If you are a graphic artist, to whom a colorsync color matching system is important, then the ACD provides a complete out-of-the-box solution that integrates with ICC profiles from scanners, operating systems, desktop and wide format printers, Offset and Web Presses, other monitors and cameras.

However, one can do quite well by buying a more-affordable non-apple monitor with a calibrator -- this former solution can actually be more useful to this said designer. However, it is important to:

1) Buy a calibrator with software that can generate "portable" ICC profiles -- this is important so that one can "Share" the profiles with clients as they send files with this profile embedded.

2) Learn how to use the above software.

3) Buy a monitor with an S-IPS panel as the color tables are more stable and suited to desktop publishing as opposed to video or games.

If one does not wish to have the trouble of the above, or to spend the money on the calibrator (often offset by lower monitor cost however), then the ACD's are a great choice for DTP work.

My 2 cents,

Dante