20" vs. 23"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cuckoo, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

It's splitting up my mind. I've got about the cash for a 20". And ofcorse, now, i start having doubts, should i wait a couple of months, and get the cash for a 23"

Now my question is.... What do you think? And all you 20" and 23" owners, what do you think about your inches? got the 20 and want the 23? Got the 23" and want the 20"?

Any thoughts? Oh, and it has got to be only one display, used to have two, and i always lost programs...

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I got the 20" and want the 30" :D (really) :D

What are you going to use it for? If you really need a large display, then I say get most you can afford. Although I've heard about that pink tint on the 23" that kinda would bother me. But that aside, I wouldn't mind having a 23". But if you just do basic stuff, then there's really no need for it (other than bragging rights ;)).

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

4. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, that looks awesome. I wish we had an 'apple certified' program over here. We don't even have a refub store. Just plain new stuff or buy used from individuals....
    if we had that over here, then i'd buy a 23" without breathing twice...

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

6. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

i do te usual internet stuff and watch movies and tv shows on my mac. Apart from that, nothing special... i NEED it for nothing special, it's just for fun ....

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It say's the original price for the 23" was $3499? Is that the U.S. store?

You don't live in the U.S.?

8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I am going through the same situation. I will probably go for the 20". When I put them next to each other at the Apple Store the big test was a word document. You only get about an extra inch in height of the word document. It is strange how much work done on computers is in portrate but all the monitors are landscape...

9. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what i am a bit afraid of, that the 3" won't buy much effective space. Most programs (mail, safari, word) are all potrait orented. While a 23" is mostly a landscape orented enhancement over the 20"...

Any 23 inchers (that sure sounds different from what i mean) but still, any 23 inch display owners have the same regret?

10. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I hope there aint many 23 inch owners on here ;)

11. gabriel_uk macrumors regular

Before you decide on a display, why not read some owner reviews of the 23" ACD at CNET - http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_Cinema_Display_23_inch_LCD/4505-3174_7-30964608.html?tag=pdtl-list

12. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

well, reading the user reviews, i believe it's going to be a 20 inch....

thanks, usefull link...

13. gabriel_uk macrumors regular

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

For the Price of a 20" ACD, you can almost get a 24" dell monitor, which has more inputs and none of the quality issues that the Apple 23" has been prone to.

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Most programs? My Mail window has more width that height, as is iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand, FCP, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, iDVD (with Customize On), Toast etc etc. So why say *MOST* programs?

No, 23 incher is not MORE landscape-orientated over 20incher, because they are both 16:10 monitors

16. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry,

I should have said "Most programs I use frequently"

It's not a scientific thing, it's a personal thing.... That's the thing why i'm concidering apple. When rational arguments count, then an apple display would not be a rational choice. As someone here pointed out, technically the Dell 24" is better in any technical aspect (except for the dot pitch). So more or less, for me, it's an personal descision.

Mostly between my need for toys (buy a 20" now) and my liking for cool toys, wait a couple of months and have a great looking display (buy a 23" later).

So i'm trying to make an informed personal descision.

But thanks for your input, never thought about iphoto, which uses more horizontal space than vertical....

17. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I dont know what Mac you have, but have you concidered getting two 20 inch monitors. I think they are about half the price of the 23 inch monitor so you can run two for the price of one 23. Having two monitors also makes it easy to arrange work is necessary.

18. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got an old G4, so no two monitors. Although a second PCI video card is no problem, i'd rather not, i've had two monitors in the past, i lose all my windows, cause i tend to forget where i left them, although it looks really really neat...

19. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

True! I have a G4 and I have two DVI connectors on my graphics card. I wonder if OSX will ever have that thing they have on Linux with the virtual desktops that can be swapped, I suppose they dont need it now with Expose.

20. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Oh, now I get it. Sorry for being rude ;)

21. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

No problem... hahahahahahaha

i'll live with it....

Although why is the 20 inch not reffered to as HD and the 23 inch is i don't get. Both have the same aspect ratio....

But that's a whole different story

22. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Apple speak to get more people to buy the 23" ;)

23. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Not exactly; 1920x1080 is 1080p, and only the 23" on up have that resolution. The 20" has to downsample to display HD content.

Also, in re Certified prices, Apple lists as the original price the price the product debuted at. The current prices make certified monitors a so-so proposition; by and large its $100 off, perhaps $200 for the 30".

I still recommend apple lcds over dell. For one, due to the analogue circuitry the Dell runs much hotter. As a corollary it has fans (the apple is sealed, "air-tight") and that means dust vents in and settles inside. I've had nothing but bad experiences with Dell's laptops, and specifically with problems with the LCD panels therein.

Also, the Apple ACDs and the Dell LCDs are not identical; they use the same LCD panel supplier but the input circuitry, the controller cards and the backlights are from different sources. This means everything from the refresh rate to the brightness of the monitors can be, and probably are, different.

-RS

24. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

My advice would be to go with the biggest you can afford. I just walked into the new Apple Store in Jax, Fl and the 30 inch is a sight to behold. It really makes the 20 inch look like a 12 inch when it is next to it.

25. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I just went to an apple reseller <and behold, a new keyboard and mouse, the black ones were getting -diiiiiirty->

But that kinda tiped the scale into the direction of the 23"... it looks sooo cool, and dwarfs the 20"

Now i've got to be a bit more patient....

that's for helping me out.....