$200 for 1.3Ghz G4 upgrade a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by livingfortoday, Aug 29, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Ok, so I have a chance to buy a 1.3Ghz upgrade card for my Cube for only $200. It's based on the G4 7457 processor with 2MB of L3 cache and 512KB of L2 cache, which I hear run faster than the equivalent (in clockspeed) 7447 processors. So.

My question is, is this a good deal? Should I go for it? I won't be able to afford anything like a Mini anytime soon, and I don't plan on ever ditching the Cube, but maybe there will be new G4 variations out soon that will push these prices lower? Or will they stay about the same?
  2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    Is this with installation/can you install it yourself? If so it's a good deal I guess. At least I'd buy it for my cube if I had the chance :D
  3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    It depends do you find your cube slow? Would it benefit your computer experience? If so well yes, seeing it beats buying a mini imo. :)
  4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

Oct 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    It sounds like a great deal.
    Who is making the upgrade card?
    A good place to compare prices is Other World Computing
    Good luck!
  5. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    That's a great deal. I just paid the same amount for a 1GHz upgrade for my G3.
  6. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2004
    A couple of questions. Is this a used or new CPU? If used why is party selling? If new what type of RMI service do they have? Which manufacturer Powerlogix or Sonnet? Powerlogix has the VRM bypass which will help if you want to put a bigger video card in, like a 9800 or one requiring power.

I purchased a 1.2GHz 7455 a while back and works great. A few friends bought the 1.2 GHz 7457s and had nothing but trouble. One having waited over 6 months to receive another bad one. I think the 57s are more problematic than the 47s, which run cooler but have no L3 cache.

Another good place for info is CubeOwner this has just about everything you need to know or questions that need answered. Just check the FAQ before posting as I'm sure the question has been asked before.

I would purchase through OWC since they have a very good RMI and warranty services.

But as to your question if it's a good deal, the price point is good but getting a good one is the real question.
  7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    It's true, the 7457 G4s have been problematic, but not usually at the lower clock speeds. Above 1.3 Ghz I'd watch out. For $200.00, I'd bite for sure since these boards are going for around $350.00 new. I'd just want a guarantee that the board isn't DOA, and came with the base fan, install video and other install instructions.
  8. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Ok guys, I've decided to get it, thanks for all your inputs! The specific product is this upgrade:

But I already have a fan in my Cube, so I feel ok about putting in the "fanless" upgrade.

Thanks again!