200 gb Hard Drive won't format to more than 128 gb

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by davebenton, Mar 17, 2004.

1. davebenton macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2004
    I installed a 200 gig Seagate in my G4. It is only recognized with 128 gig of space. I can't partition it to more than 128 total. This is the 5th drive. I'm using a PCI ATA card. I've tried it with the PCI card, and also from the motherboard. Same result. I initialized the disk. Any ideas?
  2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
  3. szark macrumors 68030

May 14, 2002
    Your PCI card needs to be capable of 48-bit addressing, mainly found on ATA-133 or newer ATA-100 cards. Otherwise it can only access 128 GB.

The motherboard connections are the same -- only the ATA-100 connections on a MDD G4 will be able to see the full drive.
  4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    This topic has come up many, many times.
    I must say that documentation on this issue is not easily available. You have to search the internet for info. I haven't ever heard of a retailer mentioning the fact that < ATA 100 will not recognize more than 128 GB of your just purchased 250 GB ATA drive...
    I wish the manufacturers of these drives mention the ATA 100 requirement.

I'm sure a lot of people have the same problems but don't have the opportunity to ask friends, and blame it on their Mac or PC.

Maybe time for a sticky or so?
  5. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    Actually most drives over 120GB come with that warning in the included manuals or include a a PCI ATA-100 card with the package. Not sure if you get a barebones or OEM drive if you get any of that.
  6. JohanVild macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2004
    Try updating the firmware

I had the same problem on a Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 card - updating the cards' firmware should help.
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's time for a sticky thread on a lot of little subjects but you have to get people to read them. People would rather post first, ask later. :D

ATA/133 addresses the issue and optionally, ATA/100 may address it but it all depends on the interface (card) manufacturer. Most drive boxes I've seen mention that you may need additional hardware to reach the drive's full potential.
  8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    this is why you research the limits of your system before you buy ANYTHING for it....