Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Just wanted to ask everyone here if this would be a good computer for her to start with. She's pretty new to the world of computers, including macs. I think she would like to use it for internet (playing videos), photos, and music.

The specs would be:
g4 800ghz
640mb memory
60gb hard drive
airport extreme
dvd and cdrw combo drive.
Screen is absolutely perfect, casing and cosmetics are good, battery 3+ hours.
$200.

What do you think?

Thanks!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Sounds like a good deal to me. It will be perfectly capable for what you are wanting. The only problem you might have that I can see is the memory (limited to 640k). As long as you don't expect video editing and such your mom should be fine.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I didn't know there was such a thing as an 800 GHz G4. Wow... ;)

In all seriousness, yeah, great deal.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I always appreciate the advice/reassurances from fellow macrumors members. Thank you!

I think the speed is what makes me nervous. Would a faster machine be necessarily better for those tasks?

We have ilife 08, any idea if that would run okay on this machine - to share photos and music, etc.?

Thanks!

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I dont think an ibook would make the best first impression for computers, its more like an EEE PC, a gadget by todays standards.

Its a computer, there is no such thing as a "beginners computer" since they arent things people try to see if they like them, if its her only computer then she should get a decent one that will last awhile and provide a nice experience.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
iLife would run like a three legged greyhound. you are at the very minimum specs to run iLife 08 and iMovie will not even work. It does seem a bargain but useful only for very basic stuff. Even many web sites with flash or H264 will not work.
Sorry but time moves on and our once great computers become old and long in the tooth.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I have one of these. I've just recently started using it again and it's not too bad. Web is fine, email's good, photoshop ok. I mean, in many of these things I don't have a universal version so say, office 2004 is faster on it than my c2d mini. It's a good mac, only issues - when will it break? Is the screen too small?

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Keep the posts coming, and thanks!

ilife has imovie, but I don't think my mom will be using that right now. I just started using that myself :)

The main parts of ilife that would be used are iphoto and itunes.

The other concern is if she would be limited as to websites. Would sites like youtube be a problem? What sites would she have problems with?

I would love to get her something better, but the truth is I have no idea how much use she will be putting into the computer since she is so new to everything. I think to spend a nice chunk of money now may be extravagant. If she really enjoys using it, we can always move up. At the same time, i don't want to get something that would be useless now.

Thanks!

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Hi,

Just wanted to ask everyone here if this would be a good computer for her to start with. She's pretty new to the world of computers, including macs. I think she would like to use it for internet (playing videos), photos, and music.

The specs would be:
g4 800ghz
640mb memory
60gb hard drive
airport extreme
dvd and cdrw combo drive.
Screen is absolutely perfect, casing and cosmetics are good, battery 3+ hours.
$200.

What do you think?

Thanks!

remember, 1024x786 max res. too. Its a good price, but I personally wouldnt get anything less than 1 Ghz

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Hi,

Keep the posts coming, and thanks!

ilife has imovie, but I don't think my mom will be using that right now. I just started using that myself :)

The main parts of ilife that would be used are iphoto and itunes.

The other concern is if she would be limited as to websites. Would sites like youtube be a problem? What sites would she have problems with?

I would love to get her something better, but the truth is I have no idea how much use she will be putting into the computer since she is so new to everything. I think to spend a nice chunk of money now may be extravagant. If she really enjoys using it, we can always move up. At the same time, i don't want to get something that would be useless now.

Thanks!

If your mom decides she needs more computer, upgrade. I highly doubt that at $200, you're going to lose money on the iBook if you decide to sell. You could post it on the MacForum and/or Craigslist and easily make your money back -- possibly more. I don't think there is a big risk. Just an FYI for comparison, I sold an iBook G3 Clamshell 466 MHZ on Craigslist back in December for $400.

gonyr

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Niagara County, NY
I think for the uses you've described, this machine would be perfect. I use a 1 ghz ibook with tiger all the time, with 768 mb RAM. Everybody is all into having the latest and greatest thing, but most people don't really need a computer as powerful as they have.

The price sounds pretty good, too. I got mine for $180 about 8 months ago. I have a faster processor, but a smaller hd and had less memory at the time I bought it.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Wow....so a 'hardcore' Linux distro would be great for someone who doesn't know how to open FireFox?

Yes because that is exactly what I suggested :rolleyes:

Where the hell did you get linux from?

I dont understand the logic for this. Its not a musical instrument, its a computer. She isnt going to say "blah computers are not for me!" They are almost a necessity in todays world. If you buy an outdated computer for anything other than a toy or companion to your main computer then you will have to upgrade sooner rather than later, which is wasted money when you could have just bought a good computer first.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Yes because that is exactly what I suggested :rolleyes:

Where the hell did you get linux from?

Way to take my comment out of context.

You said, there is no such thing as a beginners computer, which would mean any OS would be good for anyone, because as you said, there is no such as a beginner's computer, so hardcore Linux here we come!

Perhaps a barebone PC, and she should put it together, and install Linux on it?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Way to take my comment out of context.
ditto

Just because linux is hard to use doesnt mean everything else is for beginners, or that there is some kind of special computer designed for beginners. Theyre regular computers that all do the same thing, a $3000 mac pro isnt anymore difficult to use than a $200 ibook.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
I'm still using my G4 iBook (700 mhz) as my regular laptop. It is a little long in the tooth (I'm looking forward to upgrading), but still works fine with MS Office, iTunes, iPhoto, browsing and movies. I've kept it at OS 10.3, though, just to save on space and power. I'll probably be upgrading it to 10.4 this week to help it match some of the software I'm using on my alum iMac. If you don't see the need to upgrade to Leopard, I'd say you're getting a sweet computer for your mum. I would guess she'll love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.