$200 in FREE Apple Gear! Advice Requested.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by michaelrjohnson, Jul 14, 2005.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Greetings MR, I need your help!

I have a $200 credit with Apple due to an AppleCare blunder on their part and I don't know how to spend it! They will ship me anything Apple branded (Hardware or Software) up to $200 free-of-charge.

Restrictions:
    • No 3rd Party Products
    • No iTunes Gift Certificates
    • No Apple Store Gift Certificates
    • No AppleCare

Should I wait? Should I get something worth the max. and sell it? I appreciate the help!

2. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Would I be right in thinking there's no time limit on your credit? Otherwise, it might not be worthwhile waiting for Apple to get around to releasing something new... ;)

Maybe you could treat yourself to a nice new iPod Mini? Your $200 would just cover that nicely.

4. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Get a ipod mini, or wait for somthing you really want... or you could donate it to help a brother out foundation and give it to me ;) ( I had to ask )

5. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

I did ask about the duration. She said it didn't have any limitation. {crosses fingers} I've had the credit for 2 months already... so I'm just biding my time.

6. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

chip in some cash and get a new 20GB ipod color, i tried one today at work, and they are damn nice :D

7. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

It's a valid question, I'd have asked the same thing. ;)

But no, I don't plan to give it away. :p

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

sell it for less like 180 or something.... your losing money but your getting cash....

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Two thoughts:

1. If you didn't have this credit, what would your next Apple purchase be? Why not buy THAT and take $200 off the price?

2. Do you already have an iPod? If so, which model and what gear do you already have for it? Perhaps an iPod or more gear for one is in order.

10. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

oh yea i didnt think about that sell it.. and buy something non computer related.. i know its crazy :D

11. wide macrumors 6502a

12. djkny macrumors 6502

use the $$ towards a 20" Apple LCD -- Edu price minus $200 = $499.
    unbeatable. you won't regret it.

13. Switzermac macrumors regular

14. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I just purchased a (used) 15in PB. It's decked out, so I'm not sure when my next computer purchase would be.

And yeah, I do have a 4G iPod. Got that with Cram & Jam last summer. So that's still suiting my needs.

15. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

WHAT?!?! That's crazy talk. Who let you in here?! :D

16. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I just upgraded from a 12in PB to a 15in PB. I'm really happy with the screen so far. I was looking into getting a nicer external for the 12in, but I don't know about needing it with this beautiful 15in screen.

I think I need to call back about using it toward the purchase of another item.

17. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, sorry for the last additional post.

I had thought about getting an iSight, but I dont' know how much I would use it. I ran a few searches on alternate things I can do with an iSight (other than iChat), but came up with very little. Does anyone here own an iSight that would reccomend for or against it? (MRoogle searches come up with very little)

18. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

don't get an isight, it will likely be updated within the next year. I would get a 20" display or a whole bunch of ipod socks ;)

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I use iChat with my iSight now and then. I bought Toysight (the day it was first released!) but wasn't impressed with it. I also bought EvoCam and found it was fun to play with (for setting up a webcam and even a security camera), but alone it wouldn't be enough reason to get an iSight.

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Not a bad idea actually. Buy a whole bunch of something and sell them on ebay. Start a little store or something.

21. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I must say that I'm disappointed of the feedback about iSight. I know that it's bound to be updated soon, and I know that I have no real use for it... but it could have been cool.

Thanks for keeping me sane.

So is the best advice to make sure that I can keep this credit for awhile? At what point do you think I should just use it? Paris expo? MWSF 06? WWDC 06?! :eek:

22. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

iSights are great when you know several people who have them. Five of my family members have webcams (4 iSights) and my girlfriend has an iSight too. I live about an hour from her, so the nights we don't physically see each other, the iSight it great to get to talk to one another.

23. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

get a totebag, or headphones or wireless keyboard, or buy a mac mini (+300 dollarS), or a superdrive (lacie external burner), wireless mouse?,

24. lordmac macrumors regular

Hey, just to make the decision harder (lol sry). I have and isight and i love it and use it all the time. I pretty much use it for what its intended webcaming with people on aim/ichat, which really is pretty sweet. Ah yes so many hours spent web caming with my girlfriend. But of course im pretty luck in that i have more friend with web cams then probably most. Its also just very nice to have a camera right at your desk in which you can use to take a quick snap shot of something or other to send over aim or something. :)

25. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Gee. Thanks. :mad:

:D

The reason that I'm not sure I'd use it for chatting is 1) I use Adium, 2) I don't know anyone else with a camera. After much initial excitement, I think it's not for me.

It drives me nuts that I can't find a use for this credit!