2003 F1 season....

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Mar 6, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Only a few hours to go before the start of first qualifying for the new F1 season in Melbourne Oz..... :D

Now that my MR F1 buddy Ensign doesn't hang here that often (if at all) :( I don't have anyone to play with when it comes to F1........

So does anyone want to be my new MR F1 buddy and come out to play??? :( ;) :D

2. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I can't believe there's no other F1 fans on MR...... :(

Anyway I stayed up to watch first qualifying and found it quite cool..... it's alot closer than one would normally expect for a Friday practice.... can't wait for real qualifying tonight (well tomorrow morning, but who's counting)

For the record I don't think they'll be a Ferrari on pole, I reckon it'll be either a BAR or MacLaren, but I think Shumacher Snr will win the race.....

It's certainly going to be interesting trying to work out the different strategies during qualifying.....

All these 2,3,4 am things, I'm going to be so deprived of sleep come Sunday afternoon..... :p

So know one watches F1 on here???:confused:

3. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

I love Formula One. I was just a little 'put-off' by your initial post. ;)

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I like Nascar 2002. Hope you have a good wheel to go with f1. Logitechs momo is terrific.

5. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah i love F1, i haven't been able to get it here for three years though so i'm well outof touch, i got digital cable now so amlooking forward to the aussie gp this weekend.

maybe you can fill me in on the teams/engines etc? or tell me what happened in brief over the last 3 yrs...... :rolleyes: sad eh?

6. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

yer lucky mate, when the footy world cup was on, all the games here were 2.30 or 4.30 in the morning. which ain't bad 'cause the pubs are open 'til 4am, but you tended to get a bit bladdered whle waiting :rolleyes:

7. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I love formula 1
    Im JUst quite upset that Jacques Villeneuves wont just leaave BAR already i mean that team sucks major A**.
    This guy the former world champion is with one of the crappiest teams in the league... its pretty sad when a first year team (TOYOTA) nearly or did <cant remember> beat point wise:mad:

aethier

8. justin182 macrumors newbie

I'm a big F1 fan too. I don't like the new qualifying system too much though. I like to watch everyone on track at the same time and strategizing when to go out on Saturday. Oh well. The rule about the fuel in the car at the start is a bit strange too. I think Bernie is confusing the sport way too much.

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Well I got it wrong.... Shumi's on pole!! Wicked!!

Pretty amazing to see that last years F2002 is still way ahead of the competition, even though it's hard to draw specific performance conclusions because of differing fuel loads, it looks like Ferrari still has a major performance advantage, not that it bothers me, being a Ferrari and Schumacher fan!!

Now just another 2am again.... meaning that come 5am Sunday morning, I'll have had in total about 5 hours sleep since Wednesday..... :rolleyes: :D

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Shumi rockz! :D Can't wait for the race tomorrow. Maybe now with the rule changes people will see that it's not just the car that makes Shumi win, it is his great driving ability.

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yeah, the great ability to drive straight into the side of any other driver with the remotest chance of beating him:D :D :D

The man is certainly a phenomenon, but he has absolutely no scruples;)

12. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

:p talk about bringing back memories, and yeah i never really liked the guy, much the same as Man Utd really, can't stand them, love to hate them but just can't deny that they can turn on the magic now and again (but then again, form is temporary, class is permanent :D )... another big memory i have of F1 again involves the red 5 of mansell, when him and the late great senna were flying down a straight and they're literally neck and neck with about an inch betweenn there tyres...one of sports all time great shots.

13. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

What i find not fair about someone who is shumi's partner is that barrichello could be first the whole race with shumi behind. then at the last bend Barrichello will get an order to slow down and let shumacher pass.

aethier

14. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Couldn't agree more, I laughed for ten minutes after the second goal against Bayern for the Euro cup, talk about jam:D

Still, we seem to have the beating of them at the moment don't we?;)

Ayrton Senna, now there was a genius in race car, I would love to have seen him go head to head with Schumacher, Senna drove without many of the tech aids and was still monstrous.

I lived in the same road as Calvin Burt when he was about 5, used to tell everyone he was going to be a race driver when he grew up. I used to follow him in Touring Cars, isn't he testing for some F1 team now, I know he was in the US for a while (NASCAR?) I'd love to see him in F1, that'd be a blast :D :D

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Whats done is done, it's in the past and the rules have now been made so this kind of thing can't happen again...get over it already!

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

But remember Schumacher has done that to aid team mates before.... remember Irvine in 99 at Sepang!

Also Schumacher last season more than repaid Rubens for his support... Hungary for instance......

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Schumacher in his prime (at the moment) versus Senna in his... (1991) both in the same car, over the course of a season..... personally IMHO Schumacher would have had the edge, although there really isn't much between the 2....,

Watching Schumi at Hungary in 98 when Ross Brawn told him he had to pull out a 20+ lead in 19 or so laps, and he just turned it on, every lap setting a new fastest lap, truely on very edge, he pulled out the time needed, took an extra pitstop than everyone else and still won.... same at Suzuka in 2000 he followed Mika from the start, it started to rain Mika went into the pits Schumi nailed it....... race over!

It was such a shame that Senna was killed, 94 would have been a cracking season, but at the time Schumacher was truely kicking his ar*e for the first 2 races, and you could really tell that Senna was under pressure!!

I can't wait for the banning of driver aids from Silverstone..... that's gonna be so cool..... launch control for instance...... where's the fun in that??? :rolleyes: :p

As for Mansell.... well he had his moments didn't he...... his pass on Gerhard Berger at the Mexico GP in 1990 around the outside of the parabolica was his greatest ever overtaking move, (even better than the one on Senna at Barcelona 91, and Piquet at Silverstone in 87) and it was only for second place too.... that was definitely one of the greatest GP's ever.....

Anyway's.... Schumi for the win tomorrow..... ;)

18. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

damn, all these old names, nelson piquet etc. i started watching F1 when the black john player specials cars were around. (i was born in '76).

well, only 4 and a half hours to go, and i've still gotta install a new front door, argh!!!!!

and yeah, where's the fun in "launch control"? :rolleyes: bit of tail-out sideways action is always fun, especially on the start line. (or at the lights with some jackass beside ya :p )

having not seen f1 in 3 or 4 years, it's interesting to see all the new teams. when i last saw a race there was still benetton and goodyear involved! the williams was looking like getting worse as the seasons went on, maclaren were on the brink of coming back, and i think berger was still racing....hmmm. have to admit the williams bmw looks beautiful. i'd like to see toyota do well, i had an old corolla hatchback, 1.3, 3dr, 5spd. so many people asked me what i'd done to the engine, absolutely nothing (i like to think just blindin' driving ;) ) even got up to 101mph IN 3rd GEAR!!! with four friends in the car. I miss that thing. but i digress! schumi is obviously favourite, but ya never know, i'm not gonna make a prediction as i haven't been able to watch it for years, i know, what a cop out eh???

ahh i'm so excited!!!! hahaha

ooh, good 2-0 for the 'pool!

19. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

benneton is still in formula 1.. they have the new renault engines

aethier

20. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

well they kinda are... in 2000 they changed there name to Renault when they got the new motors... i don't know if Renault bought the team or just pays to have it named that.

aethier

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I really started getting interested when the 6 wheel tyrell came out, terrible car, but it looked awesome, I did have a JPS Corgi model for a while, might even be in the loft.

Mansell did have his moments didn't he? loosing that rear tyre was as memorable as anything, although I do remember him whimpering as he stuffed the touring car he was driving into a tyre-wall...:p Mind, he was unconcious for a while there.

I don't think much bar mechanical unreliablility will stop Schu this year (yeah, fat chance) launch control or no launch control.

I'd love to see some serious driving on the edge this season, F1 has gotten just a little too safe for my neanderthal tastes these last few seasons. Still, we'll find out soon enough won't we.

El Hadj!!! get in there my son...:D Nice to see Owen back in form in time to stick three past whichever hapless goalie we face in the UEFA cup final.

22. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

aethier, ah hah! thanks for that, i did see renault but it looked as though it was renault car and engine...

wintermute...i forgot nigel went to btcc. i just remembered when he got that bruise on his forhead and murray says to him "does it hurt" as he pokes it with his finger. yeah, nice one murray :rolleyes: :p oh, my favourite quote of the awesome mr walker "and for the first time in 42 laps! they're on lap 42!!" classic. :D

yep, certainly good to see owen getting a goal a game again. (hmm, try saying that fast)

23. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

What a race..... although Schumi didn't win.... and his ferrari was falling to pieces over the last 12 laps... truely bizarre.....

Ferrari got the strat so wrong it was almost funny..... I can't believe DC won.... I can't stand the guy, he plods around all day and wins..... although Montoya made me pi$$ myself, spinning it like that with traction control..... I just think the guy is so overated.... Kimi had a good race though..... I quite like his style, I reckon we'll be seeing a lot of Schumi Vs. Kimi this year!!

Either way it means that the next couple of races are going to be must watch events!!!

Wicked!!

24. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

i fell asleep half way through :(

still, it's repeated 9 o'clock tonight. pretty exciting i thought, even if there were no collisions at turn one :p

got the turkish rally highlights to look forward to on telly this evening too. :p hmmm......rallies, i remember when i popped down the road to woburn for the rac rally. there were classic porsches going round first, and three in a row went plop into a kind of stream/canal thing, none were wrecked thank goodness, but it was almost comical seeing them light up the brakes and seem to stop in time only to see them topple out of site. they rolled one of those big bales of hay onto the corner to stop anyone else falling to the same fate.