2003 G4 iMac ppc trouble at mill..."

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 40ish&confused, Jan 28, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2011

Have been having problems with the old ppc, it has recently taken to slowing down and misbehaving. Came to a head yesterday when it told me to switch off and on again which I did. When restarted the screen offered the explanation that the OSX had crashed and did I wish to report so I did. Since three other occasions have forced me to restart and now the restart has kept the screen black but the fans are working.

The problems leading to this have centred on the mouse, a logitech wireless... the curser kept freezing and needed to be reset again each time the mac was awoken from sleep.

have replaced the logitech with a pc branded mouse but the screen is the same and am running out of ideas...

am reluctant to give up the imac as it is the best designed and most practical desktop I can imagine using...
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2011
    imac frozen out

those who have some knowledge of what is going on may be able to help, just to add to the willful mac it has now delivering three dull tones after a restart though still the screen is not appearing and the boot does not begin.

Is it worth fixing or throwing away with the dread of never having backed up the hard-drive.

any ideas at all welcome...
  3. macrumors 601

Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    The hard drive is perfectly fine, so you don't have anything to worry about there. Even if you do get a new computer (which I suggest, you would be amazed at how much faster it is), you can just pull the hard drive from that one, get an enclosure and get the data off of it.

I believe that the three tones means that there is something wrong with the RAM, so if you really don't want to replace your computer, you can more than likely replace the installed ram chip and that should fix your problem.