2003 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by Warren, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Warren macrumors member

The about.com messageboards are a trainwreck so I though i'd start some draft talk here. We are less the 2 weeks aways and the top tem picks are very much undecided. Lots of trades posssibilities out there.
    My biggest hope is that the bears can land Byron leftwich. I think that guy is gonna be the real deal, much better then Palmer. That guy has bust written all over him.

2. dxp4acu macrumors regular

why a bust?

I just can't see Palmer being a bust. I mean, every player is risky, but he looks golden. USC has had good qbs before, but not like this. He seems like he has prototype size, a great arm, etc. The main problem might be that he is going to cincy, but I still think they have a winner. I mean, green bay was nothing before Favre, so maybe he can turn it around.

3. Warren thread starter macrumors member

Re: why a bust?

Until the last 6-8 games of his college career the guy was pretty much a disappointment.

Great arm? His biggest question is arm strength.

This guy is a tall Cade McNown.

4. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Re: why a bust?

Dude this is said about some star quarterback every year and every year they bust. He had an easy schedule for the last year of his career. I heard my bucs might trade Warren Sapp to get the first pick though.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually, over the years, the coolest college qb i have seen who has actually lasted as a pro is doug flutie...a tiny guy by football standards

joe montana was also kind of scrawny and not too many people paid attention to him at the time...now he is retired with 4 superbowl rings...and if he got past the afc playoffs as the qb in kc, he would have most definitely had another ring

i hope my local raiders somehow get some young blood into their lineup for the next few years

i think oakland has gone as far as they can on experience and they now have to rebuild...their current superbowl quest is at an end

i still have some hopes for the 49ers, but in a few years, they will have to get new people, too

many draft choices that are high profile just dissipate when they hit the pro years...just saw an intersting show on vinnie testaverde from the time he got the heiseman as a qb in the mid-80s until now...still without a ring, but that man is a survivor...university of miami and some other college, tampa bay bucs, browns, ravens, and jets

6. stromie952 macrumors regular

Luckily for the Raiders, despite the fact that the Buccaneers did win the Super Bowl, you get two first round draft picks which should be beneficial for your new infusion of talent.

For me, I am a Buffalo Bills fan and I am either hoping for more D-line talent or maybe some more secondary help. Or even another WR. But, whatever we do, maybe we can get the #1 center in the second round. That would be sweet for us.

All I know for sure is that fact that I will be watching a lot of Draft action come next weekend.
    :)

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it was tough to see the 2000 raiders lose in the afc championship game, lose in the 2001 playoffs in a close game, and then lose in the 2002 season superbowl (in january 2003)

it took more than 15 years for the raiders to rebuild from their old days of glory in the late 70s-early 80s...now it will be another 15 years or at least 10 years, before the raiders are in that type of position again...if ever

some teams have never even got close to a superbowl in their entire history and with players going every which way, dynasties are a thing of the past

the bills had a dynasty with four straight trips to the superbowl but no will ever go four times to a superbowl again...when a player gets good, there are just too many lucrative offers on the table and to keep a good qb, running backs, and recievers on offense...or the same offense...is nearly impossible due to salary caps and other teams' offers

there used to be a time where the qb controversy was a common thing, but now if there i a great backup to a great quarterback, that backup can get a starting job on another team and with the way they get injured, a great backup is a very needed thing

some teams get so far and then a star player in some position is hurt and the whole team is crippled...any backup they usually have to rely on is not that great...again, because he is starting for another team in his position for more money

in northern california, my hope is for the 49ers to shine since they are at their best chance to do so...garcia is at his tops as well as his recievers...and the rams are in a slump right now because when they are hot...nobody in the nfc west stands a chance..at least for the next 10 years or as long as faulk and warner are active and on the rams

and in the nfc, the packers are getting outdated with farve reaching his twilight years and the vikings are not the threat they once were

so in the nfc, the 49ers have their window of opportunity right now

tampa bay is a wildcard....it's hard to see the future and if they can sustain some sort of powerhouse presence in the nfc

i would also like to see the 49ers contend and make their next superbowl bid before mike vick of atlanta reaches maturity as a qb and possibly makes atlanta dangerous in the nfc

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

afc also

and before you jump on me about the afc...the niners, without a young or montana or craig or lott, are lucky just to get thru that half of the football maze

the afc is much better these last few years and is no longer the minor leagues of pro football

and in the old days before the nfc dominance from 1981-mid/late 90s, the afc was the winner of 8 of of 10 superbowls in the 1970s with the likes of the afc pitt. steelers winning 4 of them that decade