2004 College Football!

Discussion in 'Community' started by G4scott, Sep 14, 2004.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, the season's already started, but there's still plenty to discuss! Who are your favorite teams? Which team will surprise us this year? Who will be #1?

I've gotta go for Texas (seeing as that's where I go to school...) and after a somewhat shaky, but awesome game against Arkansas last weekend, hopefully we've got the momentum to keep on going. We need to beat o.u. (who's definitely overrated. I mean, they let Cougar High score on them first!) And if we can do that, and not screw up our other games, we've got a chance for the national title...

What are your thoughts on college football?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

The only sport I relaly follow is baseball, but I gotta root for the alma mater (who I never paid attention to when I was actually attending school). Go Cal.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, normally I root for Washington, but since they've already been crushed by !gasp! Fresno State, I better pick another team.

Hmmm... I'm looking at the ESPN Top 25 now. Damn, I hate all these teams. Maybe West Virginia. Or Iowa, Maybe. Gonna be a long season....

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

The good news about college football season is that I love the game.

The bad news is that I'm a University of Illinois alumnus. Not looking so good after being shellacked by UCLA on Saturday. Hopefully not another 1-11 year...

5. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'm really pulling for Fresno State- as I got to spend some time at their annual camp for the local High School teams & meet their coaches - Not To mention I'm a big Clovis East fan & they have a couple of their former players in their program...

I would also love to see Army get back to respectabilty & back to the great running teams of the past...

Air Force is another fun team to watch...

I guess you could say I'm a big fan of the running game...lol...

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

As always, I'm rooting for Oregon State. I was pleasantly surprised at our performance against LSU, losing by a point in overtime, but that game was, sadly, ours for the taking, and we let LSU get back in it, coughing the ball up on downs with under 2:00 to go and up by eight... then letting them tie it in two plays. Of course, we looked abysmal against Boise State. =X But I still think that an 8-3 or 9-2 regular season and a mid-top-25 ranking is a possibility, considering our soft Pac-10 road schedule.

7. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Man, I was at that game, it was pretty awesome. Too bad my hogs couldn't pull it out. I doubt that Texas has it this year.

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

How about that OSU / Marshall game this weekend! Oh my god, a 56yard field goal by my man Nugent with 2seconds remaining! We played like ass and still pulled it out...

OH! IO!

Oh yeh, and that team up north lost to Notre Dame.. WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

9. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

USC looked darned good against Colorado State, and with a relatively easy schedule, look for the men of Troy to repeat as National Champions. Fresno State looks like a good sleeper team. But what's up with Michigan losing handily to Notre Dame...

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

That was a good game Scott. I was there, althought it was hard to see the outcome it was still a great game. We have enjoyed the games in the past, it's been a good match up. Although we did lose, I felt we did a whole lot better that we would have, makes me real excited for future games. I'm just not looking forward to next year without Matt Jones, I'm going to miss him.

iJon

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

nice to see notre dame beat up on michigan. i root for the terps, since i grew up in maryland, but have no real strong feelings for any one team. i just like watching exciting games. i think that college games are much more exciting than pro.

12. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Boomer Sooner! It's good to see that we can at least run on the NonCon's; that gives me some hope. However, the OU defense doesn't quite look as good as I'd hope. I think that they'll be in there.

USC does look very, very strong.

It pains me to say it, but Texas could be in there too. However, they always find a way to goof it up. Vince Young is the first player, from Texas, that has scared me in a very long time.

Everyone else in the Big 12... eh. This past weekend was pitiful.

Miami looks vulnerable. They remind me of the OU team that won with Heupel. Questionable QB, great D. I think that Heupel used up all the luck for his type of QB for the forseeable future. Berlin is due for a load of INT's. FSU looks even worse!

I haven't seen UGA or Florida yet so I can't say anything about them.

USC, Oklahoma, Miami, Ohio State, LSU are in the mix; I think that one will fail in a big way in the next three weeks.

13. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

Texas has to beat Oklahoma, and I know if that's going to happen with Mack Brown on the sidelines.

14. Aaon macrumors 6502

Go Irish! Gotta love ND. Their upset against Michigan was great. No gaurentees that they will have a great season, but it should be fun to watch.

Aaron

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

16. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Our defense wasn't being themselves that game. They never seemed to be able to wrap up any tackles, and they never put any pressure on the QB. Hopefully they'll improve before we play o.u. That was a scary game, though. I still can't believe how the Arkansas center snapped the ball over the kicker, and past the end zone...

We also need to get rid of our offensive coordinator Greg Davis, because he can't seem to call plays worth crap... If you saw the Texas - Arkansas game, you'll remember this play with a short pass to the side, and the Texas receiver always gets laid out almost instantly... Either give the guy some blockers, or ditch the play Greg Davis! Of course, as long as Mack Brown is there, Greg Davis will be there too...

If our defense can wrap it up, and our Offense can get through o.u.'s weakened defense, there will be a game in Dallas on October 9th worth watching... Last year was horrible... That's the problem with Texas... We've never been consistently good... We're more of an on and off team, and we're usually over-ranked (but not as badly as some other teams...)

17. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Well, I normally root for the Texas Longhorns, but they usually muck it up. I have started trying to watch some Texas Tech games since I have family teaching up there, but really they aren't that good. They score alot which makes them get some attention, but they can't really beat anyone good. When I am not rooting for Texas, I like Florida State and Miami.

18. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Right on! :D :cool:

19. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Amen. Go Irish indeed. I was at the Michigan game at field level (with the ND marching band!) - I have to say that it was very exciting. The student section rushed the field at the end.

20. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

You in the ND marching band?

21. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Scott,

Your Texas analysis sounds a lot like my thoughts on OU (sans firing the O.Coord.) We need to wrap guys up on D.

I can't wait for OU/TX

22. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Yeah, when I saw the ou - UofH game, I was amazed that Cougar High scored the first touchdown. OU's offense is as scary as ever, but their defense is much weaker than they were last year... Hopefully we can use it to our advantage, and manage to stop their offense... It'll be a nerve-wrecking game...

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Go Nebraska Cornhuskers, if not this year they will be back on top again soon. It was a great loss to lose Tom Osborne.

24. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

25. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Gotta cheer for my alma maters USC and Washington, but sadly I don't think Washington will be top contender this year. USC on the other hand will easily repeat.

Texas? Gimme a break every year someone says they will be the top team and it never happens.

Nebraska? Old news, they shouldn't have even made the national championship game a few years back.

Fresno State looks like a great cinderella team.