2004 G5 Specs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hummerh3, Sep 29, 2003.

1. hummerh3 macrumors newbie

If Pentium 4 hits a wild number like dual 4.8 GHz by August 2004, how can the Dual 3 GHz G5 compete when there's a total difference of 3.6 GHz? Does anybody know what numbers the Pentium 4 will reach by summer '04? Is it likely that the Powerbook G5 will have a single processor speed of 3 GHz or dual processors with perhaps less speed? Can we expect more RAM, and a 2MB cache (per processor?), maybe L3?

Will

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

these threads never make sense. august 2003 just passsed. why dont we wait till we get closer. plus 2.6 ghz will be a hefty jump, dont know if they will get it done in less than a year. im not to worried.

iJon

3. hummerh3 thread starter macrumors newbie

true
    no need to worry i guess. it's way too early to be asking this--i'm just so impatient
    :(

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

have they claimed thats how fast they will be by then (pentiums, not the g5's)

iJon

5. acj macrumors 6502

They are not supposed to be a whole lot faster in GHz, but about 20-25% faster PER MHz. This due to SSE3, 1MB cache, and other improvements. They are looking at about 3.8GHz by then

The register, however (ha!) Seems to think the Pentium V (after prescott) will run from 5-7GHz and be released summer 2004.

6. hummerh3 thread starter macrumors newbie

4.8 GHz is just a number i heard somewhere in the forum, a guess by someone. I can't find the thread @ the moment though.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If MicroSoft can actually release a decent OS that includes cures for the largest drawbacks of the current OS in 2004, then a 1GHz G4 iMac will have trouble competing against a 4.8GHz PC.

Until then, states like Massachusetts will continue to embrace Wintel alternatives, and the 1GHz G4 iMac may stand a chance against a 4.8GHz Wintel PC.