2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Mar 14, 2006.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Found one at a used dealership in town for $9,950. Good deal? I think everything on it is just the standard package (though it is an automatic). It doesn't have Cruise Control but the salesman willing to add it on at no extra charge to me.

???

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Really? What seems to happen? And was it specifically the 05's?

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I don't know about the 2005 neons, but my gf has a 1996 and its pretty reliable.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Perhaps they got better - it WAS 98 when I was selling them.

Usually transmissions and electrical problems.

Have a look at Consumer Reports, or perhaps a board member who has a subcription can look it up for you - I could be way off base.

Have you considered a Honda?

I'm on my third - the first two went well over 200,000 and were in operable condition when I traded them.

6. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

I want a Honda - but my options are kinda limited. My parents are gonna help finacing so I have to find a used one around where they live and I have to find a car before Thursday or they'll pick one for me.

I have been driving a 93 Izuzu Rodeo (always hated that thing) and it's been stalling on the interstate. So naturally since I hate it I won't spend money to fix it so I'd rather want a small car to replace it.

My dad is happy that it's a 2005 and my Mom like the interior and it's the style that I like.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

You should probably get it then. It sound slike a good deal.

I rent them all the time on business and they ARE fun to drive. ;)

Good luck.

8. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I'm actually a dealer and I'll say that these are (to be blunt) cheap cars. Made cheaply, and will run well for about 50,000 given normal maintenance. Then you're in for electrical problems, A/C could go out, transmission problems, etc. They make you feel like its a good car at the beginning then the car falls apart, no one will buy it (resale stinks) and you've got 1K- or more in fixing it.

Can I recommend a civic or corolla?

9. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, I am going to a nearby town tonight to see if there are any deals. If not, then this car is it. Too bad it doesn't already have the cruise control or else I can take it back up to college thursday. My dad is off work next week so he'll drive up the car and I'll be driving my Mom's car for a week. sigh.

10. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

If you can recommend me one in SE Missouri used under 10K then sure.

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

First gen Neon was a pile of doo doo. The second wave and on weren't bad. There are two 2002 models in the family, nice boring cars.

12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

There is not a single used civic or corolla near you? Have you tried autotrader.com? I would never buy a Dodge Neon. They are made very poorly and everything about them feels cheap. My friend had one and it just caused all sorts of problems. He had electrical problems and something just fell off. As well they are not very safe.

13. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Well I'm in central Kentucky, if you wanted to wait (which you don't) I could get you a good deal through an auction. (the corolla is made 20 minutes from me at the Georgetown plant along with camry and sienna) needless to say we are swimming in toyotas over here.

Get what makes you happy, I just telling you from experience, it most likely won't be smooth sailing.

Check the newspaper classifieds? :confused:

14. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Don't go with the Neon unless you can't find anything else! My family has had American cars, and now my mom drives an 8 year old Volvo. It always seems like that something is going wrong with one of the American cars. But the Volvo, granted we haven't had it long, has shown no problems. Go foreign. You'll appreciate it later.

15. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

You guys make them sound like they are awful piles of crap. They aren't. So long as you keep up on maintenance, specifically tranny fluid flushes, you'll be fine. Neons are nice little commuter cars. And as far as buying foreign cars, don't even get me started on those torque-less wonders.

**edit**
    I should say btw, the only real wiring issue with neons is poor grounding. $20 worth of 4 and 8gauge wire and about an hour can solve that problem. I've done custom grounding kits on those cars with huge success.

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

He doesn't sound that worried about tourque more of a point A to point B. The Neon will work fine with that for about 3 years if used. I suggest something that he can keep well over 100,000 miles without much maintenance, hence the corolla or civic. Don't get me started on those unreliable American made cars.

17. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I had a 1994 mercury tracer till 165k, then a 1994 jeep cherokee till 195k miles, and I've seen neons go till 150k miles with no major problems. I think its just a matter of maintenance. 3 years? Thats pretty quick for any car to have problems. Its not a yugo.

18. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I have friends that have Neons and I haven't heard many complaints besides weak pickup on the 4cyl. Personally, I just picked up a 2003 Galant for $8g loaded. Great cars.

19. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I would also suggest a honda civic or something along those lines. I personally don't like Toyota.

Even though the Neon, Civic and Corolla are all small cars. I think the Neon can not hold a candle to either one. Make sure you test drive some of those foreign cars and compare it to the Neon. ..and you will find out what everybody here is talking about.

20. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Bah, please, for the love of god, no one listen to Consumer Reports! They are in bed with Honda, it's not even funny - and they don't even try to hide it.

Neon's are fine cars, and most would consider them more stylish then any boring Civic or Corolla. ;)

21. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

3 year was an exaggeration, I will give you that. Jeep is a American company I repect, they do make quality cars most of the time. Jeeps and Fords are two companies that most of the time make quality cars. Not all of them are but most of their models. Dodge and GM on the other hand...those are a whole other story.

22. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am not a fan of American cars, but my brother has a 2000 with 100,000 miles. Major service needed was a new starter ($200) and a new radiator ($300).

My sister had a 1996 Neon, which she treated like crap. It never died, but she traded it in for a newer car. Major service needed was a new thermostat, which she never even bothered to get and the car still ran fine.

23. Frisco macrumors 68020

24. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

That was kinda what I was getting at also.

On a side note, it feels really weird sticking up for neons since I really don't care for them that much. But, the reason I don't care for them is their styling and lack of handling. That being said, since my gf bought her 1996 neon about 10 months ago, the styling has grown on me, and the handling is decent. Far better than any cavalier I've driven, but substantially lower than my ZX2.

25. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

OK, made myself my first car purchase ever

2005 Silver Dodge Neon SXT @ $10,375

Found a silver one with Cruise and keyless entry for only a little more. And I will get it today as opposed to the 9,950 priced model. Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have any qualms with forgien cars - I have been driving a 93 Izuzu for a couple of years now - I just couldn't find a car that I wanted before tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll like this car and I got 9.35% interest and a min payment of around $189 per month. I'll post a picture once I pick it up after it gets cleaned at the dealership.