2005 Honda Civic Si

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, Feb 4, 2005.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Attached Files:

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

that's pretty sweet looking!

a bit expensive for a "civic" though... (i'm sure it's not, but you know?)

3. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

A friend of mine has the 2004 model. It's a stick. It has a sorta racing feel. It reminded me of the mini I used to have, except it was faster and the interior was little more spare looking. It also didn't handle quite as well, but the mini handled better than any car I've ever driven.

He's had for probably like 9 months and as far as I know he hasn't had any problems. I wouldn't say he's really enthusiastic either.

It's a honda. Hondas last a while, have high resale value, in my opinion don't look that cool (they have more "refined" styling) and don't handle especially well, but are never a poor investment because of their longevity.

You should check out the Mini too though. It's smaller, but it is a blast to drive, and fantastic (I mean absolutely amazing) for parallel parking. It fits in spots lengthwise that some of those big SUVs wouldn't fit into widthwise.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I can't stand Civics, they are cheap sound like crap and everyone has one. When will the little kids learn. :rolleyes:

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I like them. Yeah alot of people have them but it gets good gas millage and some can go over 100,000 miles before needing a tune up.

I hate hatchbacks though. sorry :p

6. JamesSykes macrumors newbie

The new Honda Civics are probably the best all round small cars you will ever get. Well made and very good when it comes to reliability.

I had an 04 Type-R for a while until i realised paying such alot on insurance was a very stupid idea. (£2000 on the insurance for that one year!)

Very fast car, handled like a dream, out-pace most cars to 60.

7. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

No one has a Civic Si, though. The beauty of the Civic is that you can fix it up a million different ways to make it your own. Little kids? They're the ones driving Civic sales through the roof. Of note: Civic Si sales have been slumping lately.....I don't really know why, but it's making dealers almost give them away.

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Im sorry but I think it is ugly. I bought a Ford Focus ZX3, and I am sick of the cheap feeling that you get on sub $20,000 cars. I am going to sell it and buy a 196x Chevrolet Nova. Those are nice. They will smoke most cars you will find on the road (including the new Mustang)

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Maybe cheap and not sound the best, but maybe that's all some people can afford.

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I like it. If I was in the market for a car, I'd give it a whirl. I would choose silver instead though :D

11. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

The console mounted shifter would drive me nuts. Kind of like how the center mounted speedometer in a mini cooper would drive me crazy. It just doesn't belong there! Sure, the shifter is mounted on the consoles of some of those Citroen rally efforts, but it just looks gross!

But to address more practical matters... this thing is about 4 cylinders short of being capable of providing any semblance of a "rush" from its engine. 160 hp isn't exactly exotic territory. Mustang mustang mustang! 300hp for 25 grand.

Btw, you're really getting screwed if you're only getting the wholesale price for your car by trading it in after paying that huge premium for buying a new car. Sell it yourself and you'll probably recover another thousand or two.

12. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

The build quality of a Civic Si or a Focus Zx3 (may they rest in peace) easily beats that of a Nova. The ergonomics of 60's cars were horrendous. Some of the contortions you have to undergo just to put your hand on the shifter and your foot on the clutch pedal are attrocious. Don't get me wrong. Any car that can do a 1/4 mile in the 13's is pretty amazing.

BUT... regarding your beef with the new mustang... what happens beyond that 1/4 mile? Who's faster to 130? 140? 150? And what happens on a road course? There's a lot more to life than your ET at the strip. I don't think you could find a single man who'd want to lap Laguna Seca, Button Willow, or even the infield at Indy in a Nova. Maybe the oval =)

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Not many people plan on going on a track with their car, and testing their speeds at 130+. I just rode in my buddies tonight, I would way rather have it than most hondas. It sounds good, nice comfortable leather seats, all metal build...

I just what you pay for in automobiles is crap these days. $18,000 will get you a Focus SVT, 170HP V4! Bleh

Bump to around 35,000, you get the Mitsubishi Evo VIII. Fast car, nice crisp inside. But its still a V4. I can't stand it. V8s only come in high-end muscle cars (Mustang GT), (Corvette), or high end Trucks.

14. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I'm surprised this is even being discussed on a Mac forum.

This is looking more and more like the "3dmark" tweakers on the PC forums.

3dmark "bench" time does NOT equal real world performance. So what if your car does a 12-13s 1/4 mile. Unless your speeding/racing, it doesn't matter. The only times that do matter are the 2nd >> 3rd gear, when you are going from 25's to 50's. Everything beyond those speeds, and well, you better have a Valentine 1.

I seriously just can't get over the irony of this, and it being even discussed on a Mac forum. One of the MR members signature reads "3.6GHz P4, watch the guy play Solitaire with it" bears an eerie resemblance here...

15. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

The guy wants to buy a new car. He posted it in the community forum, not a hardware or other specifically "mac" section. If you're really so adamant about keeping the content of this site exclusively Mac, go PM an admin and tell him to wasteland this entire thread. I doubt he'll sympathize.

Non sequitur of the century. Or at least of the year.

Thanks for reiterating my statement about road racing. I'll send that one to the department of redundancy department for you. To be sure, I was talking about power exactly for those racing purposes. And in case you're unsure, road racing has a nice following in areas near tracks.

Really? The speed limit on legion roads in California is 70 mph. Try driving 25 to 50 mph on any highway. Prepare to be passed by trailer tractors and semis hauling down the roadway at 80 mph plus.

Just my $5000. And two cents.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So what if lots of people own Civics? I just find it to be a bit elitest to have to own something that the majority don't own. I hope you're not a Mac user for this reason. :rolleyes:

And not every "kid" is rich enough to afford the cars that you like.

17. iGav macrumors G3

4 cylinder or not... the list is short when it comes to the production cars that are capable of keeping a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII honest cross country.

18. bearlan macrumors newbie

With the exception of one or two posters, everyone's blabbered and opined, but not actually answered the question. Worse still, some of them have probably not even been in one!
    I own an '02 Civic Si, which is almost precisely identical to the model you're looking at. Forget about the Civic bashing. The chassis on this generation of the Si (called the EP3 body style) is ultra-stiff, and feels very European (no surprise, since it was built for the European market and is built in Swindon, England and imported here). The chassis is good for more power, and in England and most other parts of the world, you can get the Type-R version, with 197 horsies. I've read that the suspension setup on the US version is exactly the same as the Type-R's and it wouldn't surprise me, as body roll is minimal through corners. The only thing I would change and will change once cash becomes available are the tires. Very disappointing.
    The dash mounted gearshift, though unusual looking, affords a very natural feel to gearshifting and makes your shifts easier. Once you're used to it, you'll wonder why other car manufacturers don't follow suit. The 160hp engine is adequate for most purposes, and this Si has the most torque ever in any Civic. It's a blast to drive, and I often take mine out just to cruise around on the roads because it's so much fun to drive. The split 60-40 folding rear seats are a revelation, as folding them down opens up a TON of space! This is one of the primary reasons I bought one.
    If I were in a similar position as you, I'd make the trade and pick up the Civic. Be warned, though, that some people have complained about the transmission syncros wearing out prematurely. Get your dealer to commit to working with you on that if a problem should arise. Aside from that, the car is pretty damn near perfect. Have fun!

brandon..

19. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Lol where should I begin? The guy asks about a Civic, and then the domestic-crazed guy comes to tell him that Civics suck >> typical American/Domestic driver drivel.

That's what I'm talking about.

Secondly, 25-50 is the speed at which you get onto the highway. After that, its not as much of a big deal. I live in Maryland, so I'm afraid I can't relate to your "legiod road" experience. We have highways that go to 65 limit (pacing speed 75), and the Civic can get to 75MPG just fine.

If you're a V8 lover and demand a 0-60 of 4 seconds or whatever, that's your opinion, but you can get up to 70-80MPH just as well with a Civic (but slower obviously).

And what the hell is this supposed to mean? I have passed trucks easily with my Civic, obviously not with neck-jerking speed of a V8, but its good enough. The Civic I have is rated at 126, with HP @ the wheels probably much less than that. If you have to have 400HP/one google of torque just to make do on a highway, you are CLEARLY not a good driver. That's all I'm gonna say.

20. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you Brandon! The first real on-topic post, instead of unrelated posts like how fast one can get between 70-80 MPH in Maryland, and why an outdated 196x American "muscle" car is better than a Civic. I must say, who cares? :rolleyes:

What about your average MPG? The Civic Si is said to be rated by the EPA at 26/31. What kind of real world MPG do you get on a day to day basis? And do you know at what mileage the tranny syncros wear out? How is the throw distance between shifts (i.e., the distance the shifter moves between gears)?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.....
    Seth

21. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Since Civic Si's are moving rather slowly off the lots these days, some of my local dealers are letting brand new 2005's go for terrific prices. The retail of a 2005 Civic Si is something near $19,000. I met a lady at my university that got hers for just over $15,000. That's amazing, considering if I privately sell my '02 Civic EX I should be able to get at least $13,000, if all goes well. That won't leave too much of a gap to cover.

160HP is a kick in the pants. No, not a 300HP Mustang kick, but I wouldn't want a Mustang if it was given to me. I'd sell it and buy a BMW, my dream car. Right now I'm getting around 132 horses, which is not great at all, but it's faster than most Civic's. The Si will be a welcome change, especially with all that low end power. I don't need a 300HP unrefined beast, I want a peppy, light, fuel efficient car that will outrun your average car driver. Remember, the Civic can corner like crazy, not like those top heavy Mustangs.

22. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

dude
    just go buy an rsx type S or base 5 speed and turbo it

used or new, dont matter much

you will pay maybe 5 to 6 grand more..

after all its an acura

the civic si is very SLOW

it uses the same motor as the rsx base model

only difference is the intake manifold and some other minor things

IMO: the rsx whichever is nicer than the Si

sorry thats just my taste

let me know what you think

EDIT: this si cant be compared to the 99-00 civic si

its not a rev friendly b16a2 motor, it doesnt have the ORIGINAL TRUE Vtec power like the integra GSR / ITR and CTR / rsx type S, and R , s2000

those cars have the REAL honda / acura vtec within the inline 4 class

23. bcharm macrumors member

I'd hold off for the 2006 model which is not too far off. Honda's going to reveal the next generation of the Civic line in about a week at the Chicago Auto Show. And they'll be arriving at the dealers in the fall. Here's a sneak peak.

Attached Files:

24. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

if your SERIOUS ABOUT THAT civic...

is it that a si only? or other civic?