2005 NBA playoffs

Discussion in 'Community' started by toaster_oven, Apr 21, 2005.

1. toaster_oven macrumors regular

ok- prediction time:

matchups:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    (1) Miami vs. (8) New Jersey
    (2) Detroit vs. (7) Philadelphia
    (3) Boston vs. (6) Indiana
    (4) Chicago vs. (5) Washington

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    (1) Phoenix vs. (8) Memphis
    (2) San Antonio vs. (7) Denver
    (3) Seattle vs. (6) Sacramento
    (4) Dallas vs. (5) Houston

I'm thinking Detroit vs Miami in the east with Detroit winning in 7 (as long as rasheed and hamilton are healthy - this series might be the best of the playoffs - of course i'm biased because i'm a huge Pistons fan)

in the west I have no clue- I don't think phoenix is going to go - my two picks are San Antonio or Dallas to go to the finals...

anyone else care to speculate?

-TO

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Wizards all the way!

OK. No. Detroit is looking good. Shaq might end up finding the conference finals this year as frustrating as the finals last year. The West seems wide open. Denver is increadibly hot. San Antonio has injury problems. Seattle is iffy. Dallas is unproven, but better inside than previously. Pheonix has looked good most of the season, but who knows how their style will work in the playoffs.

I hope the Wizards do well though. It's been 17 years since a playoff win here in DC, and over 20 years for a playoff series win. At least one of those streaks should end.

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Wiz Kids baby.

Good:
    Maryland (Dixon/Blake/Profit)
    Arizona (Arenas)

vs. Evil:
    Kansas (Hinrich)
    Duke (Duhon)

4. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

well as macrumors 2005 ncaa pool runner up....i am the first to say that hopefully this thread can be as HUGE and fun as the ncaa thread....blah blah blah....

anyways i see pistons vs suns....finals.... i think that detroit has a great chance to end up beating miami in the conference finals because shaq has a reported injury that may affect his playoff playing time and more importantly his skill and ability to dominate a team....i think that detroit fans should look for tayshaun prince to bring big things to our playoff roster this year...if we win it WILL be because of him...ronald dupree has great things in store for us as well i believe...in the west...i dont see anyone taking down pheonix besides SA...they are just frickin powerful as all hell...hopefully we wont get let down this year...cant wait til saturday..LETS GET THIS THREAD GOING!!! :D

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the NBA post season goes waaaay to long.

6. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Being a diehard fan of the woeful Clippers (hey, at least they improved, did better than the Lakers, and have an insanely bright future in Shaun Livingston; without the 153 games missed by their top 3 guards, they'd be in the playoffs, sigh... :(), I know a bit more about the Western Conference. It will be an interesting postseason for sure.

Phoenix for sure. Memphis is struggling a bit right now, and Phoenix is flat out a better team. Steve Nash is my pick for league MVP this year. He almost singlehandedly transformed a 29-53 team into the best record in the league.

I honestly hope Phoenix wins it all, because their style of play is so much more fun to watch than most defensive minded teams these days. Reminds me of the 80s and early 90s when games well under 100 points were the exception, not the rule. If they were to win it, you can be sure other teams would adopt a similar style of play. Still, I'm not sure if their style can go too far in the playoffs. Defense will be needed.

Denver's very hot right now (winning 24 out of 27 games??) and you gotta love little Earl Boykins. George Karl gets my vote for coach of the year for turning around a floundering team. Still, if Duncan is back to top form for the series, I expect San Antonio to prevail in a tough battle.

Seattle is finally losing its lift, so I'm gonna go with Sacramento. The Sonics should still be proud, as most people had them picked dead last in the West before the season started.

Dallas is playing really good ball right now, but I'm gonna go with Houston. I think the Rockets may be the dark horse team in the West this year. They're playing extremely well the last week or two, and if that carries through the playoffs, I'm not sure if any team can beat them. Just a little perspective - Denver, who had won 24 out of 26 games, lost big to Houston 115-87 on Saturday.

It's really tough to pick an overall winner for the Western Conference - Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix all have a legitimate shot at it. Should be fun to watch!

As for the East, I wouldn't mind seeing Miami win it all just so Shaq can spite Kobe even more :D but it looks like Detroit is peaking at just the right time.

7. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

As a Laker fan, my interest in the playoffs has waned suddenly and I haven't watched as many games as usual this year. :p

If Duncan is healthy, I think you have to consider San Antonio the favorite in the West, with Phoenix or Dallas the possible upset-ers.

Detroit and Miami seem like the only relevant teams in the East. The Pistons are a lot deeper, but Shaq could take the Heat all the way to the finals and it wouldn't surprise me at all. If Detroit gets the kind of balanced team play that they had in last year's playoffs, I don't see Miami stopping them.

Obviously, if everybody clicks on one of those teams, they can go all the way. In last year's finals, Detroit played very well at just the right time, even better than in the previous rounds. And the Lakers played crappy at just the wrong time, far worse than against the Spurs and T'wolves. I don't see anyone besides those five teams putting all together for a Cinderella story though.

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    1st:
    (1) Miami vs. (8) New Jersey
    (2) Detroit vs. (7) Philadelphia
    (3) Boston vs. (6) Indiana
    (4) Chicago vs. (5) Washington

2nd:
    (1) Miami vs. (6) Indiana
    (2) Detroit vs. (4) Chicago

3rd:
    (1) Miami vs. (4) Chicago

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    1st:

2nd:
    (1) Phoenix vs. (7) Denver
    (3) Seattle vs. (4) Dallas

3rd:
    (1) Phoenix vs. (4) Dallas

Finals:
    (1) Miami vs. (4) Dallas

Champion:
    (4) Dallas

Maybe.......... :)

9. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! :eek:

10. Sox macrumors regular

I can see Reggie Miller throwing the Pacers on his back and carrying them into the second round vs. the Pistons. In a playoffs without NY, LA, and LBJ, the Pacers/Pistons clash could be the marquee matchup. Since the brawl, these two teams have traveled down considerably different paths. The swansong of Miller and perhaps Larry Brown. I can't wait for this.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree completely. Plus, NBA basketball is nowhere near as exciting as NCAA basketball. Wake me up when the NBA finals are over.

12. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I never said that is what I think will happen:) ........

that is what I want to happen in the playoffs.

But all in all.....I do not really care b/c it's nowhere near as exciting as the NCAA Tournament.

13. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

oh oh my misunderstanding......might not be as exciting...but whatev i love this game haha

14. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Lol no surprise. UNC just got a National Title. I didn't care about the Wizards in '02, but then again, they were in one of those 20-60 seasons -_-.

15. Beck446 macrumors regular

Shaq is faking the injury to get a game or two of rest in. If you've been following Shaq's career, this conclusion is obvious.

In the west, the Spurs will win if Duncan is healthy and Tony plays like a man. Manu will be a beast. Tony, however, is inconsistent as hell. But when Tony is playing well (like he was for like a 20 game stretch at the end of the season), the Spurs are far and away the most powerful team in the league. Nazr off the bench is just ridiculous. Phoenix would kill for a guy like Nazr.

Spurs v Pistons/Heat in finals. Spurs win in 6 against either.

PS: in the interests of full disclosure, I grew up in San Antonio.

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just like the national title Maryland earned a few years ago? :)

Our Charlotte Bobcats had a crap season, but then again it was their first season, their payroll was (I think) the lowest in the NBA, and their new arena isn't done yet (they were still playing in the old Charlotte Coliseum).

17. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

A few pics from the Piston-76er game on Saturday, if anyone is going to other games, post some pics, I'd love to see them (that is snow in the last one :eek: )

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

San Antonio loses to Denver. Houston over Dallas. Some interesting developments so far.

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think the Bulls will beat the Wizards, but won't go beyond that. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of my knowledge of this year's teams, other that Miami and Phoenix have played well all year, but the Heat have dropped off as of late without Shaq so we'll see.

I'd like to see the Bulls do well, and it was nice to see them win their first playoff game in 7 years tonight...

20. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

i heard you guys got a foot of snow yesterday... one of the reasons i'm glad I don't live in Michigan anymore... great pics - looks like you had really great seats too... are you going to any more playoff games?

anyway... here's the results as of Monday Morning:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    (1) Miami vs. (0) New Jersey
    (1) Detroit vs. (0)Philadelphia
    (1) Boston vs. (0) Indiana
    (1) Chicago vs. (0) Washington

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    (1) Phoenix vs. (0) Memphis
    (0) San Antonio vs. (1) Denver
    (1) Seattle vs. (0) Sacramento
    (0) Dallas vs. (1) Houston

after the Dallas Houston game, I've changed my mind about Dallas going to the finals...

the east went pretty predictable- except I was suprized at how well Boston did...

Tonight's games:

Boston vs. Indiana 7pm EST
    Dallas vs. Houstan 9:30pm EST

-TO

21. rkphoto macrumors regular

rkphoto

I think it's going to be Miami and Dallas in the finals and Miami's going to win it. However I also think the Knicks are going to the finals next year (I have to have something to keep me going through these dark days in the history of basketball in New York).

22. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

You know that Dallas is down 2-0 to Houston, right? A finals appearance is looking unlikely at this point.

23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Things could be looking up rkphoto. Speculation of Phil Jackson, of course, is what I'm talking about...

24. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i dont know if anyone has been watching the pistons games...GEEZ they look great :p

25. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I'm skeptical that Jackson would be willing to put up with Isiah Thomas. That and the fact that the Knicks are far, far away from being contenders. And Phil hasn't been interested in building from scratch in the past.