2005 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Mar 2, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Edit: Instructions on joining the MacRumors Pool:
    To clarify for everybody. To join the group (which is apparently limited to 50, so if we get more we'll start a MacRumors2! group) follow the link to the Tournament Pick-Em page:

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

From there, you will probably have to sign in (perhaps even create a Yahoo! ID if you don't have one) and accept the terms and conditions.

I got a little confused because I had to set up my picks list before actually joining a group. Once your pick list is set up, then you can choose to join a group (it will be pretty obvious how to do it). To join:

Group Number: 4056
    Password: emw

Once you've joined, go to Group Home to see the list of others that have entered picks. Also, once you've joined you can use http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men/group/4056 to go right to the ranking page.

Good Luck, everybody!!

-------

Now you could say that this thread is a little early, but given that Penn is already in, and selection Sunday is only 11 days away and we need to prepare, I think it's a perfect time.

Now I don't know if anything like this has been done in the past, since I joined after the last tournament, but have we ever done a "for fun pool"? Obviously no money would exchange hands, but I was trying to think of a way to have a fun MacRumors NCAA pool.

I would be willing to host people's picks on my web server. I couldn't really come up with any slick interface, but I could house the files and make the directory available for uploading picks. I could also take the final tournament bracket and turn it into a PDF form that people could fill out electronically and upload. We could then leave my "depository" open for people's picks until the tournament starts, then lock it down. We'd then do daily tournament updates to see who's the best prognosticator.

Any thoughts? If this is a bad idea, mods, let me know. Otherwise, let's have some fun!

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That'd be a great idea if you were doing it for the NIT, since that is where my Terps are going to end up :eek:

But seriously, I'll go with Chaney in the 8th on a TKO.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

4. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I clicked it and I just get an error that I'm not a member of the group :confused:

In any case, this is a great idea! Looks like a cool way to do it.

Edit: Never mind. I had to go to the main page, set up a pick list, then join the group by number (4056). Works okay now, and emw's picks are in the list. Perhaps the only time I'll see Rank -1 next to my picks for the rest of the tournament ;)

5. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Count me in - I'll try to sign in when I get home from work tonight!

GO UCONN!!!

6. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Instructions to Join Group and Create Picks

To clarify for everybody. To join the group (which is apparently limited to 50, so if we get more we'll start a MacRumors2! group) follow the link to the Tournament Pick-Em page:

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

From there, you will probably have to sign in (perhaps even create a Yahoo! ID if you don't have one) and accept the terms and conditions.

I got a little confused because I had to set up my picks list before actually joining a group. Once your pick list is set up, then you can choose to join a group (it will be pretty obvious how to do it). To join:

Group Number: 4056
    Password: emw

Once you've joined, go to Group Home to see the list of others that have entered picks. Also, once you've joined you can use the link that Kwyjibo posted above (http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men/group/4056) to go right to the ranking page.

Once the field is set, I can post instructions on how to fill in your picks (not what to pick ;)) if anyone wants them.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I think i screwed somethin up, cause I ain't able to pick no teams! Mine won't let me do anything till march 13th, and yours (emw) says till the 17th. What up?

Attached Files:

8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Well, we shouldn't be able to make our picks until the pairings are actually announced...

I've participated in this type of thing through other websites in past years (cbs sportsline, espn, etc...) and they track all your picks through each round. It's pretty cool - And easy, since no one has to do any of the work...

9. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Two different things. You can't make your picks until the 13th when the pairings are announced.

You can't see my picks until after the deadline to submit your picks - can't have you cheating now, you know. :D

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

So no one has made any picks yet then?

What about pick'n the bracket you'll be pick'n from! Come'on there is a lot to do here, this is VERY, VERY, IMPORTANT, EARTHSHATTERING STUFF DAMN IT!

It got my juices flow'n and now I know how my wife feels! :eek:

11. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Um. Interesting. ;)

But I know what you mean about wanting to get started. I just want to see how the conference tourneys go and if Illinois can stay undefeated going into the NCAA tournament.

Actually, the more I think about it, if Illinois goes undefeated, they'll be 39-0. That's staggering, isn't it? In Indiana's undefeated championship season, they were 32-0. Illinois could be there before even getting to the tournament!

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Ya, don't worry I don't leave'er hanging, just was mad, was ready to pick who would be in the 64/65 thing!

Ya Illini have been on cruise control. will be a real test of character around the sweet 16 when things really go down, it won't be fun have the jerks from dook in your set, if that happens.

I am just itching to start, will be hard waiting till thursdays, at least up till UNC wins it all!!!!!!!!

This just in...Illini forfet to UNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved the earlier remark about cheney in the 8th, that was good!

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

14. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

What are you talking about? Beating Duke is always fun!

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Jee, can't remember, I'll take your word on it! Seems like it would be, hope to find out on the 6th.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I just hope my [formerly top 25] George Washington Colonials can make it! And of course, hope that Duke suffers.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

not after that loss to st. joes at home... they need to do well in the a10 tourney... probably win it flat out.

20. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

ESPN's Bracketology has them as a #11 seed. I think they'll make it in - they've beaten some good teams, have a reasonable record both overall and in-conference, and have won on the road.

21. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

A loss to St. Joe's is no shame - even at home. SJ has done really well of late (13-2 in the A10) despite a challenging year.

The A10 will get 2, maybe 3 bids this year, and GWU should be one of them. With wins over ranked opponents, including a tough MSU team, and the best overall record in the A-10 (you didn't play a lot of cupcakes), GW better make it.

22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Looks like a great bracket for UNC, I would like that one. OK would be the one I would most worry about, otherwise the other good teams would not match too well against the heels, of course teams selfterminate often!

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I hope GWU does make it. I don't think they need to win the A-10 tourny (I certainly hope they don't, because they never have). But 2 or 3 more wins should do it for them. 20 or 21 and 8. If they lose at Rhode Island (their last regular season game), however, I'd think they're definitely out.

Bracketology, about the GW-St. Joe's game said: "Loser may be out of at-large picture, if not already."

I didn't mean to hijack this into a GW thread. How are you're all's favorite teams doing? Maryland (my wife's school) seems to have a solid shot. It's nice being in a power conference. I remember when the A-10 could count on 4 bids. Sniff. Jebus! Bracketology has the Big East getting 8? I think there should be some kind of limit. Especially if Georgetown is that 8th team!

24. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'd like to see gw there too, we'll see... but i know that there are other more deserving teams from better conferences if gw can't win a few more games.

maryland desperately needs to beat v-tech this weekend... it's been so painful watching them this year...

the bb&t was fun for me this year because while i'll always be a terp at heart, watching the game at my local GW bar and seeing my colonials dump 100points on them was fun :D