2005 scion tC

Discussion in 'Community' started by raiderz182, Oct 10, 2004.

1. raiderz182 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
    I'd like to apologize in advance if I am doing something wrong. But I recently started this thread : 2005 scion xA , I figured different car model might attract different readers.

Anyways, my mom decided to lend me some money(IF I promise to get automatic instead of manual) and as a result, I have more options. I looked around at honda, and mazda's stuff, but in the end I am still more attracted to the scion brand. I really like the 2005 tC, the way it looks, the pricing, the features.

So that being said, I my question is the same, does anyone here have any good/bad experiences with this car? ANY type of information will be helpful.

Sorry if i broke any forum rules. And also I wanna thank all the xA owners out there who helped.(the reason why i decided to go with the tC is because all this talk about the xA being weak really got to me. I live in an area where there are a lot of hills so I'm kinda scared it wont be able to handle it.)

UPDATE : hey all, thanks for the input. first of all, i just want to pre-warn all those out there who want a tC, its so damn hard to find a tc for sale right away(wait time is 3 weeks - 2 months). I called about 25 dealerships around my area and finally found one about 20 miles away from me. they had 1 white tc with subwoofer installed and floormats in em. I knew about the pure pricing, but i didn't know that they won't take off the accessories that it came with! he kept saying it would be illegal to sell it to me as a base model, since it came to the dealership with those extra accessories. well i got it anyway, with 2 miles on it (1 was from my test drive). i've put 80 miles on it in a day, and i absolutely LOVE IT. i highly reccomend. i'll post pics as soon as my friend gets around to lending me his camera -_-
  2. evil macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    i saw one at the dealership next door to my dads so i checked it out. i thought it was pretty cool. seems like a mighy fine car for a good price.
  3. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2004
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    It would be a crime to get a tC in auto. :( That's really all I can say.
  4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    You can't get a better / sexier car for under $20K. Since it's an offshoot of Toyota, I'd bet you'd have few problems with it as well.

Have you seen it in person yet? GOD I love that interior ... and the roof! I'm really impressed by everything that comes with the base model -- nice wheels, sound system, etc. I actually want a Scion tC myself ... I bet you would have never guessed? :)

If you don't get the Scion for some reason, I'd recommend a look at the new 2005 Ford Mustang.
  5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    I test drove the scion, automatic - and hated it.

A rattling, bumpy ride... I'm quite certain you can find a nicer car for ~$20k.

I'd be certain to go for a '05 civic or maybe the slightly redesigned '05 Acura RSX. Either way, the tC felt boxy and sluggish... almost hollow.

I walked away thinking there was no way I'd drop $17k on this car.

If you don't buy a Toyota.. buy a Ford. What sense does that make? A toyota is an excellant choice, but I'm not sold on the Scion's resale value or build quality. A Ford however... ugh, good luck with that.
  6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i think the entire scion lineup is pretty fugly personally...

what about something used? pick up a used car off a 3yr lease? get something with low miles... much nice car, broken in... i bought my current ride (1998 volvo s90 with all the upgraded rims and crap) for like 18k a few years ago...
  7. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Dude if you live in a hilly area and get a low horsepower car without the manual transmission; you'll be hating life.
    Step up and get out of that market and get a mid-size car.
  8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    Toyotas' are by far the most dependable and well made cars on the road, there is no disagreement. I personally am getting a tC, and its one of the best cars per dollar. It actually is a large Camry engine, which is one of the best engines ever made. The milage is good, so is the handling and pickup. There is nothing bad about this car, other than they are harder than the iMac g5 to find in a decent color.
  9. iMax531 macrumors member

Jul 29, 2003
    SF Bay Area/JHU
    I test drove almost everything out there in the 15-25k range, and I eventually bought a Mazda 3 Hatchback, or wagon, whatever you want to call it. Its an amazing car that feels much more expensive than it is, and the auto works great with the 2.3 liter engine. It's practical for almost anything, and drives great. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a car in that price range.

That said, I haven't driven the tC, but it's fine looking and has gotten great reviews. but for me, two doors was just too limiting for practicality.
  10. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    Recently i was looking at cars, because mine has alot of miles, and looked at these cars:

1) Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
    2) Ford Focus SVT
    3) Honda Accord V6 edition
    4) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutiuon, or the Lacer Rally Art model
    5) Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    6) Scion tC

these are just some of the cars i have been looking at lately. I would really like to buy the Audi A4 though.
  11. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    I have to tell you that there is a segment of the population that laughs at Hyundais, Kias, Daewoos, and now Scions... and I am part of that population. I think they are cheap and have no class. I am in no way trying to flame you, or anyone that has one, but the people I consider my friends, and myself, would never be caught dead driving one of those. I would go for a Honda or Subaru way before I would go for a Scion, especially since this is only their second season ever.
    I think they have a good concept ("cool" style, lots of accessories) as far as who their market is (teenage drivers), but I believe you will quickly outgrow being within that market, and will want a different car sooner than later.

My two cents.
    Lee Tom
  12. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
  13. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    Hey now, I own a Kia. It is a true Piece of ****. For the love of god, never buy a Korean car.

I love the TC, but all things being equal, for just $500 more you can get a standerd Camry, which is by far a nicer car.
  14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    You might want to change that to something along the lines of "best passenger car engines ever made. I think some of the guys at GM, Chrysler, and Ferrari might have a bone to pick with that.

Oh, and BMW inline-6's > any V6
  15. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    You mean, mean Mustang-hater. ;) :p

Oh, I won't hold it against you (yes I will :)).

raiderz -- I saw a Scion tC again today and I really must reiterate, it seems you'd be getting a lot of car for $16K! For reference, my first car was a new Toyota Corolla with automatic transmission, air conditioning, and the absolute bare minimum required to make it an automotive vehicle ... for $12K. :p
  16. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yuck, my friend has the Scionn. I can't stand it. The inside feels so cheap to me.

The two best cars in that price range, in my opinion, are:

2004 Ford Focus SVT (manual), SUCH A SWEET CAR

2004/2005 Mazda3 (also manual).

Don't get an auto.
  17. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    I think we're gonna be seeing a vast turn around in the quality of ford products. It'll take a while for the general public to accept it, but so far, ford's new cars, the 05 stang, the 500 and the freestyle, have gotten excellent reviews from the majority of the automotive press. Quality of interior materials, and the general fit and finish, which was always ford's weakpoint, have drastically improved. Handling and steering in these cars have also gotten good marks so far. A few journalists have criticized ford's use of a live rear axle on the mustang instead of independent rear suspension, while many others are amazed at how well this supposedly antiquated suspension technology is performing. I think the critics probably haven't had a chance to drive the thing yet, as only one magazine has actually had a chance to strap on all their test gear, while others have only been able to take the car for little babysat spins around the block. Motor Trend's test data show that this new mustang is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor. 5.1 seconds to 60 mph, and that's with the auto, MT didn't get to test the stick. They estimate the stick will be at least down to about 4.8 or .9 seconds. Its also the best handling mustang ever, i don't remember the slalom numbers, but they said it was better than everything except the race spec cobra R, which had an IRS, so i guess the live axle was executed pretty darn well. 300hp, 320lb ft for under $25K, with a 500 watt sound system, optional 1000 watt system, with a 6 disc in dash mp3 cd player. And just look at the styling, in and out. And we're gonna be seeing soon at SEMA just how much there's gonna be available on the aftermarket to mod these things.

sorry for the rant, but some times people stick with old news and don't catch on that times change. How many of you knew that Ford gets better quality and customer satisfaction ratings on the J.D. Power surveys than Mercedes Benz or Audi? Toyota and Honda of course are still at the top, but ford is above the industry average in these surveys, while many "prestigious" European makes are way at the bottom.

warning, on topic: i think the tC's an awesome car, they just shoulda called it the xC. stupid volvo.
  18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location

The reason it seems like you're getting so much car for such a great price is because there's a catch. There's always a catch. When people come here and tell us about how they can get a Dell with an LCD for $700 that's better and faster than an iMac, we just tell them about the build quality and the crap components used.

Well, I'm going to say the same thing about the Scion. You pay for what you get. I like the fixed-pricing concept, and I like how they're successfully giving people what they want without the bullspit, and the options that you want aren't bundled into separate packages in order to force you to buy all the packages when all you want is air con, pw, pd-locks, and ABS. However, the quality is where it'll suffer.

If I wanted a Toyota, I'd get a real Toyota and buy a Camry or Corolla for the same price.

Actually, I'd get a Mazda 3 hatchback like iMax531 owns. In orange. :)
  19. ooohbeggie macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2004
    for what it's worth...

i just purchased a silver scion tc (manual transmission) a couple months ago and couldn't be happier with it. nice ride, very comfortable (even on long roadtrips), good sound system, and the engine is pretty quick. plus i just love the way it looks.

i agonized over it for a while due to it being a new line and all. but all the reviews i read praised it and said that for the money you just about can't beat it. so far, i have to agree.

as for resale value and reliability, we'll know in a few years when they've been out for a while. but that's the same with anything new. hopefully the fact that it's a toyota will bode well for it in the reliability department.

anyone expecting it to be a bmw is missing the point. it's a stylish car for younger people on a budget. and for the money, it's a lot of car.