2005: Warmest year on record.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Abstract, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/New..._RTRIDST_0_SCIENCE-ENVIRONMENT-WARMING-DC.XML

Oh good. :rolleyes: :(

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was chilly last year though.

I imagine this means that another ice age is coming as a backlash. I hate snow, let alone ice.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that anything will change quickly enough to really help. It's going to take a disaster to make people change on a large scale.

3. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

NB: A global disaster. I don't think Katrina has had any lasting affect on people's behaviour, but everyone terms it a disaster.

4. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I LOVE snow. it has been a terrible winter in terms of snow around here, not nearly enough! I want a few feet on the ground! :mad:

5. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Do you mean a lasting effect on greenhouse gases? Because global warming didn't cause a Category 3 hurricane to hit New Orleans.

People in New Orleans seem just as out of it as usual though. Their mayor may just be the dumbest elected official in the United States.

6. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I mean a lasting effect on people's behaviour. I think it is hard to blame Katrina on global warming, but it did at least get people temporarily to reflect on the effects of a more unpredictable and extreme climate. I just worry that it will be easily forgotten, that's all.

Besides, population growth and energy depletion is the biggest impending disaster coming up... and that one will be global!

7. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

This winter has been really warm too, unfortunately. I love the snow and cold.

Here in Toronto, last Friday the temperature reached 12c!!!! Normally it should be well under freezing. This isn't an isolated incident either...

8. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

That is great - perhaps they should hold a poll or survey for the dumbest elected official in the US - that would be some interesting reading for sure ;)

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Talking about George Bush we are told by George there isnt any proof of global warming, and ignore that strongest hurricane season on record. The president has said so and he is never ever ever wrong on anything. There is no global warming.:rolleyes:

10. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Actually Dubya has said publicly that global warming is real. He just thinks that any strong measures to address it would hurt his corporate friends.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't forget that records are only kept as far back as like 1910 so Im sure that this wasn't the worst hurricane season ever just that anyone knows about. I love how Bush gets the blame for everything that goes wrong in the world, sure he's not the best but people also have to take responsibility for there own lives and actions. As for New Orleans maybe the mayor should take some of the blame but he is way to quick to pass the buck and never take responsibility.

That must be a record only 9 posts for this to get political. No need to count posts in this thread.:rolleyes:

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I felt no heat....only the freeze....i enjoy the freeze so i dont mind.

Bless

13. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Actually, aside from the political maneuvering around global warming, what really concerns me more is a general feeling I get that a lot of folks seem to believe that global warming is inevitable instead of preventable. It's obviously too late to undo the damage we've already done, but to plough forward with the assumption that we shouldn't mitigate greenhouse gasses because global warming is already happening and it's too expensive of a problem to fix - that's disturbing.

Although when we finally run out of useful oil (which I think is going to happen in the next 50 years - so in a bunch of our lifetimes), this will stop at least one source of emissions. It will probably also make the plastics recycling industry really, really profitable.

14. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I love snow and cold and so far this winter has sucked. Aside from a minute snowfall in december it hasint really snowed here in maryland since. Recently it has been very warm for this time of the year.
    The weather sure is freaky, just last night we had Rainfall, Hail, Snow along with lightning and thunder! :confused:

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'm in Denver on business and it's been 60 degrees here the past 2 days. Springtime in January.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Of course, but it'll be the fact that ice cream, frozen custard and yogurt won't stay frozen long enough to eat it in a cone that will get the public's attention to the problem. :p Now, that's a global disaster.