2005FPW and Gamecube/Xbox?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just curious to hear how the Dell 2005FPW performs when a GC or Xbox is plugged into the monitor via composite?

I had a look on Google and one site I found had some quite nice images. certainly tolerable. I plugged my GC into my sisters 15" LCD TV and the images just had a horrible 'edge' to them. put my mind at ease fellow 2005FPW users! please tell me the image is good.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They were probably attached via svideo and not composite. I've tried both and svideo is certainly a lot better. I have a panasonic Q rather than normal cube.

The problem is UK gamecubes don't support svideo. The xbox does (just buy a third party cable).

The 360 looks great on it via VGA cable though :D

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I've tried both Xbox and GC with composite and it *does* look horrible. Especially the GC for some reason. :(

Never tried with S-Video, but if what MacRumorUser says is right, then that won't be an option with the GC anyway....

Edit: I found some multi-console S-video cables that's supposed to work with the GameCube...

INTEC Universal AV & S-Video Cable (PS2 Playstation - Xbox - Gamecube - N64)
    GameCube AV-S Video Cable

Maybe it was these who required the digitial output/connector that was removed from more recent PAL GameCubes?

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Cheers guys, and cheers Dubbz! I'm going to get me that Xbox and GC S-Video cable. thats the best option for me too! It says I can plug all my machines into it and it only uses the machine thats turned on. or so it looks like.

If its good in S-Video then w00t

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

S-video made a small, but noticible improvement in the sharpness of the picture for my Gamecube. Composite looks all fuzzy in comparison.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I could not see that much difference maybe its because my Svideo cable i bought sucks...who knows

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I have both an XBox and a Gamecube (both US) hooked to my 2005fpw using the Radioshack multi-cable and they both look very good when non-stretch mode is selected (widescreen of course distorts everything). Just be sure not to have both consoles turned on at the same time.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No they just fail to mention that pal gamecube doesnt have svideo. Pal cube supports RGB scart, NTSC cube supports svideo.

The digital output is for component output 480p. I use it with my LCD TV in order to get progressive.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

This is all very good :) I bought the multi-console SVideo cable for about £3.50 this morning. should have it in 5 days. So long as its here before christmas I'll be happy.

Yea i'm really chuffed to hear that I wont have to put up with a bad image. like I said my sisters TV was just terrible with the Cube hooked up. It was ok in F-Zero where you don't really sit and look at a still image.

EDIT...
    so does that mean I wont get a good image from S-Video after all?

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Doesn't seem like it... :(

Dugged up this from Lik-Sang's FAQ:

I've Game Cube PAL version. This cable (S-Video) is compatible for this version? (2002-05-07)
    It will not work, the PAL Gamecube does not output an S-Video signal. (2002-05-09)

I have a PAL Gamecube - why is the s video output not available? (2002-05-08)

Nintendo decided not to support S-Video output on the PAL Gamecubes. (2002-05-09)

Edit: It should still work for the Xbox though. Who know what Nintendo was thinking when they didn't include s-video support...

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Bugger! At least my XBMC will look better though. But the GC... Sometimes I wonder what NoE are thinking... oh no, us europeans don't want good image quality! -_-

Hope the Rev will sort this out :(

unless I could somehow output the Cube to my PowerBook, which will be hooked up to the 2005FPW? I remember seeing some Firewire breakout box at our college. would that help or should I just stop trying and cry?

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i think its time to cry at that point....

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You could just go buy a TV, since that is really what these consoles are designed for.

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm getting rid of my TV because after 3 years with it I've realised its too big. I dont have a huge room so i wanted something with a smaller screensize but in LCD thin form. I can't go back to TV now :(

Actually... maybe this is just my sillyness kicking in... But I dont have to play my cube right now. I can wait till the Rev comes out, get Twilight Princess for it too. its compatible with the controller so I should have a right frivolous time.
    me=desperate mode.

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well your not missing *that* much, now if it were digital on the other hand and you couldn't get it to work due to NoE, now that would be time to be desperate.

16. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

I have my xbox hooked up to the 2005fpw and I've tried composite and s-video and only noticed a minor difference. Looks great either way.

17. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Sorry, but WHERE is the S-Video on the Gamecube? I can't find it on mine. I live in the US and definitely don't have a PAL one...

18. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

19. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

For Xbox, just get the X2vga, try googling it, it does true 480p/720p/1080i via VGA.

There is also a true VGA cable for the gamecube that works on all 480p games, as long as your gamecube has the advanced A/V port that the newer ones don't. Just make sure you buy the real deal and not some crappy composite to VGA box.

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Component.

Use the component cables/SCART cables. Will output then in 480p for the GC, or up to 1080i for the Xbox.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Unfortunetly the games that support 1080i on the xbox suck ass
    :D Crash Racing, True Crimes :rolleyes:

Though more games run at 720p. Tony Hawks, Freedom Fighters etc..

22. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I DO have the digital out port. I got my cube very early on :)

amazingly my girlfriend got hers in 2003 and she still has the Digital port :confused:

I have considered buying a Panasonic Q. The cube is my most played console so upgrading to a Q would not be a bad idea. my sister could have my old cube. invest in 2 Wavebirds. i mean my birthday is just under 4 weeks off so money won't be an issue. hmm.

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I tried my daughter's Cube on my 2005FPW via S-video and the Cube looked ass. But then, I'm not impressed by the Cube's graphics at all so this was probably a losing battle to begin with.

I would caution you to not expect anything beyond what you already experienced on your sister's set.

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Just get the Componant cables for both and a VGA/Componant adapter, or get an XBox VGA cable and the supposed (never heard of it's existance until now) GC VGA cable

EDIT:
    I got mine last year and it has a Digital port.

EDIT2: http://www.viewonline.com/pages/articles/innovationgcvga.htm Just found that - looks perfect (GC/XBox-VGA adapter in 1 box)

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I love my Q :D Seriously it's one of te nicest looking consoles out there. If you get it from Lik-Sang make sure you order the component cable or the special panasonic Q digital - rgb scart if connecting to an rgb tv setup.

I bought my Q way back in 2003 and of all the current gen and including the 360, it's the one console that looks class under your tv.

Wierd though having to use freeloader to load Pal Games instead of other way round. Though most of my games are all NTSC anyway.

Remember though to get progressive output all your games will have to be NTSC as the Pal Versions don't support progressive at all.

The Q has s-video native output and connected to the Dell 2005FPW looks fine, obviously not as good as component but a damn site better than composite phono.

If your viewing DVD's on the Q, they only output via s-video or composite, you cant use component (which is really strange).