Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conflictingpro

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
I found a hard drive on ebay for $40. It has el capitan pre installed for a mac pro 1 1. If I clone it to my ssd drive will it still boot? I would assume that it would but with my luck lately. I am wrong. I have seriously spent 3 whole days (16hrs a day) getting yosemite to work last time. And it should have taken me an hr maybe??

I am under the assumption that there are no "prepatched El Capitan" install dmgs out there. This is the only thing that worked for me since I am retarded! Its funny how many people are so impressed with how smart I am.... But this Mac stuff I just cannot grasp at all!

How much money would it be worth someone to help me install this ****? I wonder if I can do a "remote desktop" connection with someone and they can make it happen?

I can pay with paypal

Reactions: giovanni852

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I found a hard drive on ebay for $40. It has el capitan pre installed for a mac pro 1 1. If I clone it to my ssd drive will it still boot? I would assume that it would but with my luck lately. I am wrong. I have seriously spent 3 whole days (16hrs a day) getting yosemite to work last time. And it should have taken me an hr maybe??

I am under the assumption that there are no "prepatched El Capitan" install dmgs out there. This is the only thing that worked for me since I am retarded! Its funny how many people are so impressed with how smart I am.... But this Mac stuff I just cannot grasp at all!

How much money would it be worth someone to help me install this ****? I wonder if I can do a "remote desktop" connection with someone and they can make it happen?

I can pay with paypal

It should boot if you clone it

Reactions: conflictingpro

kisgyopi

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2015
Hi Guys!

I want to work Yosemite or El Capitan on my old MacPro 1,1.

In the machine there is a gigabyte 660 GT VGA now.

In the past once the Mavericks 10.9.5 boots with ati X1900XT. (The GUI was crappy.) I read many guides with no success.

I can create an installer (I have some hackintosh skill ;) ), I see the apple logo, after that the loading bar, but the installer isn't boot. The loading bar disappear, the disks stops.

What is the failure?

If I can make a right installer, which boot correctly, I have a spare 8600 GT and 630 GT to the install process.

The target will be the Yosemite or El Capitan installer working, and the 660 GT under Yosemite or El Capitan.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks !

Last edited:

deg3D

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
North Hollywood, CA
Heya dudes! I went through the simple disk restore method with the pre-patched mega download of Yosemite. USB stick restores fine, says Yosemite Installer an' all, shows up on desktop and even in Startup Disk list, but when I hold the option key to choose it to boot from, it doesn't show up. And when I pick it as the Startup Disk and restart, system just boots from my Lion HD still.

Any ideas what's up?

In all my reading I recall reading that if you have a Windows Disk (for Boot Camp) that you have to get rid of it. Is that a known snag? If so, how do I get rid of it? Just unmount it?

Thanks for any insights. :)

EDIT: Seems it was a formatting issue with my flash drive. All good now! Yosemite is running perfectly. Downloading 10.10.5 update now...

deg

Last edited:

deg3D

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
North Hollywood, CA
Is El Capitan install going to have to be a whole fresh hack procedure like this Yosemite one, or could we just upgrade to it regularly through the app store download of 10.11?

nox3r

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
CT
I created an account just to ask how can I delete 666sheep's script and install clover on my mac pro 1,1. I want to get hdmi audio working on my graphics card any help would be much appreciated.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I created an account just to ask how can I delete 666sheep's script and install clover on my mac pro 1,1. I want to get hdmi audio working on my graphics card any help would be much appreciated.

You have to delete the launch daemon. The file is in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons. You will also need to replace the two boot.efi files with the stock ones. Clover will not boot the modified boot.efi files.

nox3r

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
CT
You have to delete the launch daemon. The file is in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons. You will also need to replace the two boot.efi files with the stock ones. Clover will not boot the modified boot.efi files.
Awesome thanks for the help do you have any idea where I can get the stock efi

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Is El Capitan install going to have to be a whole fresh hack procedure like this Yosemite one, or could we just upgrade to it regularly through the app store download of 10.11?

If you have the 3.1 version of Pike's boot.efi booting your Yosemite system, it successfully masquerades the 1,1/2,1 as a 3,1, so downloads and installs from this running system are as if you were running a supported machine.

I've not performed an upgrade, but I imagine it would be as successful as a clean install.

You will still need to replace the re-stocked boot.efi's in /System/Library/CoreServices and /usr/standalone/i386 from a separate, running system (or Recovery HD) to get it to boot, but that's a simple hurdle to jump.

Regards, splifingate

benhurr

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
system is not booting after recent update / some system security updates on 10.10.5.
probably nvidia driver flags removed or gpu driver not ready for update. a bit strange since it was just "security" update. any ideas? some one had bad experience with recent update on yosemite macpro 2006? i should probably stop updating without necessity...

Last edited:

benhurr

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
some how i am unable to boot from my yosemite drive chosen as start-up disk using macbook.
it kicks me to windows partition instead. is the any way to fix that?
============================
EDIT
UFFF!@@!!!
new nvidia driver solved the boot problem. Thanks to old bootable nv card.
NV driver released one day later than osx update. Should be other way around ;)

Last edited:

blackrainbow

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
I wanted to thank everyone on this thread, and thank you Hennesie2000, for putting this stuff together. I now have Yosemite 10.10.5 working on my Mac Pro 1,1 and couldn't be happier. I followed the Henessee2000 guide (the long way) on the first page, step by step, and used the following files after searching the forum a bit when I ran into trouble:

- For whatever reason, my 8GB flash drive didn't work, so I used a PNY 32GB because it was the only one I had.
- Copy of Kernel Extracted from Essentials.mpkg - https://copy.com/UhlWrUCDGZilVttN
  • I couldn't use Flat Package Editor to extract it for whatever reason
- To boot the 10.10.5 installer: https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/com-apple-boot-plist-zip.578144/
  • Because I had a kernel panic error before this
- Can't remember where on the thread on got the grey/black boot.efi files but I'll just attach it in case someone is having all the same troubles as me.

I didn't do anything but listen to the directions and search the forums for answers, so thanks to everyone! I am only posting this in the rare case someone has all the same issues I went through and can have one post to refer to for help! Cheers :)

Attachments

• boot.efi-f738eb.zip
    407.8 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: giovanni852

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
some how i am unable to boot from my yosemite drive chosen as start-up disk using macbook.
it kicks me to windows partition instead. is the any way to fix that?
============================
EDIT
UFFF!@@!!!
new nvidia driver solved the boot problem. Thanks to old bootable nv card.
NV driver released one day later than osx update. Should be other way around ;)

If you are using a card that requires the Nvidia Web drivers you will have to wait a day or two after an OS X update is released. They never come out first.

Excruciates

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
UK
This morning I successfully installed 10.10.5 on my 1,1 (1,2) and everything went perfectly. I followed Hennesie2000's guide and installed Pikes fix. Huge thanks to all involved.

I've just visited Pikeralpha's website to say a huge thanks, but was met with the incredibly sad news that Pike is in a coma. His Dad is updating the site on his condition but I'm sure I speak on behalf of this community when I wish him well.

deg3D

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
North Hollywood, CA
If you have the 3.1 version of Pike's boot.efi booting your Yosemite system, it successfully masquerades the 1,1/2,1 as a 3,1, so downloads and installs from this running system are as if you were running a supported machine.

I've not performed an upgrade, but I imagine it would be as successful as a clean install.

You will still need to replace the re-stocked boot.efi's in /System/Library/CoreServices and /usr/standalone/i386 from a separate, running system (or Recovery HD) to get it to boot, but that's a simple hurdle to jump.

Regards, splifingate

Thanks very much, splifingate!

Forgive my noob ignorance, but not sure if it is the 3.1 version or not. I used the pre-patched Yosemite installer and then the PikeYoseFix-black patch for allowing Yosemite to upgrade to 10.10.5. Is that all good, or did I miss something?

Also, this, not really clear on: "You will still need to replace the re-stocked boot.efi's in /System/Library/CoreServices and /usr/standalone/i386 from a separate, running system (or Recovery HD) to get it to boot, but that's a simple hurdle to jump."

Again, I'm a relative noob at this.

On another note, I had 10.10.5 up and running seemingly fine for about two weeks on a brand new SSD, and while on Safari yesterday it froze and crashed my new SSD (according to Disk Utility and DiskWarrior) destroying blocks and and rendering the SSD unbootable, reporting kernal problems at boot attempt (screen flashed so fast I couldn't really read much more). I reformatted the disk clean, and it reports that it is all fine and OK. Thus I am rebuilding it now, hopefully the SSD is not really damaged...

Have you or anyone else you know run into this crash problem at all? I'm trying to suss out if I have a hardware problem with the SSD (disk reports fine after formatting) or if the Yosemite hack just went south and wonky for me...

Thanks again for all you input, I really apprecaite you taking the time out to share your insights.

peace | deg

deg3D

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
North Hollywood, CA
This morning I successfully installed 10.10.5 on my 1,1 (1,2) and everything went perfectly. I followed Hennesie2000's guide and installed Pikes fix. Huge thanks to all involved.

I've just visited Pikeralpha's website to say a huge thanks, but was met with the incredibly sad news that Pike is in a coma. His Dad is updating the site on his condition but I'm sure I speak on behalf of this community when I wish him well.

Oh dear, that is sad and unfortunate news to hear. Prayers with him and his family for a speedy and full recovery.

And indeed, I would like to express my gratitude to all here that have helped me unfreeze my 1st Gen Mac Pro in time. You all have much bigger brains for solving these issues than I have, so I really appreciate everyone's efforts concerned in helping me and the whole community get our ol' Macs back up to speed, as opposed to Apple, that would just be happy to see them reduced to boat-anchors.

peace | deg

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Thanks very much, splifingate!

Forgive my noob ignorance, but not sure if it is the 3.1 version or not. I used the pre-patched Yosemite installer and then the PikeYoseFix-black patch for allowing Yosemite to upgrade to 10.10.5. Is that all good, or did I miss something?

http://piker-alpha.github.io/macosxbootloader/

Pike made this page (upon the suggestion of his Father, Ralf) to help everyone interested get on-board with the same boot.efi, because most public downloads posted in these forums were compiled by @PeterHolbrook for testing purposes, and often in-complete (if they worked, at all).

I've been using 3.1 since (before) release in Yosemite 10.10.5 and El Capitan 10.11.x with complete success: I and many others can personally verify that it works very well.

Also, this, not really clear on: "You will still need to replace the re-stocked boot.efi's in /System/Library/CoreServices and /usr/standalone/i386 from a separate, running system (or Recovery HD) to get it to boot, but that's a simple hurdle to jump."

Again, I'm a relative noob at this.

Everyone has to have a start, somewhere . . . take your time, and enjoy the discovery <smile>

When one boots a modified installer (whether created through the 'createinstallmedia' process to prepare a USB thumb-drive/partition, or with the Jabbawok, @Hennesie2000 , et al. method I and many others have been using since we first had to fiddle with the guts of the installer to get Mountain Lion installed on 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pros (hence the "legacy" labeling)), the default "stock" 64-bit boot.efi provided by the Apple installer auto-magically overwrites or replaces the new, modified 32-bit boot.efi, and when a user goes to re-boot the machine to complete the installation, the computer will not successfully boot . . . it's necessary to copy-over Pike's boot.efi to the two aforementioned folders prior to ensure that the second stage of the installer will successfully boot.

You can tell the difference between the different boot.efi's by looking at the size of the file: Apple's boot.efi clocks-in at about 605kb, and Pike's 3.1 boot.efi stands at about 317kb . . . 64-bit vs. 32-bit has to do with the the implementation differences of the UEFI firmware Apple has used to make these things possible (too long to detail, here). Suffice it to say that the 32-bit .efi (originally created by Tiamo in 2009 to get Mavericks up on 1,1 and 2,1 mac Pros, and subsequently adopted/modified by @Pike R. Alpha) is a way to translate the 32-bit firmware dialogue into 64-bit software language, and enable the kernel to understand what is happening, and not react in Panic as it's immediately teleported from a Tokyo subway train during morning rush-hour, and into a farm just outside Lexington, Kansas, USA during mid-harvest, then back, again (and again (and again ( and again))) <grin>

The boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices is locked, and cannot be modified/deleted until it is un-locked.

The boot.efi in /usr/standalone/i386 is un-locked.

You cannot un-lock/replace either from the same OS into which you are currently booted, nor can you replace either with being logged-in to an account without Administrator privileges.

I've booted into Lion to modify the Mountain Lion files, used Mountain Lion to modify the Mavericks files, Mavericks to mod Yosemite, etc. . . . you can even boot into Lion to modify the El Capitan files.

You can also boot into the Recovery environment (Recovery HD), and use Terminal to make the changes.

(as Administrator, in Terminal (names and places have been modified to protect the innocent, and complement the not-so <s>))

To unlock:

Code:
# sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

To replace:

Code:
# cp /Volumes/Other-OS/Place/where/you/have_copied/Pike/s/boot.efi /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Code:
# cp /Volumes/Other-OS/Place/where/you/have_copied/Pike/s/boot.efi /Volumes/Yosemite/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

It is not necessary to re-lock the boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices to ensure that the installer/OS boots, but you can, if you so choose:

Code:
# sudo chflags uchg /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

On another note, I had 10.10.5 up and running seemingly fine for about two weeks on a brand new SSD, and while on Safari yesterday it froze and crashed my new SSD (according to Disk Utility and DiskWarrior) destroying blocks and and rendering the SSD unbootable, reporting kernal problems at boot attempt (screen flashed so fast I couldn't really read much more). I reformatted the disk clean, and it reports that it is all fine and OK. Thus I am rebuilding it now, hopefully the SSD is not really damaged...

Have you or anyone else you know run into this crash problem at all? I'm trying to suss out if I have a hardware problem with the SSD (disk reports fine after formatting) or if the Yosemite hack just went south and wonky for me...

Never, in all my time.

SSDs are tough, though, and they can take quite a beating, but software is, well, soft . . . <g>

Thanks again for all you input, I really apprecaite you taking the time out to share your insights.

peace | deg

You're welcome, @Deg. Peace.

Reactions: b-boyben and deg3D

deg3D

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
North Hollywood, CA
http://piker-alpha.github.io/macosxbootloader/

Pike made this page (upon the suggestion of his Father, Ralf) to help everyone interested get on-board with the same boot.efi, because most public downloads posted in these forums were compiled by @PeterHolbrook for testing purposes, and often in-complete (if they worked, at all).

I've been using 3.1 since (before) release in Yosemite 10.10.5 and El Capitan 10.11.x with complete success: I and many others can personally verify that it works very well.

Everyone has to have a start, somewhere . . . take your time, and enjoy the discovery <smile>

When one boots a modified installer (whether created through the 'createinstallmedia' process to prepare a USB thumb-drive/partition, or with the Jabbawok, @Hennesie2000 , et al. method I and many others have been using since we first had to fiddle with the guts of the installer to get Mountain Lion installed on 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pros (hence the "legacy" labeling)), the default "stock" 64-bit boot.efi provided by the Apple installer auto-magically overwrites or replaces the new, modified 32-bit boot.efi, and when a user goes to re-boot the machine to complete the installation, the computer will not successfully boot . . . it's necessary to copy-over Pike's boot.efi to the two aforementioned folders prior to ensure that the second stage of the installer will successfully boot.

You can tell the difference between the different boot.efi's by looking at the size of the file: Apple's boot.efi clocks-in at about 605kb, and Pike's 3.1 boot.efi stands at about 317kb . . . 64-bit vs. 32-bit has to do with the the implementation differences of the UEFI firmware Apple has used to make these things possible (too long to detail, here). Suffice it to say that the 32-bit .efi (originally created by Tiamo in 2009 to get Mavericks up on 1,1 and 2,1 mac Pros, and subsequently adopted/modified by @Pike R. Alpha) is a way to translate the 32-bit firmware dialogue into 64-bit software language, and enable the kernel to understand what is happening, and not react in Panic as it's immediately teleported from a Tokyo subway train during morning rush-hour, and into a farm just outside Lexington, Kansas, USA during mid-harvest, then back, again (and again (and again ( and again))) <grin>

The boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices is locked, and cannot be modified/deleted until it is un-locked.

The boot.efi in /usr/standalone/i386 is un-locked.

You cannot un-lock/replace either from the same OS into which you are currently booted, nor can you replace either with being logged-in to an account without Administrator privileges.

I've booted into Lion to modify the Mountain Lion files, used Mountain Lion to modify the Mavericks files, Mavericks to mod Yosemite, etc. . . . you can even boot into Lion to modify the El Capitan files.

You can also boot into the Recovery environment (Recovery HD), and use Terminal to make the changes.

(as Administrator, in Terminal (names and places have been modified to protect the innocent, and complement the not-so <s>))

To unlock:

Code:
# sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

To replace:

Code:
# cp /Volumes/Other-OS/Place/where/you/have_copied/Pike/s/boot.efi /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Code:
# cp /Volumes/Other-OS/Place/where/you/have_copied/Pike/s/boot.efi /Volumes/Yosemite/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

It is not necessary to re-lock the boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices to ensure that the installer/OS boots, but you can, if you so choose:

Code:
# sudo chflags uchg /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Never, in all my time.

SSDs are tough, though, and they can take quite a beating, but software is, well, soft . . . <g>

You're welcome, @Deg. Peace.

Wow, thanks once again, brother! That's really comprehensive. I will have to read it over a few times to stitch it all together in my head. Just one initial Q: replacing the boot.efi's as you have outlined; that is what the PikeYoseFix patch was doing, ...correct? Thus I would not need to run that fix-patch once I perform the replacement of the boot.efi's as outlined…?

As the copy of Yosemite was “pre-patched” I'm just a little unclear what it was pre-patched with. And just what the pipe-line to getting this all going is. I'm assuming the pre-patch was the boot.efi's, and then the PikeYoseFix was to allow the upgrades to 10.10.5.

I have a El Capitan installer flash I bought off eBay, could I just forget about Yosemite and move forward clean into 10.11.x?

Another note, my SSD totally crashed after I attempted a re-install with the pre-patched Yosemite. Can't even format it now, Can't see last blocks error msg. So I guess it really just gave up the ghost after just a month, grrr. Thus I have to send it back to RamJet and get an exchange, so I won't be able to get this all working until I get the new SSD. So if I go dark for a time, that's why. I will keep you informed once I get everything up and running again and moving forward with software.

And again, thanks sO much for the solid you are doing me with this. I really appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to go over all this with a noob like me. Really makes my day, TBT. :)

Hit ya back soon as I get my new drive.

peace, brother | deg

Reactions: splifingate

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
The copy of the pre patched Yosemite was just patched with the Pike boot.efi files and setup to allow install on a MacPro1,1/2,1. It is the result of going through my guide if you wanted to do it yourself. After installing with that you would still need to run the PikeYoseFix before updating OS X so that the Pike boot.efi files do not get overwritten.

cinehaus

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
The copy of the pre patched Yosemite was just patched with the Pike boot.efi files and setup to allow install on a MacPro1,1/2,1. It is the result of going through my guide if you wanted to do it yourself. After installing with that you would still need to run the PikeYoseFix before updating OS X so that the Pike boot.efi files do not get overwritten.

This is my first post and therefore I want to say 'thank you' to all that worked so hard to keep our ancient MacPros alive. I am ever so grateful to you, and for quite some time now, I managed to install Yosemite, and upgrade all the way to 10.10.5 on my MacPro1,1 (showing 2,1 after processor upgrade), with a NVIDIA GRX 680 (overkill I know). With SSDs, this machine still runs fantastically well.

Just wanted to share a failure with you guys, in trying to upgrade to El Capitan.

First of all, I tried with the boot.efi I had (never updated it), and it said "this version of El Capitan cannot be installed", so I replaced to boot.efi to version 3.1 (fresh download) at the two locations (not going to repeat the path, must be a hundred times in this threat). I had read that this fakes my model ID to something higher than 2,1, and it did.

I did the copying using Terminal, after I had booted to a cloned Backup-HD. But here the problems already started, because it seems that PikeYoseFix is using an older version of boot.efi. So I manually deleted the boot.efi.pike, made a duplicate of boot.efi (version 3.1) and renamed it boot.efi.pike. This took me one step further, as now El Capitan said that it could be installed.

But actually installing was a disaster. When you open the 'Install OS X El Capitan' (6.18 GB downloaded on another machine), it basically just wants you to confirm und agree, etc., then prepare the disk to upgrade, and then attempts to restart. But restarting never succeeded, as probably it wants to boot from some kind of installer, but this fails without our little 32 to 64 bit trick. Booting to my cloned Backup-HD also doesn't help, even though that worked, but then the El Capitan upgrade process on the other HD never happens.

In the end, my machine started to develop weird problems with my graphics card, and suddenly none of my HDs wanted to boot up any longer. The machine sort of started up (I could hear the regular happy chime), but then fans went loud, and a noise which sounded like it attempted to restart again, and again, and again ...

Needed to remove the graphics card, reboot, then use screen share from another Mac to do any further fixing.

Took me a while to get this all back to where I started, but I am happy now, back to where I was originally.

Has anybody successfully done the upgrade to El Capitan on a legacy Mac yet?

Also, it seems the PikeYoseFix should be modified to use the latest 3.1 version of boot.efi. Running the script currently always seemed to revert my machine back to some other version of Pikes boot.efi, which I could tell, as now El Capitan blankly refused to install on unsupported machine, whereas that issue had been fixed with the latest 3.1 version before.

Anyway, I will probably just stay at the OS where I am currently and forget about El Capitan.

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 12.23.14.png Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 12.23.37.png

Last edited:

themaze

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
Many months ago I broke my MacPro1,1 updating to 10.10.2 (was able to fix by recopying the efi files)

I was wondering, if I run the 10.10.5, will I run into the same issues? I apologize if this was answered, so many pages on this thread to cover.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.