2006 Australian GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Wow, did I really ge tthe jump on iGAV this time?? :eek:

Watching quali now...my prediciton:

1. Raikkonen
    2. Alonso
    3. Schumi
    4. Fisi
    5. Rosberg

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Button on pole.
    Webber 7th or 8th.
    Kimi, Montoya, Alonso etc filling out top spots. M Schumacher didn't make the cut, I think he was 12th or something.

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Did you see Schumi drive off with that electric blower for the front brake on the car? He ran it over and smashed it to pieces in the pit lane. Doh! somebody's for the chop over that little faux pas.

So, yeah, Schumi's out already due to that little rain squall, and Massa has destroyed his car. Ferrari has their work cut out for them tomorrow.

EDIT:

Ok, Chundles, you're a prophet...

1. Button
    2. Fisi
    3. Alonso
    4. Raikkonen
    5. Montoya

I really thought Kimi or JPM were going to take pole with their last laps, JPM especially (but he was flat-spotted after that spin). Button will fade in the race as usual; let's see if Webbo can podium in his home GP.

Might be a wet one tomorrow (crossing fingers).

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm no prophet. When I posted the results, qualifying had been over for more than an hour. I was just telling you what I remembered.

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hmmm, I thought that Speed was broadcasting live; it started at midnight (Friday) for me. Same for the race tonight.

6. iGav macrumors G3

I learnt my lesson a few years ago regarding getting up to watch the Aussie quali and the race live. ;)

WTF are Ferrari playing at though? :rolleyes:

Let's hope it rains. :D

Anyway... I could get used to waking up and finding an F1 thread already waiting for me. :D

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think there's a pretty good chance of it. The weather's been a bit ugly down here the last few days.

8. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

They certainly aren't setting themselves up for success.

I think we are almost certain to see some rain at least. My guess is that Shumi and Massa will start heavy with fuel.

9. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

ANybody know what channel F1 is televised in the states? I use to watch it religiously but, the awful Speed Channel always kept switching channels, and times.

10. MattQiu macrumors member

MattQiu

GO Button!!!

I think it's time for Button win a race :rolleyes:

11. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Channel numbers vary between providers, but for me (I have Dish network) Speed is channel 150.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, when I posted the results I had seen a full 19 lap V8 Supercar race that had a lengthy delay to clear a crash and a Carrera Cup race. You musn't be getting live coverage.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Speed is by far one of the best in the world when it comes to the commentators (One former F1 mechanic (with Schumi no less!), and one former F1 driver, plus another). The times change because it's shown live (except for the races where CBS has it this season,) and finally, the channel number depends on your provider and market.

And if you think Speed is awful, just wait until you hear Ralph Shaheen. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I completely forgot about quali last night, but I hope I remember the race tonight. I really like the Aussie GP, simply because it's the one I'm most likely to watch. :cool:

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

*Runs 'round room with top pulled over head, soccerstar-style*

Yay for one of the only races this year that'll be broadcast before 10:30PM. :cool:

Webber had better podium, this race.

15. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What a finish!

Thank you Jense for having the decency to explode (spectaularly) and park 100m from the finish. This puts Scott Speed in the points, and finishing well ahead of his DNF teammate :D

How about that harangue that Fisi got over the radio for being 2 sec slower than Alonso and failing to pass Button until the last corner (due to said explosion)? Not good for Renault, they'll obviously be doing some serious shopping for a new driver as Fisi looks unlikely to be able to fill the large gap Alonso is about to leave in their driver lineup. He was sick this weekend though.

They also had a great shot of Montoya almost losing it on that sketchy rumble strip on the last corner, only to have Schumi come over it even hotter and put the car into the wall right aftwerwards. Montoya seems to be capable of some real death-defying recoveries.

Sort of ho-hum drive for Raikkonen, though he did set fastest lap.

16. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I thought this race sucked, although the Honda spitting flames would make a nice wallpaper.

Ferrari were rev limiting their engines due to the piston problems at least that's what was reported during qualifing.

All those safety cars, oh well more time for Hobbs.

Bring on Imola!

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This proves it, Jenson has the worst luck in F1. Yes, worse than Kimi's. Recall the '03 Malaysian GP, where he was in 3rd, looking at his first podium, which Schumi right behind him. BAM! Suspension failure just before the last straight (leading to the big hairpin) and had to settle for 5th.
    Not a good for for Ferrari, and Alonso should have corrected Petey Windsor on the number of his wins so far this season.

18. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Yah, if Montoya would have continued that would have been a spectacular drive. But I wonder if he was destined to DNF after that parade lap spin. Oh well, we can always count on Juan to be on the edge and put on an interesting show.

19. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Great race. I think the BMW boys drove the best today

20. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

So when he and JV were teammates and JV's car broke down just about every race, but Button's was fine - how exactly did Button have WORSE luck than JV at that time?

Button proved today, for the 103rd time, that he doesn't have what it takes. He's fast in quali, but ultimately a poor racer. He'll never win a championship, *never*.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It'd be really cool if a Williams car made the distance next race. :cool:

22. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Apparently they've stripped Scott Speed of his 8th place finish, claiming he passed DC under yellow. In other news, Ralf gets third after passing everybody under yellow and not getting noticed. :eek: :rolleyes:

Speed was also fined for allegedly swearing at DC at the hearing with the stewards...I think that's F****** Bulls***. :D :rolleyes:

The ten grid position deduction rule for an engine change is crap - Button could have coasted into a points finishing position but instead they park the car a stone's throw from the finish. A dumb rule and IMO maybe not the best decision on Honda's part?

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I missed the race because I was at work, but from what I saw of the highlights later, it seems it was pretty much a disaster for most of the teams. So many crashes and engine failures!

24. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

hahahahahahahahaha :D

25. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I wonder if Button will ever even win a RACE.