2006 Chinese GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Counterfit, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Once again, iGav is slacking off. :rolleyes:
    Grid:
    1. Fernie
    2. Fisi (about damn time he supported his teammate eh?)
    3. Rubens (YAY!)
    4. Jense (Same lap time as Rubens!)
    5. Kimi
    6. Schumi
    7. PdlR
    8. Nick
    9. Bob the 1st (Polish)
    10. Bob the 2nd (Dutch)
    11. Scotty
    12. Scot
    13. Massa
    14. Vito
    15. Mark
    16. Keke Jr.
    17. Vomit
    18. Truly
    19. (Mitsubishi) Monteiro
    20. O-Taku
    21. The Admiral
    22. The Unweighed Dutchman
    Looks like rain tomorrow... (today? :confused: )

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I hope so, the last few wet races have been great!

Even better if it's mixed, Honda got the tactics spot on for Jensen's win in the last wet one :cool:

3. Counterfit thread starter macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm hoping for "damp", as that's when Schumi's at his best. :D

4. auto1 macrumors newbie

auto1

I guess the damp did work out well for Schumi in the end, though id be mightly hacked off if I was Ruebens. I know its racing but if it wasnt for Jenson's hustling in the final lap Ruebens would still have his position and front wing. Lets hope Ruebens takes it on the chin. I'd hate to see in-fighting in the Honda camp.

5. Counterfit thread starter macrumors G3

Counterfit

Sato's the one who ****ed that all up by blocking Nick and not letting him past. Did you see how he moved back in front of him under braking? BAD BACKMARKER, NO SUPERLICENSE!

Aside from that cluster****, that was by far one of the best GPs I've ever seen, and certainly in Schumi's top 10 drives. That pass on Alonso was perfectly set up (I guess JPM isn't the only guy who can do that ;)) and the move on Fisi was great too. Props to Kubica for having the stones to try the dry tires early, even though it didn't work at all. And how did DC not see Massa there? Perhaps he has protanomaly... :rolleyes:

6. auto1 macrumors newbie

auto1

Yeah Sato has always been a bit of controversial driver, seems that whenever the opportunity to tangle with someone arises he seems to always take it up...cant see him ever slowing down to let someone through coz there maybe a risk of contact etc.

Schumi's drive was pretty good, but i think that Alonso's drive to close down the gap between him and Fisi after he changed his front inters was more heroic than Michael's claw back from 6th to 3rd. In general I think that this F1 season has been the best in a long time, I mean Michael only takes the lead of the championship in the 2nd last race, and his lead is not even a points lead.

Suzuka should be interesting....I wonder who will be running a fresh engine in Japan becasue that is going to play a big part on who wins. That Renault engine sure worked hard earlier to day in catching that Ferrari, I hope Alonso will be running a new one in Suzuka.

7. iGav macrumors G3

Oi... :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

8. iGav macrumors G3

ITV's commentators were making a big noise about that... he was on the limit that's for sure, but then he had nothing to lose... where as Schumacher said that he had such a large gap, that he reduced the rev's to save the engine and did nothing more that drive it home. I think that Friday practice 1 and 2 clearly demonstrated that there was plenty more pace in the Ferrari in dry conditions, it's just that Schumacher simply didn't need to risk using it. Schumacher often does that when he's cruising the the win.

Sad to see team orders creeping in at Renault again.

Alonso carries over the same engine to Suzuka next weekend, as he was on a new engine this weekend, so he might regret pushing so hard when realistically his chances of a win were slim, but then... kudos to him for going balls out until the line.

I'm not sure about Schumachers cycle though... I think that he gets a new engine for Suzuka next weekend, though I'm not sure as I haven't checked.

Best season since 2000. :D

9. Counterfit thread starter macrumors G3

Counterfit

As it was happening, I was willing to put money on that being the case.

Indeed.

10. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Glad Schui is now tied with Alonso for the championship, makes the lat two races more interesting. Button is doing better now, its nice to see.

11. iGav macrumors G3

I counted that they executed separate team orders over 3 different laps.

The first time was when Fisi had caught up Alonso on the back straight, then overtook him, and then immediately let Alonso back through on the approach to the last corner after the hairpin.

Then the following lap in exactly the same place, but this time Fisi maintained position after he had overtaken Alonso. At the time, ITV pitlane commentators reported a conversation between Pat Symonds and another Renault member, that they had to let Fisi by, otherwise Schumacher would take them both and win.

The final team order came when Alonso took Fisi about a 1/4 of the way down the back straight... I bet Fisi's telemetry makes interesting reading there, what with overtaking being so easy in F1 now days. :rolleyes:

The sad thing is, Ferrari HAVE had the opportunity to employ team orders this season, Malaysia and Turkey spring to mind, but they haven't for fear of reprimand/ridicule, either from the FIA or the fans, yet here are Renault carrying them out several times in a single race, but there is hardly an utterance. :rolleyes:

Renaults tactics have not been lost on Ferrari though. :D

12. auto1 macrumors newbie

auto1

There is going to be a large void left on Saturday and Sunday afternoons after the F1 season is over. Yeah team orders can be bad for the sport but I guess when they are issued but are nonetheless ineffective they just make for great entertainment....I dont ever think there was ever a chance that Renault could have hoped to hold up Michael's Ferrari that was significantly faster than than Alonso's Renault. Its good for the sport to see big teams like Renault grasping at straws because their hardware is simply not doing the job. Lets hope next season gives us more Turkeys and Shanghais!!

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I was out of town this weekend, and I so wish I'd seen this one! :( :mad:

This is the most exciting season I've followed so far, and this race was one of the best. Alonso again showed he had the speed but Schu was amazing.

It makes the retirement so much harder to take - will we see driver duels like this after Schu?