2006 funding for New Orleans' Army Corps of Engineers cut

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 29, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

emphasis mine.

in 2004, louisiana voted overwhelmingly for the GOP. if katrina ends up being the disaster everyone fears, it'll be interesting to see what they do in 2006.

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

The same thing they did this year. The ACE could go public saying "we invented a $5 solution that could be implemented tomorrow and cut hurricane damage by 93%", and then a week later New Orleans could be washed completely out to sea, and people would still vote the same. "It's not my problem. I live in Baton Rouge."

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i guess they're hoping that the new orleans problem will have solved itself by next week (or the next few hours).
    hopefully katrina will reconsider and prove them wrong

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Could you please clarify what you mean by that last statement?

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It will also be interesting to see if the levels of National Guard deployments abroad have any effect on things for this storm. This would be a prime event to have it be helpful to have high levels of NG available.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

that she will turn away/weaken enough not to do too much damage, so we will still have an healthy new orleans and we will still need investmentss in keeping NO safe(r) for another such event

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Thanks. I completely misunderstood what you were trying to say. ;)

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

link

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm- surprised? As long as their off-shore investments are fine, they don't care. BTW- love the fact that gas/oil prices will increase tomorrow. What is it that we don't get about this administration? Oh wait- they're Christians, so it's all OK. :(

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Given my background of work in analyses of coastal hazards, I have no question about the need for the flood protection of New Orleans--if you just have to have a below-sea-level city. What I would question is the idea that the protection of the city is to such a large degree a federal responsibility, and to such a small degree a city and state responsibility.

I guess the justification is that the USCE controls of the Mississippi River have exacerbated the potential for flooding of NO.

At the rate things are going, they might as well fill in the bowl and start over. Anybody know how long a house can be flooded and still be salvageable?

'Rat

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Once your drywall's soaked through I would imagine that's it. No good way to dry out drywall, and if it's not dried out the mold will set in.

I wonder if we'll hear the same calls for a withholding of rebuilding money for an area so prone to destruction the way we did with the houses taken out by landslides in Southern California this past winter. At the time we had many conservatives arguing that providing federal rebuilding money was not justified (and was akin to stealing from them at the barrel of a gun) because the areas were likely to face that type of destruction again and the people there weren't being responsible for their own risk.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, my wife reminded me of another high-cost problem: Landfill. Furniture, clothes, bedding, carpets, vehicles, electrical/electronics. All that ruined stuff has to be loaded, hauled and disposed of.

I've seen the problems with rubble and trees and utility poles, but nowhere near this sort of scale. I was involved in the post-Celia efforts in 1970. Celia was like Andrew for power, but it hit a much-lower population area. Even with full-bore efforts, it was months before any real normalcy was restored.

Helluva way to increase GDP...

'Rat

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm guessing large sections of NO will have to be bulldozed clear. They're talking about not being able to empty the city of water for 3 weeks! The pollution in the water will render many otherwise salvageable places ruined. It's going to be a toxic stew. Power may not be restored to many areas for 12 weeks. Who knows when other utilities will be restored.

Always a good idea to have one of these handy.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, water purification gear is a good thing.

My wife's home and my home are independent for water supply, via wells. Pollution isn't a problem at either place. As long as I keep my 2,500-gallon cistern full, I'm okay. I can get by on under ten gallons a day if need be. We're used to having the electricity take a hike, and have generators. And, I always have a couple of drums of gasoline and diesel around for the Tonka Toys.

Funny: Back almost 25 years ago, I read an article along the lines of "What is a Survivalist?" I broke up laughing, 'cause just living in the country plus my hobbies had pretty well set me up as one. Heck, back when I was poor, the first purchase out of a paycheck was enough groceries to last until the next paycheck. That sort of habit never ended...

'Rat

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

nice to see a post from you, sir. and i like your sentiment!

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well I have had it with all of the poltical fodder out of Washington. I think that we need major changes in this country to better effect both this country and the world. I think of Cliff Burton's line from the last song he wrote with Metalica before he died.

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. These are the pale things which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot stand to bear witness to any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Who is this and what have you done with BTTM?

19. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

BTTM is still very opinionated, and conservative. But so is John McCain.

I am just sick of people dying. For nothing.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

a particularly biting op/ed piece from the new york times

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bah-Zing! Spot on commentary. I watched Bush yesterday and I was thinking almost the same thing: Once again, Bush is a day late and a dollar short. How can he not be more empathic? I don't think he'd be well received if he grabbed a bullhorn and tried to give that speech on top of a pile of New Orleans rubble...

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Being empathetic requires actual caring. I know it sounds crass to say so, but I've observed it before. Bush follows the old salesman's creed: all sympathy and no empathy.

23. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i thought the pictures of bush looking out the window of his plane were so telling...the man will NEVER actually get near a dirty situation. he'll look, he'll grimace ( for the camera...), he'll " feel your pain" but only if it means he won't have to miss a meal, lose some sleep, sweat a little or get his brooks brothers suit soiled. just like when he " works" on his ranch-it's all for the photo-op.

he is as detached from this disaster as he is from the turmoil of his war and the war he dodged.

and b2, props to you!

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

From our "Fearless Leader,"

BBC emphasis added

From the article already posted by zim,

Editor & Publisher emphasis added

It would seem to be a contradiction in these two stories. Hmmm .... who should I believe?

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This could turn into a huge guns and butter debate. In fact I think the Bush administration is going to have to turn a pirouette on a razor's edge to avoid it, when it becomes apparent how much in the way of manpower and resources have been drained away from important work at home by the Iraq misadventure. That blunder now has a very tangible price that anyone can understand -- the devastation of one of America's most beloved cities.