2006 Honda Civic Euro edition redesign photos - a nice looking little car

Discussion in 'Community' started by law guy, Jul 31, 2005.

1. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I saw this today and thought - wow, that's the BEST looking civic ever, that's actually very nice looking. The pictures were shots of the 2006 European Honda Civic. I've provided a link below - illustrations are at top of the page with actual pictures below.

With the Jetta, I've noticed a trend in recent years away from the "It's cheap, so we're going to incentivise you to spend more by making it look less desirable" (b/c really, the shape of sheet metal is not a price barrier) to trying to infuse the smaller cars with some style. This certainly succeeds in adding some appeal to the Civic.

I have a '03 Civic hybrid and was thinking of the Accord Hybrid, but these look really nice on the exterior (interior a little too something for me). A hint of Saab in there? I'll have to see how the safety tests turn out (curtain airbags please).

Here's the link:

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/civic/index.php

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Sorry it made me do a bit of sick in my mouth. It's hideous!

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's trying a little too hard to look futuristic IMO. :(

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wow...

Looks like a
    Saturn (head lights) + Subaru B9 Trabecka (big thing in the middle of the grill) + acura (front end from the side view) + buick (tailights going across whole car) + egg.

Are those triangular exhaust pipes and fog lamps? Thats a little odd.

And that interrior, yikes, the entire dashboard looks like its on a slant and I don't like how the controls for the radio are offset from the screen and A/C controls.

No me gusta.

6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

How does it have a saab like interior? I don't see a resemblance.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

[​IMG]

I like it, the old Civic was losing sales due to a design that had become dead boring. I am surprised that Honda went that far with their design. Honda aren't the worst when it comes to boring looking cars, *cough*toyota*cough*, but they were getting pretty close.

I really like what was written about the engine though. It puts pressure on other manufacturers to improve their engines across the line as well. Most companies anyway.

If only I could get a Honda engine in an Infiniti design. That would be sweet.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It did get the RL/TL exhaust treatment, I think Honda are defining and streamlining their new design platform.

I would rather think of the Civic as a baby Acura though, rather than thinking of an Acura as a Honda with benefits.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't mind the look of the car from the front or the side, but the back, good sir, is a disgrace.

The dashboard is not even centred.

The exhaust pipe is triangular.

This car makes my eyes bleed.

Also note that this couldn't possibly be the 4 door civic's design. It has no door handles for the back 2 doors, and they're not going to force a hatchback on everyone. There WILL be a model with 4 door handles, and a proper trunk/boot.

10. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

The civic was getting dull. I think they went a little overboard on that design.

I saw the infiniti M45 at Bradley International. Airport today at it is such an awesome looking car Inside and Out. (it was priced at $51,000)

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Yeah, compared the last Civic, it is a huge leap in styling. I am not sure about the grill, or lack of it, the plastic they replaced it with seems like it would age quickly when exposed to high speed and particle filled freeway air. The new plastic headlight lenses car companies like to use become badly scored overtime and end up looking dull. I guess engine cooling has become a lot more efficient as to not need as much airflow, maybe design improvements have changed on that.

Ever since Renault stepped in and basically saved Nissan a few years ago, the styling has become very European. Distinctive in its own way, but willing to take risks. I really like the M45, I am not so sure about the Quest though.

I don't know why the G20 failed in the US though, it thrives in Europe as the Primera.

On topic though, I can see Honda following Acura design aspects more in the future though. The RL is an amazing car.

The size of the car, combined with the placement of the wheels, suggests that it is going to be a car with great road handling. It looks as though it is a very well balanced little car, most of the weight seems centered. Civics have always had that dual purpose ability, unmodified they are good utility vehicles. When modified, they are fun to drive. This design suggests that they are going to be more capable when modified for speed.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

[​IMG]

So what's the fourth pedal on the left for?

Not sure I like the look that much - its almost looking like something Toyota would design.

D

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is that the world's least subtle footrest? :eek:

14. law guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

law guy

15. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

16. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

goes back to the "soup me up" look of the old civics. Not my style but it could be succesful.

17. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Looks like they went wayyyy overboard with the design.

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The footrest I think, I've always liked that feature. I've found that it is quite often too small though, it looks like that problem has been addressed. Even in a stick, I find I use the footrest a lot, comfortable spot to rest the left foot. It's really convenient in an automatic.

I've driven cars that have a high/low headlight switch in that spot. Pretty handy for those who don't live in the city. Not something I have found stateside though, yet.

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

:D witty.

20. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I don't like how everything is off-balance with the interior. Like nothing is aligned if you know what I mean.

I do like how around the stearing wheel the dash sorta curves in.

21. mpw Guest

There's a link near the bottom of the linked page that takes you to some shots of the four-door, it's much more conservatively styled.

I like the hatch with the exception of the mono-brow headlight. I bet the Type-R will be a scorcher.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

with the way they have the exhaust and the rear bumper, that might cut down on the number of civics with obnixous, loud, oversized fart cans.

23. Jimmery macrumors member

Well, then I guess I'm the first to say that I really like this car. In design, I think its looks push past all the other econo/small cars it will compete with. In Europe the hatchback is so popular... I wonder if it will fare better than the flop of the redesigned VW Golf. Too bad this hatchback won't also come to these shores.

To address the post regarding the door handles--yes the rear doors have handles--they are in the rear corner, at the bottom of the windows. This way, the handles are hidden, giving it a coupe-like style.

I've seen spy shots of the Civic sedan, which is much more conventional (and boring to me). :rolleyes:

24. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I hope so. If so I love it hah.

Those people need to understand that just because your car is really really loud doesn't mean its fast and/or ultra powerful. In addition putting on 12" chrome wheels, painting with super glossy paint, putting an enormous spoiler on it, and putting neon lights on the bottom does not allow you to street race on the highway durring rush hour. Its still an old Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Chevy Lumina or Dodge Neon that looks and sounds really stupid.

25. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Ahem, I believe 12" may be slightly off the mark. And I can think of one Eric in particular who just bought a Range Rover with 19" Rims :D I bet it looks sweet. I am glad that the fart cans are not going to easily fit these new Civics, I found them to be obnoxious as well. I say that in good natured jest EJ, you did buy a pre-riced Range Rover though. Please don't take it the wrong way.

Remus offer high quality exhaust systems that provide power, while looking like they are just high quality exhaust systems. They do offer some products that fall into the Chav category, but for the most part, the additions they sell look pretty good.

I have a Remus exhaust in mind for my car, it pretty much acts like a normal exhaust (while looking good but not screaming for attention) but is great for performance.