2006 imac problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frito1224, Jul 20, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

i have a 2006 imac when it gets warm it puts a horizontal line through the screen and then it will occasionaly freeze, any way to fix this issue

2. macrumors 68000

Sounds like bad graphics to me, so that would be a bad logic board.

So, yes. You can fix it by buying a new machine.

3. MTI
    macrumors 65816

Not so fast . . . if it's the 17" iMac, there are plenty of good iMac motherboards attached to vertical stripey LCD panels, that the OP could probably get cheap. :D

4. macrumors 68000

Good point. I'm just less inclined to consider the used route.

5. MacHamster68, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i would not go the used part route unless you want to go from one problem to the next , as the stripes are more common then rain in a british summer
    so a used logicboard is likely to devellop the same fault or others very soon , as a used board has the same age , and the faults come with age , a reason why those early intel iMac's can now be had for less then the price of a equal Mac mini (same processor) here in the UK as more and more iMac's fail (display /logicboard )
    so sell as quick as you physiacally can for as much as possible

getting a Mac is like the property ladder , use it for 1-2 years then sell it with profit and get a newer better one ,keep it 1-2 years and sell for profit ,get a new one, keep it for 1-2 years andsell for profit , get a bigger and newer......... and you never again spend more then £200 tops on a new Mac
    if you dont follow that strategy it will get expensive to keep up with repairs after apple care ended