2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kretzy, Mar 13, 2006.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

headerleftBP.gif
    Well it's only 2 days before we're all "united by the moment", so I thought I'd get the ball rolling...

I got to go to a dress rehearsal of the opening ceremony tonight, but I'm not allowed to say much about it (confidentiality and all that :rolleyes: ). I will say however, that some of it was quite spectacular.

I hope we see some good competition over the coming weeks and good luck to all the athletes!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Way cool. Can you tell us how you got invited to the dress rehearsal? Are you taking part in it? :cool:

3. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

A friend of the family is a marketing manager for one of the Games sponsors. They had all these free tickets to the dress rehearsal and asked if we wanted to go along.

4. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Well what did people think of the opening ceremony?

I was lucky enough to head down to the banks of the Yarra River to catch must of it, and it was really spectacular. The whole concept was excellent (except for the duck :rolleyes: ), the line of fish and flags along the river looked amazing, the music was lively and energetic and the fireworks were absolutely stunning.

I don't normally get all that excited about this sort of thing, but it was truly extraordinary to see about 100,000 people lining the banks of the river, all getting into the spirit.

All in all, a pretty class act if you ask me (though I'm a little biased perhaps). What do my fellow Commonwealthians think?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I missed it but from the photos in the paper it looked pretty spectacular. I've gotta get me one of those rollarblade/jetpack things. It'd be great for getting past traffic into uni. :cool:

6. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

So much for the thread I started in this forum earlier today --- are you guys intent on winning EVERYTHING????

But, for what it is worth, here is what I wrote:
    To all of the Australian members of macrumors --------
    So many congratulations!!!

I have been watching the opening of the games (from the UK). You guys put on such a blinder!!!! How do you do it?

If these games are only one eighth as good as the Sydney Olpmpics (the best organised and appealing EVER), or the Millenium Fireworks show (best in the world), then you will have done so well.

So looking forward to seeing the sports side when it starts, but the opening was brilliant. Lordy, I almost wish I was Australian myself.

I s'sose I ought to ask a question or something to justify this thread; um - er - will everybody be watching the games, including the Americans, or is there no interest?

But we DID win the rugby world cup.I think we (Johnny Wilkinson, that is), beat you --- is that right?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

*Pretends to not care* :(

:D

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I missed the opening ceremony since I was at work. Might see if the Beeb have got it on interactive and have a gander.

I'm not a big Commonwealth Games fan; it leaves me with the feeling of 'Let's have a Games where we can actually win some medals' for the most part although I appreciate the original historical significance.

I was in the 1986 Edinburgh opening ceremony as part of a giant dove in the middle of Meadowbank Stadium and running down the Royal Mile. I can still remember the song and the initial actions :eek: And the fact that I got a pair of Nike Air Trainers since they were sponsoring the event and they were still pretty rare back then in Scotland.

9. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Yeeaahhh for being involved in the Edinburgh games, but you have just got to admire the Australians (apart from their inability to win the rugby world cup) at being the BEST in the world at staging just about anything. Sorry you were working so late and you will so enjoy watching the opening ceremonies from Melbourne - they were spectacular. And, if you can take it, there is the rugby 7s coming up later -- awesome.
    Never mind enjoying the sport, which will be brilliant, why don't you and me at least, as generous and open-hearted Brits, just wish the Australians everything that is good for their stunning start at hosting the games? Pour yourself a glass of rocket-fuel, sit back and ------ enjoy!!!!

Will we win any medals? Probably not, but it will be great stuff to watch.

And just what was it like to be giant dove?? Weird.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Sorry - I was meaning the Commonwealth Games were held in order to give those who don't stand a chance at the Olympics a medal. Not that we should have another set to give even more people a chance at one. Yeah, I know... it's still a great achievement and all that... and I'll probably end up watching a fair amount of it since I do enjoy athletics etc. But it's just not the same as the Olympics since in some areas, the real world-class athletes aren't there.

Being part of a giant dove? Um... peaceful?

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I saw the BBC news article that followed the big opening which featured a crown green bowls team from an obscure island off the Falkland mainland and exclaimed outloud 'Yes, this is what it should be about. The celebration of sports played in the commonwealth, not just the cheering of Olympic semi-finalists whose profile wouldn't be strong enough to carry a cereal bar commercial'. My lady (the only one polite enough to still be listening to me at this point) somewhat agreed with me.

So I agree with you ostensibly ... but I just love the idea of turning up to someone's house and getting smashed over watching the finals of a bowls team from Islands small enough to be eaten by the town I live in to claim a major international victory. To me there is a sporting poetry to it that surfaces.

[mental note: lay off booze well before approaching keyboard]

12. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

13. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Yup - these games are going so well, at least for me watching them.
    Several comments/questions --- all benign, since I am having a riot watching everything.
    Do you think that the Australians are going through some 'reverse' evolution, as they seem to now be much better adapted to being in the water than anybody else? Their swimmers are frightening.
    isn't the Rugby 7s brilliant? Awesome to watch NZ again looking likely to win and how do they do it? 4 million people only, 25% of the under-25s not even in the country at any one time (back-packing around Europe) and ---- and they just keep winning. I cannot help it, but I have to offer my sympathies to the Australians --- yeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!!!, we beat them --- again ----, on their own ground, at rugby. (That was me being sympathetic and not wanting to be too gross about OUR win). Good match, though and a real nail-biter at the end.
    The only bad news is all the action is through the night and I am not sure I have the stamina.

14. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Good to see you're enjoying it all so much UKnjb!

After the first day of competition here is the medal tally.
    Picture 1.png

So far there has been some exciting competition and I'm sure there is more on the way.

Who cares about the rugby, we're still on top of the medal tally.
    :p ;)

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Scotland is in second place with two golds :eek: I'm all astonishment

16. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

You see, even after working late and maybe preferring the Olympics, you personally CAN make a difference! They will have picked up on your interest out there and produced the goods for you. I saw both those medals being won and you (the winners) did it so well and did it so convincingly. Now, if you could only apply the same Feng Shui or whatever to the Routemaster/bus problem, your fame is assured.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

This always makes me laugh:

Manchester 2002

Australia:
    82 Gold
    62 Silver
    63 Bronze

207 medals in total.

Then England with 166 total and Canada with 118 total.

There's a crap-load of medals at the Commonwealth Games eh?

18. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

It certainly is, but I have a feeling this year it'll be even more.

19. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Nothing to do with medals, but I have not heard/read anything that relates to the global sports-associated drugs problems with Melbourne. Have there been any pre-games announcements in your Australian media concerning intensive drug-screening schedules etc? And have there been any bad people who have already been tested and found positive? It all seems to be a low-key issue from 12000 miles away.

Oh, just to point out a little-known fact ----- we beat you in the 7s, only just, but we won! I might not have mentioned it before; cannot remember.

20. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Some drug paraphernalia was found at the Aussie Institute of Sport in Canberra, where some weightlifters (Australian??) had been training. Investigations are underway.

21. iGav macrumors G3

22. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Yup - so got to agree with you there. Totally.

I've just seen the finish of the rugby 7s. Well done NZ for the gold, but then that seemed such a certainty from the beginning; they are awesome. And I s'pose well done England - but especially Tait. That guy was superb throughout the whole competition. Sorry about Australia, particularly that guy (didn't get his name) who was severely crocked and had to be carried off. I didn't see the incident - blinked at the wrong time - and I hope that we get news that he is OK.

Roll on next week for the track stuff - and loads of Kelly Sotherton...... If only.

23. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Synchronised swimming

Brilliant games so far - end of week 1 and it's been so enjoyable.

Well done for whats-her-name for winning the Women's Marathon - that was a piece of pure guts and determination; so pleased for her.

BUT ---- I have just seen some Canadian lass winning a gold medal (Hurrah for her) in Synchronised Swimming ---- BUT --- it was Solo Synch Swimming! Uh???? Can anyone explain what or who she would be synchronised with? isn't that sort of event just sort of fancy splashing about in the bath in a girlie sort of way? Or have I missed the point?

24. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Here's just a little medal tally update:
    Picture 1.png

There has been some excellent competition over the last few days, especially in the swimming. I got free tickets to the gymnastics final yesterday, so I thought I'd go and have a look. Considering that I don't really like gymnastics, it was still great to experience it - 3 Gold went to Canada and 2 to Australia.

There is still a lot of athletics coming up so I hope there's some more good competition. I really hope Jana Pittman DOESN'T win the 400m hurdles - she just annoys me way too much.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles