Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
yellow said:
Did someone hear that? Sounded like a strong breeze mentioned something about the cowboys..

Hey, I'd love to have Boldin and Fitzgerald. I'll not get to watch much football this year (see location <---) but I've got some hopes for the pokes :) .

If you can't have unrealistic hope and faith in your football team, what have you got ? :rolleyes:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You're right about Boldin & Fitzgerald.. I don't know who the hell Johnson is.. but..
if there's any team on the planet that I'd like to see killed with hammers.. It's the coyboys.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
yellow said:
You're right about Boldin & Fitzgerald.. I don't know who the hell Johnson is.. but.. if there's anytime on the planet that I'd like to see killed with hammers.. It's the coyboys.

I guess when you're born in Austin, it's kind of ingrained, along with a love of BBQ. It's just part of us. :)

btw, who's your team?

fcpguy

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2003
Los Angeles
Fantasy Football

Ahh, it's nice to see that a football thread has been started. So anyone here into fantasy football? A couple of friends and I put together a league in Yahoo thinking we had plenty of interest only to have a bunch of people bail on us. So we are left with some open spots and I have decided to open the league up to the public today. The Draft is a live draft on Aug 26 at 11:30 am PST. It is a ten team league with a pretty standard scoring system. Experienced and newbie players are welcome, but only serious players please. Last year we had issues we people not playing after week 3 and it kinda sucked. Guess that's the problem with free leagues...Oh well....So if anyone is interested just email me a message and I will give you the ID and password!

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I used to work at Texas STadium. Got to see every Cowboy game and get paid while doing it :) I don't work there anymore but it was a unique experience. Generally they are always looking for Ushers who just stand in the portals (entrance way to seats) and watcht he game and direct people to seats. Plus the occaisional breaking up the drunkin brawlers.

I say this because I am a die-hard Pats fan and I have been to more Cowboy games than Patriot games :mad: It makes me sick in a way. I now have a bigger hatred of hte Cowboys than ever. ahahahaha. Plus I grew up DC too so I have a bigger heart towards Gib's Redskins :cool:

I saw the Skins play last night and I wasn't too impressed. But it is pre-season and nothing too special happens. Except for that Cinci reciever dancing in the endzone in the 3rd quarter.

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Junior Seau retired yesterday after 16 seasons in the NFL, 12 Pro Bowls, and many other countless awards. He will be inducted into the Charger hall of fame on November 5 (they waived the four year waiting period).

Other note: Leinart finally agreed to terms with the Arizona Cardinals for a six year deal that could be worth around $50 million.

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
yellow said:
Seau was a beast in his time. Will definitely see him in Canton.

Well he's going to have to put it off a little longer. Seau just signed with the Patriots ending his four day retirement.

At least he'll be playing with Rodney Harrison again. Those two were the Chargers defense back in the day.

Heres to another good showing by Rivers against the Bears.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Tanglewood said:
Well he's going to have to put it off a little longer. Seau just signed with the Patriots ending his four day retirement.

At least he'll be playing with Rodney Harrison again. Those two were the Chargers defense back in the day.

Heres to another good showing by Rivers against the Bears.
I guess the Chargers will hold off on that HoF ceremony for Junior, then. :rolleyes:

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
mgargan1 said:
Robbed? I really don't think they deserved to be there at all... look at their division... 49'ers, Cards (granted, this season they'll be better), St. Louis. They had 6 guaranteed wins! Then they also played Houston, Philly, Tenn. and Green Bay. Yes, they did beat some good teams, but they had an incredibly easy schedule

I just have never been a big believer in the "West Coast" offense. Montana/Young and Rice made it look like the thing to have, but that's because Bill Walsh was smart enough to tailor his offense to his personnel. Without those guys, it just doesn't work so well.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
quigleybc said:
Leinart is gonna be a bust IMO.......

he looked pretty good in that pre-season game. But that's definitely not the regular season, that's for sure.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
quigleybc said:
TEAMS TO WATCH

Arizona
Redskins (enjoy Randle 'crazylegs" El....he's a fumbler)
Chicago
Dallas
and of course the BURGH!!
I think the Stillers will have a good year, provided everyone remains healthy (that's always the big X factor with teams.) I also think Arizona will turn it around this year. They've just got too many offensive weapons. The Redskins, they just seem to underachieve year after year, and I don't see that turning around. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Terrell Owens is going to be a cancer on the Cowboys like he has everywhere else. Between Jerry Jones, Owens and Bill Parcells, you just have too many egos there for their own good. I say it starts to self-destruct around week 6-7.

Dave

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Dave00 said:
I think the Stillers will have a good year, provided everyone remains healthy (that's always the big X factor with teams.) I also think Arizona will turn it around this year. They've just got too many offensive weapons. The Redskins, they just seem to underachieve year after year, and I don't see that turning around. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Terrell Owens is going to be a cancer on the Cowboys like he has everywhere else. Between Jerry Jones, Owens and Bill Parcells, you just have too many egos there for their own good. I say it starts to self-destruct around week 6-7.

Dave

agree with you about the Steelers. Bettis is a HUGE loss, and I personally have my doubts about Staley, but they should be at least as good as they were last year.

Arizona...if they get decent offensive line play they could be good. I'm not so sure their problems last year were at tailback, I'm more inclined to think that they're just a poor run-blocking team.

Washington...pffft. Brunell is finished. But their defense will keep them in games. They should've made a play for Kitna, who's not great but would've been an upgrade over what they have.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
d wade said:
and for now we will see him in foxboro. gonna be a sad day for junior when he meets mr ronnie brown at full speed

I actually got to see Seau play once (this would be years ago), and the guy definitely lived up to his billing. I still think the most impressive thing I ever saw was when Seau came on a delayed blitz, and the opposing fullback stopped him dead in his tracks...I just didn't believe that it was possible.

guy's a hall of famer, for sure. First-ballot? You'd think, but you never know...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
beatsme said:
I actually got to see Seau play once (this would be years ago), and the guy definitely lived up to his billing. I still think the most impressive thing I ever saw was when Seau came on a delayed blitz, and the opposing fullback stopped him dead in his tracks...I just didn't believe that it was possible.

guy's a hall of famer, for sure. First-ballot? You'd think, but you never know...

who was the fullback that stopped him??

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
jelloshotsrule said:
who was the fullback that stopped him??

wow...um...this would have been the Jets vs. Chargers in 1991...

I think the guy's name was Brad Baxter. Not Fred Baxter, the former Jets TE...

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
beatsme said:
wow...um...this would have been the Jets vs. Chargers in 1991...

I think the guy's name was Brad Baxter. Not Fred Baxter, the former Jets TE...

I was too young to remember that game but I looked it up.

November 24, 1991
NY Jets 24 - 3 SD Chargers

The Jets ended up going to the playoffs that year with an 8-8 record while the Chargers finished 4-12.

That was only Seau's second season, I'm sure he made up for the embarrassment later on in his career.;)

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Carson Palmer looked pretty good in his first start since his injury. Though can't say the same for Brett Favre. The interception was tipped so you can't blame it all on him but what was with that fumble?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Dave00 said:
I think the Stillers will have a good year, provided everyone remains healthy

Dave
Hey

good to see you on here again Dave00, the more stillers fans the better.

Although, I don't like how we look so far....other than Wilson, and Ben....

But, I didn't think we were going to do too good last year either during the preseason (we didn't score one TD...) but then we all know what happened....

I'm glad C Palmer is looking good....I anticipate a nice rivalry between Ben and Carson for years...we'll see what happens when Carson takes a hit to the knee though....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.