2006 Pontiac Solstice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac 2005, Apr 14, 2005.

1. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Anyone sign up for an "early order" number at Pontiac tonight? Anyone actually plan to race over to the nearest Pontiac dealership on Friday, April 15, to try and get one of the first 1,000 cars?

This car is incredible.

Attached Files:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they are nice, but then again they are Pontiacs, thats why i wouldnt get one though, good nice clean design though

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Nice looking car, but I think I'll stick with my TT.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im jealous, i love Audis and TTs in particular....lucky man :D

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's not exactly the kind of car that I would be in the market for, but I think it's the best looking sports car in its price range.

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

gm needs a small car winner...
    As long as they keep this off of it.

7. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Mustang owner here. I like a lot of the new GM, Ford, and Chrsyler designs too. I just think that most of the people who share the same enthusiasm for these new cars wouldn't be willing to put their wallets down for one.

Case in point: Chevy SSR. Nice, big Corvette engine in a quirky, futuristic body. People were enthusiastic with the concept, yet it's selling terribly. People "wanted" a new Chevy Impala SS. Its sales are yet nowhere near the old Taurus + Impala domination days. The Chrysler Crossfire looks pretty neat too, and it's finally a Chrysler that uses some of the Mercedes chassis and engine knowhow (it's basically an SLK). It still didn't sell anywhere near the top 10 cars.

Back to the original post: is anyone ready to buy one?

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

i don't like the look of the front of the car. The rest is pretty cool for only 20k. I think I'll sick with my European cars though.

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I like the Saturn Sky better. Have to wait until next year for that one. But coming back to the real world, where would I put my scuba gear?

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I agree, Z4 is in a whole 'nother price range though.

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I don't know if i'd by the car, but I know I would love one of the fancy brochures they have for em ;)

13. roadapple macrumors regular

Having worked for a processes contractor during new plant/vehicle start ups, I would not buy one of the first 100,000 vehicles off the line (GM - Toyota - anyone) What for the mid year refinements, or the next model year, all the more so if your going to keep this little guy in the garage and drive it on weekends for the next 10 years.

Kind of like a rev a mac...

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

15. mac 2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Here is the Sky.

I need a car this summer/fall as my lease is about to expire. I want something cool after driving a conservative sedan for the past three years. And a convertible.

Not a lot of options in the $20k range. The Miata, MR-2 and the S2000 push or exceed the $30k envelope.

Attached Files:

• sky.jpg
      sky.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
  16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They look like the same car and either one looks good.

The only problem with GM cars is the execution. Shiny paint is much easier than good seats, good switches and gauges, etc.

17. mac 2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Just got back from the Pontiac dealer. The system is slammed -- the rep couldn't log-in, so I won't know if I'll be one of the "lucky" first 1,000 owners.

On a related note, the rep did have a copy of the Solstice brochure. They actually did use the winning project from yesterday's "The Apprentice."

It was a sharp-looking piece of work.

18. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Yeah, that was good. I couldn't count the number of macs I saw on that episode, including a g5, 17" pb, and g4 tower.

19. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

It's called sticker shock. MSRP is around $41500. Who the hell would buy a chevy for that unless it was a fully loaded deisel truck, or a vette? Does that SSR look like a $42,000 automobile? nope. Looks like an old chevy truck had it's way with a PT cruiser, and this is the result.

20. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

It's called sticker shock. MSRP is around $41500. Who the hell would buy a chevy for that unless it was a fully loaded deisel truck, or a vette? Does that SSR look like a $42,000 automobile? nope. Looks like an old chevy truck had it's way with a PT cruiser, and this is the result.

21. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I think the front of the sky looks a lot better than the pontiac. They look somewhat like fake porshes. Again if your going to buy a sports car it should be european. I was out in west with my co-worker with a porshe 911 Turbo. We were in the middle of no where and he let me drive it. One word to describe it "amazing". 1 to 60 in under 5 seconds, top speed 190mph.

For a $20,000 I guess they are pretty nice looking cars. I bet they'll sell well.

22. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The Sky and the Solstice sure do look similar. I think I prefer the Solstice.

23. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Agreed. As I was saying, pre-release SSR "enthusiasm" and "demand" looked promising, but sales were mediocre. Sticker shock should not have been too much of a factor, given the above $30,000 starting price of the camaro SS (the SSR was sold as a camaro "replacement" by car magazines.) Similarly, most of the responses here admire the looks of the solstice and feel it may be the best in class, but don't express actual desire to buy.

24. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I think the Chevy SSR looks like a futeristic version of the El Camino.

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I would imagine that they would... they're both GM products and no doubt they come off the same assembly line. Good way for GM to take advantage of their numerous product lines by offering the same car with slightly different body styles and features.