2006 Shelby Cobra GT500!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jeffy.dee-lux, Mar 20, 2005.

1. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Eleanor's BACK!!!
    This week at the NY auto show, ford will unveil the new top dog mustang. The Shelby Cobra GT500 will have somewhere upwards of 450hp, i'm guessing 500 hp based on the name. This is gonna come from a supercharged 5.4L V8. Motor Trend said in their April issue that this will be the same motor that powers the Ford GT, and also said the Shelby Stang will get the full 550hp. There haven't been any confirmed reports on the specs for this car, so we shall see on the 23rd, although there are rumours that specs will be anounced tonight at midnight.
    The only thing we hear from ford so far is in an article about the new SVT Adrenalin, a 390hp version of the revised Explorer Sport Track shown at Detroit.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=20470

all they say about the stang in there though is this:
    "Along with the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 - which will go on sale in 2006 - Adrenalin will continue SVT's product momentum that has been growing since the introduction of the acclaimed Ford GT super car in 2004."

So it seems the Shelby Mustang will be built by SVT, but not labeled as one. The naming of the top dog stang has been the subject of quite a lot of debate in the huge mustang enthusiast crowd.

Check out this forum over at TheMustangSource.com for the latest info and TONS of speculation:
    http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showforum=77
    My name over there is mustang_sallad, if you're curious.

2. bentley macrumors 6502

a-ha!

so that's why GWB isn't signing up to Kyoto!

I hate pretty much every other "muscle car" except Mustangs.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Your first link brings up:
    Am I the only person who almost sees that as "HIGH-PERFORMANCE SLUT"? :confused:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Good news for Ford, while bad news continues for GM as they cancel the Zeta platform...
    Edit: Can you say FWD or AWD Camaro as GM looks to the past to recreate the modern version of the Mustang II... [​IMG]

5. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

6. Dave the Great macrumors regular

Did they cancel it because they now have the new Kappa platform, which is rear-wheel drive and uses hydorformed metal?

I know the pontiac solstice is based on this and I think there was a saturn that was announced to use it.

BTW, I LOVE the new Mustang!!

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems they may be cutting more platforms and shifting more towards the wordwide platforms, or revamping platforms that actually represent a % of production. GM is in a bit of trouble.

The Kappa seems to be a Miata niche platform, probably not up to the task of a Camaro, Buick Velite, or GTO (which sort of didn't explode in sales.)

Edit: Actually looking at the recent moves of General Motor and the GM bonds (which are sinking rapidly and hover a tick above junk bonds) -- they aren't just hurting, they are in save the company mode. So we could see a huge GM stock price drop real soon.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Given the SportTracs tendency to roll over, putting a high performance engine in one is just begging for trouble.

Just avoid corners or turning I guess.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, you'll just roll over faster than before!

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Anybody going to take bets on how teenagers are more likely to kill themselves in the Sport Trac Adrenalin, tree vs. truck or rollovers... :(

11. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

It's just popular.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

meh, its made by ford, i cant stand ford, although i can appreciate the new look of the mustang i would never buy one, my family only buys ford and have had nothing but problems, as do most people from what i see around me....

13. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

GM

The new mustang is really cool looking, and takes it's looks from the original. I never cared for Mustangs or Fords in general, but GM should learn a thing or two from this. They need to stop with the pathetic redesigns of once classic cars, and do something truly worthy of the names.

The new GTO is a freakin joke, and the new Charger, ugh.

C'mon GM, how about bringing back a worthy successor to, oh I don't know, how about the LS6 Chevelle? :eek:

14. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

I mean...

What I meant was GM and Chrysler should learn a thing or two... :rolleyes:

15. ddtlm macrumors 65816

AhmedFaisal:

I can't remember a less than 4L 550HP+ HP engine (in a production car!), what motor are you thinking of?

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't see why they can't build an all-motor GT500. Why the supercharger? A 5.4 V8 should easily be able to get 450HP. You'd think that Ford would be able to come up with a motor that equals the specific output of the M5 or S2000 et. al. Instead they reach into the parts bin for the effective, but unspectacular 5.4 V8. Traditional musclecars had big understressed engines too but I think that is an anachronism today. OTOH When I think musclecar I don't usually think forced induction or supercharging, either.

I like the new 'stang but I think that car execs are retaining the wrong bits of musclecar heritage (stone-age suspension, low specific output). Why not just restart the production line for the '67s (with galvanized steel this time :D )?

As for that Sport Trac, rubbish. I fear for MY life when I see one drive by.

GM is really in the Sh*tter as of late. They've got more trouble than just losing the musclecar battle - although I think the GTO is a travesty. They should have given the Aussies credit and just sold the thing as a Holden, instead of pretending they re-invented the GTO. The "restyle" made it look like a rear-drive Grand Prix (something the Grand Prix should be anyway, but that's a different issue altogether...). It doesn't seem to be selling anyway, so its a moot point.

17. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Jaguar XJ220 - 542BHP - 3.5L V6
    Mitsubishi manage to get 340BHP out of their 2L EVO VIII engine. It always amazes me how little Ford manage to get out of their big lumps.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Those cars are turbocharged though. What he was referring to was a naturally aspirated engine.

19. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Yes. But...

Both of those cars look like azz, and the Jaguar will be lucky to get 10,000 miles on it before its in the sh*tter. The Mitsu may be more reliable than the Jag, but I'd take the Mustang any day.

20. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahh, but your outdated post did not have the latest news....
    behold, the first picture of the 2006 or 2007 Shelby GT500 (what you talking about, its plenty big enough a pic!):

Attached Files:

21. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is not a repost for back in february, no one outside of Ford was sure what this car would be called, beyond speculation by various magazines and so forth. Now its official, the top dog stang will have the Shelby name on it, which has some SVT faithful a little peeved, which surprises me.

As far as power/displacement... it don't mean a thing in terms of engineering prowess unless you actually get any benefits from it. Unless you're getting more power per fuel flow rate, or unless the whole drive train is lighter in weight, it doesn't get you anywhere.

hp/litre means nothing

Power at the wheel/ (caloric value of fuel) * fuel flow rate means everything.

I don't know what the specific output of the 5.4 litre supercharged engine is at all, or how those japanese cars fair. But this stang is SEXY!

admit it!

22. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. Lame analogy... but anyway... I'm no Ford apologist, though I do like the Mustangs. I would say any sub $30K car with a 5 sec. 0-60 MPH time is showing more than a little performance. :rolleyes:

I like Mustangs for the history behind them and their styling. I also dig the straight off the line power and nice growl of the engine. All things those pansy "gymnast" cars ain't got.

I will freely admit that Mustangs and American bred sports cars in general are lacking in the extreme handling area. However, I dont think anyone who actually owns those cars (at least the VAST majority) ever actually push the cars performance beyond the occassional stop light to stop light race or the occassional curvey mountain road. So I think the handling they do possess is more than enough.

23. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

i would like to call everyone's attention to this pic i posted in the last mustang thread:

[​IMG]

that's the Grand Am 200. '05 stangs took first and second place in that race, ahead of all sorts of M3's and Porsche 996's. In the latest race, just last week or something i believe (that other pic's about a month and a half old), two mustangs placed 3rd and 4th, behind two M3's. A slight disappointment, of course, but in a field of about 75 cars or so, largely dominated by those two highly praised German sports car models, i'd say this new stang is doing pretty well, despite its supposedly "stone-age" live axle rear suspension set up.

I would now like to point everyone's attention to the fact that never would i ever own a car like this Shelby Mustang. As much as my inner caveman loves it, I could never justify owning such a beast. I value fresh air and a healthy planet far more than a loud, gutsy looking car. Its an inner conflict that i struggle with every day. I sincerely hope that some day, like in horse riding days of yore, we'll be able to be proud of our glorious modes of transportation without the shame of the impact we're having on our surroundings.

some day...
    :D

24. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Streetracing! All revere the mountain pass hooligan tearing down a 15 mph road at 30!

Try roadracing, or at least a weekend driver education course at your local road course. If you do, you'll find many, many mustangs, vipers, corvettes, porsches, and camaros, and very few turbocharged 4 bangers. Just so you know, one of your mountain racing cohorts just died a few days ago in Glendora, California. Flew off a ravine on a winding road into 100 ft. deep water. Divers didn't find his body for days. Of course it wouldn't happen to you. You know your limits. Not an ad hominem attack, just an attempt to get you to slow it down on public roads.

And get it out of your system. Any kid who tells you that a car pushing 300 lb/ft of torque will die uphill has his turbocharger on backward. Further (and this is the part that really kicks your butt), installing an open exhaust in any 4 banger results not in a tasty v8 growl, but in the typical Honda coffee can exhaust of Main Street East or West coast, USA.

Your previous rants about the inferiority of Vettes, Vipers. and Mustangs vis a vis Evos and their ilk are similarly misguided. Road & Track editors did the west loop of Button Willow (a racetrack in central california) in 66.3 seconds for the vette, 66.6 for the viper, 66 for the 911 S, 68 for the Lotus Elise. (R & T, March, 2005.)

Your specific output argument does hold water. Make sure you tout it while you're getting routed by those v8's on the track.

XOXO HTH

25. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

HOT NEW VIDEO!

a quick little video of Shelby himself with Hau Thai Tang riding shotgun taking a test mule for a spin.

If you've got a 4-banger sounding like that, please record and post!

EDIT: important part -
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/MultimediaLanding