2007 Fiesta Bowl - Instant Classic!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by echeck, Jan 1, 2007.

1. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Did anyone watch this game?!?!

This was the single best game I've ever seen in my entire life.

Those plays at the end were incredible!

Definitely an Instant Classic.

"Can BSU play with the big dawgs?" Please!!

:cool: :D :D :cool:

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Unbelievable game, it'll be keeping a spot on TiVo for a while.

As a Longhorn fan, I was rooting for BSU. Way to go Broncos!

3. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Yeah, I wish I had a DVR right now! But it looks lke it'll be on iTunes for $6.99, so that works too.

I'm definitely a BSU fan, but I don't usually get in to the games like I did that one. My voice is actually a little scratchy right now, and it was just my wife, 13 month old son and myself watching the game.

My wife had to keep getting up because she couldn't handle the nerves, it was hilarious! :D

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Wha?? you should be rootin for the big 12 as im sure the payout is alot bigger for the winner than the loser and alot of that payout goes to the rest of the big 12 teams....including texas

why not root for your conference to do well? it only validates the quality of the teams in that conference if anything if they win the bowl games

It was a great game but NO game will EVER be better than the UPSET of the unbeatable and 2 time defending national champion USC by Texas last year for THE championship in the rose bowl. Best game ever played end of story but this was pretty good too.

I was dissapointed Michigan didn't really compete with USC. That was my biggest downer today in terms of sports

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It was a good game to bad the BCS is messed up.

6. ducttape macrumors newbie

ducttape

Who saw the Fiesta Bowl?!!

I must say, Boise State and Oklahoma put on a show tonight! Especially the Broncos when converting on a 4th and 18 to force the game into overtime, the halfback touchdown pass on 4th and 2 in overtime, and the Statue of Liberty 2-point conversion to Ian Johnson?! All of those three critical plays were perfectly executed trick plays!! Not to mention Johnson proposing to his girlfriend on national television?!

Not to mention, I go to the University of Texas. So to see Oklahoma lose in such a fashion is kind of fun :D

Go Broncos! And give us a playoff system, BCS people!

How did y'all like it?

7. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I didn't watch the game, but i did do a search for it on youtube after i read your post... and wow. I missed a good one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENwDDB0dlRk&NR

Who would have thought to look out for a statue of liberty play in 2007?!

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It was one of the best college football games I've ever seen. I was so disappointed when Oklahoma came back, although I enjoy a good, close game. But, Boise State pulled out the plays...it was unbelievable! This is why I love college football, and bowl season!

9. islandman macrumors 6502

I'm a Miami Hurricane (please don't shoot me), but I really enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl! One of the best games ever.

10. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I saw the fourth quarter and overtime.

Great Game!

11. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    best....college football game....ever

wow.

I'm just a casual college football fan (huge pro fan), so the first bowl game I've watched this year happened to have been the Fiesta last night.

I knew about Boise State and their undefeated season and felt all year that they deserved more credit for what they had done - especially with a first year coach! I wanted to check out the game and see if they could "run with the big dogs" like Oklahoma. (I'm from New Jersey and was pretty tired of the whole Rutgers thing at about midseason. Yes, the Louisville win was impressive, but playing Syracuse and the like shouldn't really get you an 8 page special section in The Star Ledger.....)

The end of that game was incredible. For Oklahoma to come all the way back, then run that pick back to take the lead with under a minute to go....I thought it was over, that Cinderella wasn't even going to make it back to the pumpkin after all. They drive the field to score...then the Sooners score on the first play of OT, and I once again thought OK, NOW they're done for. The choice to go for the win took....guts (family internet...). The choice to run the ol' Statue of Liberty was brilliant.

What a game. Glad I stayed awake.

I could have done without the on-camera marriage proposal at the end....but I guess that was just taking advantage of an opportunity.

Congrats to all the Idahoans and their fans.

12. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

UT vs. USC was a better game because of the tradition-rich programs, the talent, and because it was for the "mythical" national championship...that much I'll agree.

However, there is no way you can convince me that the 2006 Rose Bowl had a better ending than the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. Boise State and Oklahoma scored 22 points in the final 90 seconds, overtime, the trick plays, and a marriage proposal...simply incredible!

What makes it even better was that Boise State did it with guts and heart. OU was littered with 5* and 4* recruits, and yet they still lost to some kids that no major program wanted out of high school.

13. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Amen. I'll take Saturdays in the fall over NFL Sundays everytime!

14. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

I could've kicked myself for missing it; I turned it off after it was 14-10 Boise, feeling that Oklahoma had gotten their rhythm and that Boise would go down. But after the Michigan loss, I didn't really have the energy to sit up through another game. Lloyd got one thing right after the OSU game: the call for a playoff! :eek:

15. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

The only bowl game I watched all day was BSU v. OU, and I only saw the last bit of the 4th quarter and the OT. Some of the best 20 minutes of football I have ever seen. I'm not a BSU or OU fan and the statue of liberty had me on my feet!

16. Keebler macrumors 68030

that was a fantastic game. the playcalling was the guttiest i've ever seen in a big time game.

that showed confidence and a "hey, we really deserve a shot at the big title'.

and i love the fact OU came back too. made it quite interesting to say the least.

they need a playoff system in a big, big way. BUT, i highly doubt the NCAA will do it unless they can make big $$$ out of it. having all these bowl games is big time money for them. maybe they could change the format to still reel in the $$, but in the end, they are not about sports.....they are just like the NFL.

a business which just happens to be sports oriented so they'll do what brings in the most $$$$.

Still, that may sound pessimistic, but that game last night, totally reinforced why college ball is better than the nfl (in some eyes). it's all about winning whereas the nfl isn't always about that (ie. terrell owens). the college guys just want to win and will do anything to get it done.

i'm sitting down to watch the next game tonight and the big one next week :)

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

amazing freaking game. from the OU comeback, to 3 touchdowns in the last 1.5 minutes of regulation. and then going for 2 with that awesome play.

does anyone else think that the final TD of regulation (by BSU) was at least somewhat planned/practiced? the receiver was 3 yards shy of a first down, and had the smarts to pitch it to his crossing teammate. and THAT guy had the awareness to see the pitch coming, and take it in stride for the TD... i don't know, something about that play just knocked me off my feet. that sort of quick awareness is amazing. so either these players are really good, or that was at least partially planned. so awesome

18. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Great game!

And now I can take a break from football until the national championship. Thanks BCS for making it unnecessary to watch more than one bowl game. What a great system...:rolleyes:

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just another vote for this game as one of the great ones. I actually tuned out for most of the second half to watch a DVD, but came back in time to see the final five minutes plus overtime. That was one of the most exciting endings ever.

I gotta compliment Fox for the shots of the fans in the stands. Frustration, joy, prayer, nail-biting...they showed the whole gamut of emotions that the fans were experiencing.

20. ducttape macrumors newbie

ducttape

definitely planned and practiced... judging from what i've read on espn.com, they practice that play every scrimmage prior to a saturday game... and it until now never worked :)

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

22. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Too bad I missed it.

I was hoping to see the Wisconsin game but missed that too. My niece was getting married. :(

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Didn't see it, just the clips afterwards. Wow. What caught my eye in this thread was an actual complimentary remark about Fox from TV. That's an instant classic, too! :D

24. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Those guys practice the "Hook and Ladder" every Friday, but it never seemed to work out for them. Of course they were going against their own defense, so the defense knows what to look for when it's set up. That's probably why it never works in drills, because the defense has an edge on real opponents by knowing the playbook. ;)

That said, every team is aware of the "trick" plays, even Stoops (OU coach) tried to prepare his team to look out for them by watching video of prior BSU games. But I guess you never really know when it's coming, and the Statue of Liberty was pretty convincing, so I don't think OU ever had a chance.

Man, I gotta say, with all the media coverage this game has received, seeing it on every sports channel and talked about all over the news, I'm pretty proud to be a BSU Bronco right now. :)

Just an absolutely amazing football game.

And I'm with the others here in saying that college ball is SO much better than the NFL. College boys have something to prove and are giving 110%, it seems like the pros are just there to collect their paycheck. :rolleyes:

25. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Why would somebody shoot you for being a cane?;) ...Anyways I actually attend the U, and even though it was a down year for my canes, I was real happy BSU won. It was an incredible game, its in my top 5 thats for sure.